• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Gents,

How many pairs of dress shoes should a man own in his wardrobe? I don't have to wear suits for work.

So far I have

Fifth Avenue's in Black
Kenilworth in dark brown
Lasalle in Chili - My latest pickup

Do you recommend two black shoes? Or is that too boring?

I have strong beliefs that unless you are forced to wear black shoes, there really isn't any need for more than one pair AND that one pair shouldn't be anything too crazy priced because you aren't wearing them that often.

Go with Merlot for a formal dark shoe.

GooseG

Reaction score

I did actually use their sizing guide which led me ordering a size 9. Size 8.5 is starting to become more logical now.

Thanks i'll try to get a measurement of my heel to ball and compare it against my heel to toe.

Appreciate all your inputs.

IMO that 9D is too long. The 5 last is long, and it doesnmt help that balmorals are finnicky when it comes to fit.

I'm a 9D brannock and surprisingly an 8.5D Strand fits right on the money.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I am just beginning my transition to nicer shoes. I purchased three pairs of AE at Nordstrom's after Christmas. All are in the $200 - $225 range. I have two newbie questions.

1. I really like the color of the Lasalle in Chili, but I like the Clifton style better. I have tried both shoes on with several outfits and think that the Chili color is more versatile. What would be the "classic" pant color(s) that the Clifton Brown would go with? I am likely to only keep one of the shoes.

2. The Clifton and Lasalle fit great. They both seem like they were made the same way. However, the Player's Shoe feels much smaller and I cannot wear it. It is too tight on the top of my foot. I assume that the shoes are made on different lasts. The Lasalle is still on the AE web site and indicates that it is made on a welted 108 last. The other two shoes are not active on their web site. Does anyone know what lasts the other two shoes were made on?

Thank you.

@chris45 and @halfnhalfnhalf thank you for the AE sales info.
The color of the cliftons (not quite sure what color it is) would likely go with more outfits than the chili Lasalles. If you want to go casual with them as well... thats a different story.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah.. Duh. How can I forget the strand in Walnut. That will be it, then I think I'll purchase a pair of chukka's. Not impressed with the current Chukka though, I did like the Malvern but it's discontinued?

HalfnHalf,

How long did it take for you to amass those pairs? Got pics of the collection?

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
2. The Clifton and Lasalle fit great. They both seem like they were made the same way. However, the Player's Shoe feels much smaller and I cannot wear it. It is too tight on the top of my foot. I assume that the shoes are made on different lasts. The Lasalle is still on the AE web site and indicates that it is made on a welted 108 last. The other two shoes are not active on their web site. Does anyone know what lasts the other two shoes were made on?
Clifton is on the 8 last, Players Shoe is on the 2 last. Sounds like you are an 8 last guy... Enjoy!

Grenik

Reaction score
Clifton is on the 8 last, Players Shoe is on the 2 last. Sounds like you are an 8 last guy... Enjoy!

Thank you for the info. Is there a reference link that I can use in the future to look up other styles?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah.. Duh. How can I forget the strand in Walnut. That will be it, then I think I'll purchase a pair of chukka's. Not impressed with the current Chukka though, I did like the Malvern but it's discontinued?

HalfnHalf,

How long did it take for you to amass those pairs? Got pics of the collection?

I bet Allison could hook you up with a Malvern in the leather of your choice. Also, have you checked out the Dundee chukka? Shell is definitely an investment, but they are absolutely classic and comfortable as hell.

As for my lot, one of these days I'll have to take some pics, but for now here is my current collection of AEs:

Boots -

Fifth Street black
Andover burgundy
Dalton walnut
Shaker Heights chili
Haight brown

"Dressy dress" -

Park Avenue black
Park Avenue merlot
McAllister black
Cambridge burgundy shell
Hanover bourbon

"Less dressy dress" -

Strand brown shell
Dundee burgundy shell
Shelton merlot/black
Shelton walnut/brown
Norwich black
Norwich brown shell
Mora 2.0 bourbon

Casual -

Black Hills black
Brooks Brothers San Marco brown
Neumok navy
Neumok olive
McTavish grey
McTavish tan
Chukkamok navy
Chukkamok tan suede

Guilty pleasure -

Fastball white (with Cincinnati Reds logo)

Two more pairs in production -

Brooks Brothers Strand walnut
Dundee brown shell

And the next two purchases (waiting for Presidents Day and/or Anniversary sale and/or seconds) -

Strand merlot OR chili
Hanover black

Most of my current collection are seconds/closeouts procured during the last 15% off sale. In other words, I'm relatively late to this party but I've jumped in with both feet! (pun intended)

Also, on the non-AE side, I have another 10-15 pairs (bucks and boat shoes from J. Crew and BB, cheap summer saddles/ spectators, etc.) and five or so more on the way (assorted boots). Oh, and a bunch of Vans, Keds, and other old-school sneakers.

It might seem like a lot of shoes - and I guess it is - but my goal was to have multiple options for every conceivable outfit in my wardrobe. I must say that since amassing my collection, I've come to realize that even ordinary clothes can shine with the right pair of shoes, and conversely even the smartest outfits can be ruined when paired with cheap, ugly, un-shined, etc. shoes. And, I consider my shoes to be among the wisest investments I make. When you buy quality shoes like AE and take care of them, every pair you buy could very well last you the rest of your life - especially when you're able to rotate through so many of them.

Last edited:

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

I bet Allison could hook you up with a Malvern in the leather of your choice.  Also, have you checked out the Dundee chukka?  Shell is definitely an investment, but they are absolutely classic and comfortable as hell.

As for my lot, one of these days I'll have to take some pics, but for now here is my current collection of AEs:

Boots -

Fifth Street black
Andover burgundy
Dalton walnut
Shaker Heights chili
Haight brown

"Dressy dress" -

Park Avenue black
Park Avenue merlot
McAllister black
Cambridge burgundy shell
Hanover bourbon

"Less dressy dress" -

Strand brown shell
Dundee burgundy shell
Shelton merlot/black
Shelton walnut/brown
Norwich black
Norwich brown shell
Mora 2.0 bourbon

Casual -

Black Hills black
Brooks Brothers San Marco brown
Neumok navy
Neumok olive
McTavish grey
McTavish tan
Chukkamok navy
Chukkamok tan suede

Guilty pleasure -

Fastball white (with Cincinnati Reds logo)

Two more pairs in production -

Brooks Brothers Strand walnut
Dundee brown shell

And the next two purchases (waiting for Presidents Day and/or Anniversary sale and/or seconds) -

Strand merlot OR chili
Hanover black

Most of my current collection are seconds/closeouts procured during the last 15% off sale.  In other words, I'm relatively late to this party but I've jumped in with both feet!  (pun intended)

Also, on the non-AE side, I have another 10-15 pairs (bucks and boat shoes from J. Crew and BB, cheap summer saddles/ spectators, etc.) and five or so more on the way (assorted boots).  Oh, and a bunch of Vans, Keds, and other old-school sneakers.

It might seem like a lot of shoes - and I guess it is - but my goal was to have multiple options for every conceivable outfit in my wardrobe.  I must say that since amassing my collection, I've come to realize that even ordinary clothes can shine with the right pair of shoes, and conversely even the smartest outfits can be ruined when paired with cheap, ugly, un-shined, etc. shoes.  And, I consider my shoes to be among the wisest investments I make.  When you buy quality shoes like AE and take care of them, every pair you buy could very well last you the rest of your life - especially when you're able to rotate through so many of them.

Haha oh man your total number of shoes is about 2/3 of mine + total amount or clothes I own :)

Last edited:

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have any of you contacted Allison about a MTO Sanford? Im trying to figure out how much the cost would be. The standard $345 or would it be less because the shoe is discontinued?

tjyoung

Reaction score
Just added these to the rotation: brown Fifth Street, brown Rutlege, and black Hale.

However I'm trying to keep my inventory static, so for each new pair, I'm trying to unload an old pair. Before I get rid of them, I'd like to hear the board's thoughts on selling vs. keeping the following pairs of shoes, especially given my recent purchases:

1) Brown Parkway (worn)
2) Brown Lasalle (worn)
3) Black Park Avenue (new)

Last edited:

Geran Brown

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently went into an Allen Edmonds store to get my foot measured on a brannock and they said I should wear an 8D, unfortunately they didn't have any 8D Strands in stock to try on as I was looking at purchasing that shoe.

Should I stick to an 8D or should I size down a half size to a 7.5D?

green garden

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have any of you contacted Allison about a MTO Sanford? Im trying to figure out how much the cost would be. The standard $345 or would it be less because the shoe is discontinued?
MTO cost for discontinued styles will be at current prices.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the Brown Burnished Grayson Webgem. Been wanting those in a brown color and I'm mostly limited to Allen Edmonds for loafers due to width.

Question: Is it just me or is there an issue with the angle of the heel/sole on all of the Independence collection shoes? It seems off, which makes it feel like something is pushing into the middle of your foot as you take each step. The front of the heel piece seems to hit the ground first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads