1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I will dig around to see- if not I will make sure a nab a photo next time I wear them.

2. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Was the Rockford one of Wolverine's boots by AE? Ben Silver has a few sizes online for $199.50.

3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I thought only the cordovan models were made my AE.

4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

5. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Ashtons.
    A basic black shell orthotic blucher.

Received yesterday, and liked them enough to order a more playful or casual version in burgundy shell, with reversed stitching, natural welt and an off white sole.

1st pic here include the burgundy shell Daltons worn today and the Ashtons after 1 day wear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This option was performed once then I was told they won't repeat it.

[​IMG]

6. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

I received a postcard today from my nearest Allen Edmonds factory seconds store:

From August 21st through September 1, savings of 15-35% off ALL factory-second shoes. Plus, save on discontinued belts and other select accessories. Limited to on-hand inventory only. See what is available in your size at www.shoebank.com

Factory Seconds Shoe (2nds MSRP) Sale Price:

Mora 2.0 Black or Bourbon ($299) sale $189

Neumok Brown ($219) sale $149

Grayson Black ($299) sale $199

Patriot Black or Brown ($299) sale $189

Kiowa Brown Distressed or Brown Grain ($234) sale $179

Vernon Black ($299) sale $199

Flatiron Black or Walnut Burnished ($299) sale $189

1 person likes this.
  7. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Thanks for posting. No shells included in the sale. The Mora 2.0 is probably the feature style for the sale, and is a good price if you have been waiting.
    I may just grab a belt or something and wait out for RDA.

8. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Yikes another sale! Must keep eye on the prize and wait for RDA.

Wearing the infamous LW chukka today
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. delmar

delmar Senior member

I noticed the jump in price too. I think they're still cheaper than Aldens. A lot of people prefer Aldens, not me. Maybe some people can tell, but I can't tell the difference in the shell between the two brands. My feet--specifically my arches--can tell the difference between the two brands. My feet prefer Allen Edmonds. I have a pair of Alden monkstraps in burgundy shell and I don't like them much. The buckles are too dainty and the straps don't feed through them very well--but they are shiny. My brown shell AE Norwiches are like they were made for my feet and very good looking too--with big manly buckles. I also have two other pairs of the Norwich--in brown and black calf. And I have a pair of the Lubbock too, which are pretty much identical to the Norwich except they're tan and from the rough collection. I've heard people here disparage the 222 last, but it fits me like a glove. My other pair of Aldens is a pair of brown shell chukka boots. I bought them because AE didn't make anything like them at the time. Within a year, AE came out with the shell Dundees. I was kicking myself.

But back to the original point. The price has gone up, but I suppose the cost of doing business has gone up--I read somewhere that there has been a marked increase in the price of hides. Lately, I have taken to buying seconds so I don't notice the price increase as much as someone buying first quality. But the seconds that I've been getting meet or exceed my expectations. I'll stick with AE.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

AE switched to the MTO, or rather made on order, for shell back in 2012 due to the shell shortage and expense. So the seconds availability will remain the same as you see now.

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

You know, I still don't know what to think of those. Part of me is intrigued, the other part shrivels. HaHa.

12. Dogs Bollocks

Dogs Bollocks Active Member

I just gave my 16 year old son, the pair of my first Allen Edmunds shoes that I have been saving for him, for 32 years. PRICELESS, both for the moment with my son, and the fact that he knew the significance of what I was giving him. I highly recommend that many of you younger chaps plan for the same.

1 person likes this.
  13. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Can you take a picture of the 32 year old shoe? Would love to see how the shoe aged throughout this duration.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

My 7 year old has his eye on a few pairs already... Great story and very cool! Congrats

15. Dogs Bollocks

Dogs Bollocks Active Member

16. iamsilvermember

iamsilvermember Well-Known Member

This is amazing and now I get another excuse to buy more!

17. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Not sure I could pull off the chukka wingtip, but I was really intrigued by the the blue banchory (LWB). It's the same very soft, supple (unlined??) material. They are extremely comfortable and casual. Couldn't figure out what I would wear them with, though. So I didn't pull the trigger. If I find them cheap at the Shoe Bank I might reconsider.

18. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

It was the right size for him?

19. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

"savings of 15-35% off ALL factory-second shoes"

This implies that all shell is included, and they'll be at most $424. They'll probably be $399.

20. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I get you Mike...it's really an oddball of a design but in terms of comfort these are probably my most comfortable pair. Not sure what leather they used here but this unlined leather is buttery soft and the gumlite sole is light and has a lot of "give". These are more comfortable than my Jack Purcells and Tiger Onitsukas which says a lot.
    I was looking at that too. I can imagine navy, burgundy, or khaki chinos. And of course denim, the dark indigo kind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.