• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased some burgundy Allen Edmond Sanford's to go with my dark navy suit. Managed to get them for $70 and they are in beautiful shape and should have several years of life left. For my first pair of proper dress shoes I think I did very well on this purchase. However I have a question; is there any hope of dressing down this color of brogue? I own several pairs of dark denim but none seem to look right with the shoes... Theoretically a light purple dress shirt, burgundy belt, dark denim, and the AE's would pair nicely. But maybe my newbness is wrong? Opinions please!
smile.gif

I wear burgundy/#8 boots/brogued footwear with dark denim all the time. I think it looks great.

StyleNovice6

Reaction score
I wear burgundy/#8 boots/brogued footwear with dark denim all the time. I think it looks great.
I think it would too, but the wash of the jeans I just don't work well with them. What kind of denim do you typically wear with burgundy?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would too, but the wash of the jeans I just don't work well with them. What kind of denim do you typically wear with burgundy?

Most of my denim is pretty dark. I wear mine with Momo 702 and Momo 702BR, which are a very, very dark indigo. The 702s have a black weft so they're even darker. I agree that some raw denim where the indigo is not as dark may not go as well with burgundy/#8. But indigo denim that's almost black will go great.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased some burgundy Allen Edmond Sanford's to go with my dark navy suit. Managed to get them for $70 and they are in beautiful shape and should have several years of life left. For my first pair of proper dress shoes I think I did very well on this purchase. However I have a question; is there any hope of dressing down this color of brogue? I own several pairs of dark denim but none seem to look right with the shoes... Theoretically a light purple dress shirt, burgundy belt, dark denim, and the AE's would pair nicely. But maybe my newbness is wrong? Opinions please!
smile.gif
I rock my shell MacNeils and Daltons with denim all the time. Both are burgundy. If you've got a burgundy blucher, I think it's fair game to pair it with denim. If you like the look, go for it!

calidist

Reaction score
I rock my shell MacNeils and Daltons with denim all the time. Both are burgundy. If you've got a burgundy blucher, I think it's fair game to pair it with denim. If you like the look, go for it!
Ditto on the MacNeils. Looks good with dark denim IMHO.

StyleNovice6

Reaction score
Ok, thank you for the feedback. I think the big issue here is my Ralph Lauren dark denim have a slightly yellowish dye to them. I'll have to try out some different combinations. What do you guys typically wear on the top end to complete the look?

kentyman

Reaction score
Ok, thank you for the feedback. I think the big issue here is my Ralph Lauren dark denim have a slightly yellowish dye to them. I'll have to try out some different combinations. What do you guys typically wear on the top end to complete the look?

Honestly, whatever works with your style (though I see from your name you're still figuring that out).

I've gone anywhere from tucked in dress shirt with a sportcoat or vest, down to an untucked western ("snaps") shirt or nice v-neck tee. More often then not, I'm just tucking a patterned sport shirt in with dark jeans at my very laid back work (where I'm way overdressed compared to most other engineers).

StyleNovice6

Reaction score
Honestly, whatever works with your style (though I see from your name you're still figuring that out).

I've gone anywhere from tucked in dress shirt with a sportcoat or vest, down to an untucked western ("snaps") shirt or nice v-neck tee. More often then not, I'm just tucking a patterned sport shirt in with dark jeans at my very laid back work (where I'm way overdressed compared to most other engineers).
I'd like to think I have a pretty good sense of style, particularly compared to the majority of other 20 year olds in Indiana (LOL). The reasoning behind the name is that I'm beginning to make an effort to transition my wardrobe to being more business/business casual appropriate.

For some reason I never even considered a v-neck so thanks for mentioning that. I'll probably end up wearing dress-shirts tucked, and oxfords untucked. maybe throw a V-neck sweater over it too. thanks for the feedback everyone!

Last edited:

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Quick question, wondering if anyone knows if you can MTO a non AE labelled shoe, like a Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren? If so, any idea on the cost?

green garden

Reaction score
I finally received the BB strands in 7.5E & 7E, tried them both on, and walked around a little bit. The 7.5E felt great widthwise and I could wiggle my toes but there was definitely heel slippage as it felt slightly loose around the heel. I can just barely fit my index finger behind my heel if I move my foot towards the front. As for the 7E, it felt great lengthwise with no heel slippage but it definitely felt snug widthwise. I couldn't wiggle my toes at all. Would I be correct in assuming I should try 7EEE to get the best fit? Thanks!
7EE would be the equivalent of 7.5E widthwise. If you like the width of 7.5E and length of 7E, then 7EE may be your size. Just note though that if you get a 7EE, the heel will be proportionally wider. Just seems like you are happy with the heel of the 7E.

Are the tip of your toes hitting leather? If yes, you have the wrong length. When you say snug, are you feeling pain? Can you lace the shoes properly? Remember that as the corkbed conforms to your foot, your foot actually sinks a bit and will relax into the shoe. Also, the calf stretches a bit. Then again, fit is a personal choice. If you are not comfortable, then its a no go.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

^

I wouldn't judge someone who wears shoes made from exotic leather, but I think that if I wore them I'd feel a bit pretentious. Not my cup of tea.

Well, I wouldn't wear them every day . . . but on the right occasion, with the right outfit, every once in a while, they would be great to have.  It would be hard for me to justify the expense, though - I'm gathering I could buy five pairs of shell for the price of just one of crocodile, shark, etc.

On the other hand, there are these, which have been torturing me for a while, at about the same price as shell:

http://www.billyreid.com/product/baldwin-boot-brown.html

While Croc may be pretty expensive, many other exotics actually run prettly close in price to shell at full retail. As mentioned, shark is one option, as is kudu, lizard, and python. All can be had in the $700 range for a group MTO from Carmina.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

7EE would be the equivalent of 7.5E widthwise.  If you like the width of 7.5E and length of 7E, then 7EE may be your size.  Just note though that if you get a 7EE, the heel will be proportionally wider.  Just seems like you are happy with the heel of the 7E.  

Are the tip of your toes hitting leather?  If yes, you have the wrong length.  When you say snug, are you feeling pain?  Can you lace the shoes properly? Remember that as the corkbed conforms to your foot, your foot actually sinks a bit and will relax into the shoe.  Also, the calf stretches a bit.  Then again, fit is a personal choice.  If you are not comfortable, then its a no go.   

Ah didn't realize the heel of a 7EE (EEE?) would get wider which would probably mean heel slip. No my toes aren't hitting the leather as there's a little bit of room in front (0.5 inch?). As for the snug fit, I'm not feeling pain; I guess it just felt tight around the vamp and top. But based on what you said if my foot adjusts to the corkbed and sinks a bit, it shouldn't feel as tight. Either way, I still have to return the 7.5E and probably exchange the 7E. Ended up getting the walnut strand in 7.5E and black in 7E based on sizes available to ship immediately. Thanks for your help!

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anybody knows the current deal for AE aside from 2nds.

looking for casual offerings like the neumoks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads