• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Finally had some sunlight to take pictures today! Here's a reference for AE's "brown" shell shade, compared to natural CXL (left) and Alden color #8 shell (right).

I love the Brown Shell Strands. I have long considered picking them up to join their Walnut Shell brother.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cats, I've often wondered why the Strand gets so much more love on here than any other AE shoe.

Don't get me wrong, I own a pair, but why are they so much more beloved, than say McAllisters?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cats, I've often wondered why the Strand gets so much more love on here than any other AE shoe.

Don't get me wrong, I own a pair, but why are they so much more beloved, than say McAllisters?

I don't know what others think, but to me the Strand is the perfect blend of the McAllister and the PA - it's formal and classy enough to serve as a worthy substitute for the PA, but the perfs and medallion also let me wear it casually, up to and including with denim.

Olifter

Reaction score

It's not just here. I believe the Strand is their number one or two most sold. I have three and the brown and merlot get more wear than the black wingtips. I couldn't say why, maybe because they're just a good compromise between a full brogue and plain cap toe dress shoe. They work well with suits and dress casual.

Last edited:

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
Finally had some sunlight to take pictures today! Here's a reference for AE's "brown" shell shade, compared to natural CXL (left) and Alden color #8 shell (right).

beautiful.

does the ae brown shell get any shinier than in the photo? the finish on alden shell is just so incredible compared to AE's!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

beautiful.

does the ae brown shell get any shinier than in the photo? the finish on alden shell is just so incredible compared to AE's!

You can get them shinier with a lot of brushing and maybe some Saphir products. Alden does put a very nice finish on their Shells that provide a deeper color out of the box.

GooseG

Reaction score

beautiful.

Yes and no, I suppose. The Strands are new, while those Aldens have gotten a couple months of wear and have been "mac'ed." I also just hit the toe boxes with some VSC.

The AE shell isn't as glossy, but they were very cold and dry when I unboxed them. I think some oils will come out once I wear and brush them a few times.

specialk0449

Reaction score
Yes and no, I suppose. The Strands are new, while those Aldens have gotten a couple months of wear and have been "mac'ed." I also just hit the toe boxes with some VSC.

The AE shell isn't as glossy, but they were very cold and dry when I unboxed them. I think some oils will come out once I wear and brush them a few times.

I think your AE Strands look great now, but will get better once you have worn and brushed them a few times. That is what happened with my shell PA's.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
My latest MTO came in on Friday, too. This time for my wife! A pair of Walnut Bayfields with V tap soles. These are size 6D and look so adorable, haha. Check them out.

and a couple pics next to my new size 8D Alden Tankers for scale...

Last edited:

modernize

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience returning things to the shoe bank? How long does it usually take for them to credit your money back?

Mark_Y

Reaction score

FYI, for anyone who is still interested, I got an email yesterday from Allison confirming it's not too late to do the MTO for the sale price.

These aren't even listed on AE's web site. Did you order by calling them?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These aren't even listed on AE's web site. Did you order by calling them?

No, they special ordered custom makeups thru Allison Meyer. Scroll back 4 or 5 pages for the contact info.

GooseG

Reaction score
Guys, I need some opinions here. I gave my new Strands a more detailed lookover today and noticed this stitching issue on the upper.

What are my options here? Would AE be able to correct this issue? It looks like it could just keep coming undone at this point.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what others think, but to me the Strand is the perfect blend of the McAllister and the PA - it's formal and classy enough to serve as a worthy substitute for the PA, but the perfs and medallion also let me wear it casually, up to and including with denim.
I think the McAllister is dble soled and the Strand is not. Dble soles lend themselves to more casual wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads