• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobStrauss

Reaction score
Got my new black stands in the mail today. Awesome shoes, but very stiff.

Is it OK to use the AE conditioner on them while I'm breaking them in?

Have you owned AE shoes previously?

I ask because I felt the same way about both pairs I own after purchasing them (Strands and Mcallisters). They were really stiff and also just looked "too polished". After 10-20 wears they fit like old baseball gloves and take on a more natural look. Not having any imperfections on your shoe at all looks weird, in my opnion.

david 112358

Reaction score

Have you owned AE shoes previously? 

I ask because I felt the same way about both pairs I own after purchasing them (Strands and Mcallisters). They were really stiff and also just looked "too polished". After 10-20 wears they fit like old baseball gloves and take on a more natural look. Not having any imperfections on your shoe at all looks weird, in my opnion. 

I have a pair of Aberdeens that I bought to be my "rain" shoe, but those are hardly a dress shoe- more like a short hiking boot.

The strand is the first good dress shoe I've bought in a very long time. I just don't want to screw them up at the start.

motosacto

Reaction score

The strand is the first good dress shoe I've bought in a very long time. I just don't want to screw them up at the start.

High quality Goodyear-welted leather sole dress shoes feel very different from less expensive shoes built with athletic-shoe manufacturing processes.

I recommend that you just start wearing them and don't mess with chemicals to try to break them in. If the leather is dry, they might benefit from an early treatment with cream polish. Otherwise, just starting putting the miles in and polish as necessary.

You might want to check the sole wear around the toe after a few days. If they're shoing a lot of wear there, having a cobbler add toe taps will extend the sole life a lot.

REguy

Reaction score
Apologies if someone already mentioned this, but Polo has a few good deals going right now. They've got their Slaton cap-toe, Sanderson LWB, and Saunders chukka, all in snuff suede, on sale.

Odradek

Reaction score
Just noticed on the AE website that the walnut MacNeil is now labeled a close out style, and selling at a discount.
Surely they wouldn't discontinue such a classic and best selling shoe?
Would they?

I can only hope for a return of the burgundy MacNeil as I missed the recent web gem.
That should be a regular model.

GameEnder

Reaction score
Just picked up my first two pairs of Allen Edmonds. After trying a bunch on in-store, I ordered seconds of the Rutledge and Jefferson. With the holiday discount I picked up both pairs for around $640 w/ tax... very happy with them. Thanks to all for contributions that helped lead me to great shoes for a great deal. :)

Side note... cusotmer service at the outlet in Port Washington is excellent. I dealt with Vincenzo.

I've already got my eye on a couple more pairs but will probably hold off for a good sale. Does anyone know when AE runs some of their best yearly sales?

Thanks!

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Pretty much all year round. Sign up for the email list via the shoe bank and request seconds lists often. Additionally the RDA sale is usually solid.

david 112358

Reaction score

High quality Goodyear-welted leather sole dress shoes feel very different from less expensive shoes built with athletic-shoe manufacturing processes.

I recommend that you just start wearing them and don't mess with chemicals to try to break them in. If the leather is dry, they might benefit from an early treatment with cream polish. Otherwise, just starting putting the miles in and polish as necessary.

You might want to check the sole wear around the toe after a few days. If they're shoing a lot of wear there, having a cobbler add toe taps will extend the sole life a lot.

Perfect. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I'm going to wear them around the house this weekend then drop them off at the shoe guy to put on tap soles.

natron20

Reaction score
Sporting the Long Branch on a visit to the book store today. Winter took a small break and rain cleared away all the salt, so I couldn't resist giving them another wear.

Switched to some blue laces, just for kicks and giggles. :slayer:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if someone already mentioned this, but Polo has a few good deals going right now. They've got their Slaton cap-toe, Sanderson LWB, and Saunders chukka, all in snuff suede, on sale.
Thanks!
fistbump.gif

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Got my new black stands in the mail today. Awesome shoes, but very stiff.

Is it OK to use the AE conditioner on them while I'm breaking them in?

Whenever I get a new pair AE's, prior to wearing them outside the house I first use a coat of AE cleaner/conditioner and then, after it dries, I apply AE's polish. Your shoes will feel less stiff the more you wear them, especially if you take good care of them and keep them cleaned and conditioned along the way. My only advice (not knowing where you live) is that my experience has been wearing leather soles in wet or snowy weather really accelerates the aging process of the soles. Thus, when I go to work I wear a pair of cheap Cole Haan's and change into my AE's at my desk. Other people use Swims but I just haven't bought a pair yet.

Goldfishe

Reaction score
Thinking about investing in my first pair of cordovan shoes...AE loafers I am thinking. Which pair do we think is better? Randolph or Patriot. I have wide feet.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about investing in my first pair of cordovan shoes...AE loafers I am thinking. Which pair do we think is better? Randolph or Patriot. I have wide feet.
Patriot. I'm a 12 EEE and I love them.

NicNac

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing some close out Rutledge shoes. Currently have Daltons. Salesperson said that I should stay with say size and width. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads