• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanl

Reaction score
I think Portland might be worse. I work in an office where shorts and Tevas are year round. It's all software engineers... very sloppy looking geeks

Ha, very true. As a software engineer, I'm trying to be one of the few geek outliers!

green garden

Reaction score
Any comments on the 333 last v. the 511 on fit? (Think Dalton v. Portland)
For me, the 333's length is similar to the 5 last but a bit more room in the toebox. I am a 8.5C Brannock. I wear 8.5C in the 511 and 7 last. For the 5 last, I wear a 8D. But I find that at the end of the day, the pinky and 4th toe of my left foot (my longer foot) "scratch" the edge of my Strands. For the 333, I wear a 8D without any issues. I will add that I have a Rutledge and the leather is buttery soft. Maybe that could be the reason I don't feel any pressure.

tigerpac

Reaction score
I think the real issue is that with Aldens, what you get is all you can get. If you don't think you received a first quality shoe, or the fit isn't quite right, your options are to take that shoe anyway, at first quality, or return it and have no chance of getting that shoe. Especially when it comes to their shell cordovan, the backlog on orders is ridiculously long and many makeups are only ordered in one pair per size for the store. This isn't just for rare colors either, it applies just as much for #8 (and they don't even offer brown, for some reason!)

With AE, if you don't like your shoes, even if it's shell cordovan, they'll probably be able to get you another pair within a month or two. Except in the current situation, where people are straddling times when some colors were available and times when they aren't, you can always get whatever pair of shoes you wanted remade.

Alden cigar shell is brown. Or at least the recent batches have been.

And while this is generally true, I don't think its quite as bad as you're making it out to be. If you want a more regular makeup like a 975 or 9751, you can get a replacement just about anytime. If its a batch or store MTO, then yes, I completely agree with you.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Anyone know when nordstorm is coming to Toronto?
Before the actual stores open, it appears they will first start selling ONLINE in Canada at www.nordstrom.ca

From the above link, they show the following schedule:

TORONTO (2 STORES TO OPEN IN FALL 2016)

CALGARY: FALL 2014

OTTAWA: SPRING 2015

VANCOUVER: FALL 2015

An earlier news report indicated that most of the new stores will be in the old Sears Department Store locations in each city - which means you an expect a lot of remodeling and a drive-by look ahead of time. All they need is one (1) retail store to ship and receive internet orders to Canadian customers from their new web site.

Remember - you can sign up for a NORDSTROM REWARDS card, without a credit check, which acts as a debit card to your regular checking account. This will entitled you to EARLY SALES and points.

Here is a video:

0.jpg

David Copeland

Reaction score
I'm not as concerned about the $10/$20 than the time and hassle of having to send them back. That and its also disappointing when you're excited and waiting for a new package to arrive only to realize you have to send it right back. I mainly ask because in the Wolverine 1K Mile boot thread there are lots and lots of complaints about awful seconds. So much so that its just not worth the headache (to me, at least) to give seconds a shot. I was just wondering if AE seconds were OK or if there is lots of junk.

AE has a higher standard for their seconds than others. I have purchased their seconds in the past 10 years when all that was available in my favorite older style was a second and the firsts were no longer available. I have never been able to see a flaw in the overall general appearance of the second, probably because I have called in my order and asked the rep to check for obvious and noticeable potential flaws . Last year I ordered another second and the fit was too small. They paid for the return postage (even though return postage for seconds is rarely advertised).

On the other hand, if the same style is available as a first - you may want to see if a sale is available. The biggest sale of the year is in July-August at 33% off across most of the selections at Nordstroms, and there is also www.6pm.com too. AE will not price match, but Nordstoms will.

And on another note . . . I chose to order the FIFTH STREET BOOT in black at $100 OFF today at the AE Site. There is quite a history on this style and how it has been worn.

As always,

David

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude, I get that you are excited and that is great, nothing wrong with that, but lets try to keep the language clean yeah? It's a free country, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't use that language. Thanks in advance and congrats on your MTO!

Yeah there are children reading about 500 dollar formal dress shoes!
rolleyes.gif

Ummm... no.
I mean really. It's one thing to keep language clean if talking about someone else or having an argument. But me saying, effectively "**** yeah!" ?... just no.

What are we all, blushing maidens in here? I'm all for civil discourse, but let's not be too sensitive...

I think that these cover it.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, the 333's length is similar to the 5 last but a bit more room in the toebox. I am a 8.5C Brannock. I wear 8.5C in the 511 and 7 last. For the 5 last, I wear a 8D. But I find that at the end of the day, the pinky and 4th toe of my left foot (my longer foot) "scratch" the edge of my Strands. For the 333, I wear a 8D without any issues. I will add that I have a Rutledge and the leather is buttery soft. Maybe that could be the reason I don't feel any pressure.
Thanks for the input. I am tossing around a Shell Portland MTO.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not as concerned about the $10/$20 than the time and hassle of having to send them back. That and its also disappointing when you're excited and waiting for a new package to arrive only to realize you have to send it right back. I mainly ask because in the Wolverine 1K Mile boot thread there are lots and lots of complaints about awful seconds. So much so that its just not worth the headache (to me, at least) to give seconds a shot. I was just wondering if AE seconds were OK or if there is lots of junk.
I've only gotten one pair of AE seconds that had noticeable issues (Merlot McAllister), and that was only because they were creased (likely from being tried on in a store). I kept them because of the price ($150) and the fact that I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending them back and waiting for another delivery. They would have looked the same way after I wore them.

All of my other AE seconds have looked perfect to me...granted, I'm not as critical of shoes as some of the other guys here are.

Last edited:

ryansto

Reaction score
So, I'm loving the look of the Geary webgem! Shortwing Blucher with a medallion. Not sure about the 222 last (I kind of wish they would have done it on the 108). I already have the Jefferson in dark brown, but I hope it stays in the lineup and they add a few colors.

Karotona

Reaction score
How do you guys find out about these sales on 2nds? Do you email/call the main AE contact info from the website for a list of the available sizes/styles?

nathanl

Reaction score
So, I'm loving the look of the Geary webgem! Shortwing Blucher with a medallion. Not sure about the 222 last (I kind of wish they would have done it on the 108). I already have the Jefferson in dark brown, but I hope it stays in the lineup and they add a few colors.

So basically a brown Players?

(And ditto on the 108 last - by far my favorite)

LostinWV

Reaction score
I have been a lurker for a couple years and finally decided to post. Thanks for the heads up on the factory 2nds! I ordered a pair of black Park Avenues as a test and they were virtually perfect (I found no defect, but I am no cobbler). For the after XMas sale they had $50 off the first pair and $100 off the second, so I got a pair of walnut 5th Aves the bourborn Mora 2.0s. I could not be happier. I really appreciate everyone helping those of us who are just learning the ropes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads