1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

^^^ Should be double leather JR with brown edge; mine has a lighter colored welt. Congrats on a fine pick-up @NWTeal !

1 person likes this.
  2. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Has someone recently sent shoes to B.Nelson? I am a bit confused by the mismatch between the description on the website and personal conversation with one of Nick's folks. I was under the assumption that the shipping rates are included in the resole cost, but when I called to check a few minor things over the phone, I was told shipping would be an extra.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yes I have. I printed out the label on the website to mail them in free of charge. There was no additional charges for the return back to me, total cost was as stated on the website $125 JR soles + $40 for new welt $165 total.

@NWTeal Congrats on your new boots, look great!

1 person likes this.
  4. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I think shell is a more casual leather than calfskin. It's my opinion, but I understand there are varying opinions on this forum.

I do agree that a black derby goes fine with suits if it's something sleek like a Kenilworth or a sleek european two eyelet derby, but the Leeds is a chunky shoe with a split welt that I think would look odd with a suit. For all other occasions, the burgundy shell leeds will do the job just as well if not better than a black pair.

Yes ReppTiePrepster is correct. Thank you, they are really awesome.

1 person likes this.
  5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I think there are many who are abandoning this traditional approach to shoe wear. As I mentioned earlier, I think this has increasingly become an individual call... but to each his own. Shoe aficionados can certainly agree to disagree.

6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

7. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Agree to disagree? On Styleforum? Why I never... :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I agree, and think the traditional approach is only in a few small circles. On AAAC it has always been somewhat accept as normal, and I think the crowd there in general are older than many on SF. The US military dress shoe is identical to the AE Leeds however not near the same quality. If they are good enough to wear in the Pentagon and most formal occasions I have always felt they were fine for wear with suits. Considering what most people wear with suits now days you will be head and shoulders above most others in any event.

+1 for the Dundees. But to prove that the Dundee isn't my answer for all shoe questions I would say keep looking and trying loafers too. It took me many years to find a loafer that fit my feet and now I own brown and burgundy Patriots plus calf Manchesters. And am very grateful to have them in my rotation.

1 person likes this.
  9. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Those look great. Seems to be more of the darker Ravello type Walnut it seems? Did you get to check out the other pair there and then pick? Pretty cool you could see them in person. Great price too. I guess they dropped it. I thought they were $675.

10. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

I always think of Walnut Shell as being close to Ravello, but a pidge lighter.

-Mike

11. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

I'd agree with that. It seems like the first batch of Walnut shell was much lighter though. Or it wasn't consistent across the run. Mine seem to be lighter the pics I've seen recently. Doubtful I'll get the chance to compare in the wild.

12. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

The non flash pictures are a more accurate reflection of the color, but I'll have to get some outdoor pictures when I'm wearing them.

I did get to look at both and they were a little different in shade. The ones I chose were more even between the left/right boot and lighter overall. They were $675, (actually listed at $703 in store) but they currently have a $75 off $400 online that they honored in store brining it down to $600.

13. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Looking forward to getting a pic of my Truffle McAllisters next to my incoming DC Ravello LWB, I think they might be really close.

Hell of a price for those. Congrats, they look awesome!

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Like Mike said Ravello is very close to walnut. If the Ravello has very little red undertones to it then it is almost identical.
    L>R Cappuccino, Ravello, and Walnut. Flash bounced off ceiling.
    [​IMG]
    I took this a couple of weeks ago for someone who purchased my Alden's and he was worried that they would be too close to Cappuccino. The Barrie last does not fit my foot and narrow heels, they have now found a great home with someone who can wear them. I hope yours turn out well for you, sounds like a great makeup.

NAMOR had a post a few years back talking about light color shell getting darker and dark shell getting lighter until they almost converge. I think there is a lot of truth to that.

15. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Yes, they all approach a medium brown color over a long time. It's the uneven rates in which they do this make the patina and create their beauty.

The only one that I am uncertain about is Black Shell, however given enough time it will also fade.

Here is an example of Whiskey Shell, the Penny Loafer on the right has about 5 years of wear. The rest are predominantly pretty young.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I own one pair of black shoes (fifth avenue). Am I the only one who thinks black shoes are a bore? I have the Brooks brother version which is very comfortable but damn I feel asleep looking at it.

Anyone feel the same?

1 person likes this.
  17. pomofo

pomofo Active Member

I have 37 pairs of shoes, 6 of which are black, and I think that's far too many. Thinking of selling two of them.

18. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I have just 4 and I pretty much wear them once a week. Casual friday is jeans and running shoes.

Kenilworth
    Strands
    Fifth Ave
    Lasalle

I don't know how you have that many! They collect dust?

19. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

yes sometimes, but then again, a good pair of black dress shoes says "i'm not f'ing around" like nothing else (clothing wise, at least)

20. pomofo

pomofo Active Member

Just realized I gave one pair to my father, so 36 in total. 9 spectators, 4 suede, and 1 Ritz, so those see summer/non-rain/black tie use respectively. 3 pairs of boots, two of which are for hiking. 2 loafers. 1 double monk. 6 black, and the Park Avenues are really the only black shoes I wear on a regular basis, when I'm serving Mass or attending funerals. That leaves 10 pairs of shoes in various shades from walnut to dark brown; captoes, quarter brogues, semi-brogues, and wingtips. A well-rounded collection, but yes, some of them definitely do collect dust. That's one reason I'm going to sell some of the black shoes.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.