1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

I wear 9.5 and 10 in most AE lasts, JAB shoe trees in medium are all I use. You should have no problem with medium.

2. rostov

rostov Senior member

FWIW, I believe you said earlier that you tried to buy a pair and the only Mojaves in your size during this sale were the same ones you returned for a defect? As for the defect, I'll know by tomorrow afternoon....

As for my other purchases... the Ridgeways I was told were put on hold for me were, apparently, not. I'm wait-listed while another customer decides if they want them or not. [​IMG]

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I meant before there was only one left in my size in the whole world lol. Should have picked up a pair of firsts in olive suede when they were in clearance for 170. :(

Btw I have a bit of a confession to make. The reason you couldn't get ahold of that Amok was....I snagged it.

True it's a little too narrow, but the unlined suede gives just enough to make it worth $67 for sure. Couldn't have kept them for 150 though.

Sorry I'm such a bastard. :(

4. nomos

nomos Active Member

My first pair of Park Avenues. I got them from Shoebank and I can't quite tell why these are seconds. There is a small blemish on the sole in front of the heel on each shoe. They could be the reason I guess.
    I love the walnut cloud color! According to my wife these are the best looking dress shoes I have bought so far. I took it as a compliment.

[​IMG]

[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. peppercorn78

^^^^

Those are brand marks. They're to signify that the shoes are second quality.

Like so:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Yep, pretty much the same shoe except for the sole. Maybe a different last. I never could bring myself to pull the trigger on the Amok due to the leather sole.

7. BobbyHill

BobbyHill Member

I just ordered my first AEs from the shoe bank. I'm a Canadian and broke so it worked out perfectly when I learned about seconds. I forgot to ask what was wrong with them though. Is it true the Shoebank occasionally sends out unwearable pairs? I'm not expecting first quality here, but I read they sometimes send out stuff like different tanned shoes, or distressed shoes with huge tears. Basically, unwearable.

8. Billyboy316

Billyboy316 Active Member

Go with the large. I am size 10eee and the large are perfect for them (I have quote a few of their shoe trees).

9. rostov

rostov Senior member

Bastard... I had considered not mentioning my attempt to snag them. I shouldn't give you ideas!

10. peppercorn78

Different last. Much more generous, girthy toe. Also more casual welt and edge detailing. Overall slightly chunkier and crunchier. Closer to a stitched desert boot.

But yes, very similar.

11. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

typically shoes with *major* problems are consigned to ebay sellers and they show up on amazon sometimes. For shoebank shoes, the most common defects are slightly different coloring (fixable by some shoe polish/pigmented cream) or wayward stitching on the sole. All one can do is hope for the best I guess :)

12. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

I've never heard of that. The worst I've seen is bad clicking (the color of the leather is inconsistent amongst the cut pieces, or loose grain is visible) and off-center placement of wingtips and/or perforations/broguing. I haven't been able to find a defect on most of my seconds, and the stuff I've found are all cosmetic issues, not compromises of the shoe's longevity. I've never rejected a pair of seconds that I've received, and I currently own 4 and I've owned and resold another 4 on top of that. The defects I find are either unnoticeable without close inspection (less than perfectly straight lines in stitching the welt or the upper), immediately fixed with polish or edge dressing (very slight scratches or mild, isolated discoloration), or wrinkling on the sides of the ankle.

13. peppercorn78

It wasn't that nefarious. Kristle and Jill at jeffersonville knew how badly I wanted to find a chukka in my size that was in decent shape. When this particular sale went live, Jill put this one on hold for me so she could verify its condition and I could decide if the sale price was worth it.

It wasn't until the shoe was already on its way to me that I realized you were looking for the same pair (while it was on hold).

I really am sorry! There's a rough patch of suede right on the toe, but not bad considering the price.

14. steve2318

steve2318 Senior member

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

To everyone who got Amok's on the cheap...bastards! lol...wear in good health...non were in my size range.

16. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard Senior member

Just got AE's email re. belts. Do they not sell any burgundy belts? Do they sell them sometimes? And a related question: Last fall sometime, AE had a special merlot run, where they offered the Strand and 5th Ave in merlot for a short time. I've only been following AE since last spring (15 pairs since then, which on this forum is probably par for the course!) so I was wondering if anyone knows whether this is something they do every year (or most years). If not, I might try looking elsewhere.

17. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I was looking for a decent burgundy belt and ended up going with this from Gustin a few months ago. It doesn't work well for wear with worsted wool (...alliteration not intended) but looks fantastic with chinos and especially denim. Price has since been bumped up to $85 plus shipping on the latest run; still worth it.

For dress use, I'm still holding out hope that someday I can steal a 34" #8 shell belt on eBay from a seller who doesn't know what he's got. ;)

18. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Of 12 pairs received from shoe bank (all at outstanding prices), 1 pair had to be returned.

There was a 1/2 inch difference in back-of-boot height in a pair of rothsay boots. The left one tied above my ankle, the right tied 1/2 inch lower, at a wide point of my ankle.

For me, they were unwearable. Except, I wore them out before realizing why they felt so different, left to right. AE took them back despite the wear, once they looked at the difference.

Your odds are very good, but nothing is assured until they are on your feet.

19. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

You know, I read on AE's website that the Mojave last was supposed to be more generous than their previous boots. I've never tried on the Amoks, but the Malverns were way too tight in the toes in my normal 11.5D, so I went ahead and ordered the 12D in the Mojave. I compared them to my 12D Malvern, and I really can't tell a difference visually in width at the toe or in the way they feel.

20. rostov

rostov Senior member

Picked up a pair of Banchory longwings in blue this morning in 10.5EEE for only $107. Saw them pop up on the shoebank last night and called first thing this morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.