• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidewinderX

Reaction score
My haul from the 2nds sale are a paid a black Fifth Street boots and a pair for saddle brown Vernons. I think I'm going to send back the Fifth Street boots -- I just don't really like them that much.

The Vernons, on the other hand, look better than I expected and I'm aiming to keep. I do have to decided whether I want to keep the 10E, or try and exchange for 10D -- I'm "E" in all the other AE shoes I have and them feel great right now, but the laces close up completely so I'm worried that they'll loosen up too much over time. On the other hand, if they fit well now, what would make them stretch?

The Vernons (2nd from left) fill a nice gap in my brown spectrum -- Tan RL Sandersons, the saddle brown Venons, brown Meermin MTO boots, and dark brown Carmina brouged captoes.

And a family portrait of my AE-made shoes.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wouldn't the front of the heel hitting first help the overall longevity of the shoe? This is because most people's shoes (in my experience) wear down the quickest at the back of the heel. So by making the shoe in a way that the front hits first, would that not increase the life of the heel? Just a thought, I am by no means a shoe expert, just seems like that might be why they made them that way.

I thought that as well, however, it's not very comfortable when walking.

Mark_Y

Reaction score
On a side note....... Allen Edmonds factory opens up tomorrow after the holiday shutdown. Hopefully my MTO Strands are high on the list.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
My problem now is, I'm running up against the limits of what AE has to offer me - e.g., I'm not a loafer guy, and I much prefer a bal to a derby. A few other brands (*cough* Alden *cough*) are making their way into my collection because of this. Otherwise, GOP and polo, I'd be gunning for you.
smile.gif

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score

-15 degrees outside with a -38 windchill, and my black Dalton's and skull and bone socks are keeping me plenty warm (with under armour pants and a shirt, under thick wool slacks, an oxford dress shirt with a cashmere sweater.... Scarve, gloves, ear warmers and a top coat)

:)

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the 50s now. I'm in trouble.

I'm counting 26 pairs of AE in your collection, I have 28 pairs of AE with 1 in production. There may be some competition here… :)
First and foremost.... Absolutely no disrespect meant here.
I really do get the need for more shoes.
I have a decent collection of AE, Aldens, and a few other brands...
However, the pride for me comes in the quality of the shoes, my ability to wear and enjoy them all, and the care I am able to impart.
I could never accomplish that with more than ~20 pairs of shoes. (My personal soft threshold)
Once I get there or close to that threshold, I have to sell off the things I don't wear.
They would sit in the closet and not get used, like they are meant to be.

FWIW, You gents have impressive collections.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my Lasalle today. Color is darker in person, the light in the office and with cell phone camera makes the color washed out.

But regardless I love the chili color. :slayer::slayer::slayer:

njruss

Reaction score
Quote:
That would explain why I have not heard back from customer service for a week! I need to send back my Jingle Moks - not happy with some quality issues being that they are firsts!

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I agree completely with this . . . but (a) I do think it's possible to wear, enjoy, etc. 25+ pairs of shoes; and (b) included in my total are some shoes that I fully expect to not wear more than a few times a year (e.g., black PAs), but without which I believe my collection would be lacking.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for lacing the Daltons? I've tried a few different methods and have not found a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads