• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olifter

Reaction score

would light brown transparent be just a shade lighter than the dark brown stock edge? I have also thought of going with merlot or burgundy calf and independence lining. My wife doesn't like burgundy, but she doesn't mind the merlot because it looks a little bit more brown.

The other issue with going MTO is that I'm not sure about fifth street sizing. According to the fellow at my local AE store that helped me, I'm a 10D on the brannock but since I have high arches he put me at 10E for the 5 last. I have no idea what that means for my size in the fifth street. I'm assuming I would be a 10E in that as well?

If I did go MTO, and the size was wrong... could they be returned like any other pair?

I'm also a 10D, but I went with 10E for all 5 last styles, including the fifth street.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
"Booted and suited" is fine and the Daltons will work for that IMO as long as the event is not formal.

NicNac

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice. I will continue to wear my Daltons with a suit but not necessarily with a tie.

I am considering a pair of Strands for more formal and business outings. My Daltons are 11D with some slight rubbing on my baby toe. The length is perfect. Would I go with the same size or size up/down?

Again, thanks for all your advice.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the socks (and the MacNeils of course). Are those Polo RL?
You know your socks! Yes, PRL blue with the ponyman on them.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice. I will continue to wear my Daltons with a suit but not necessarily with a tie.

I am considering a pair of Strands for more formal and business outings. My Daltons are 11D with some slight rubbing on my baby toe. The length is perfect. Would I go with the same size or size up/down?

Again, thanks for all your advice.
Dude, wear them however the hell you feel like wearing them.

I wore mine with a suit and tie to a holiday party and received nothing but compliments. I would have picked different shoes, but it was snowing so it called for boots!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Hi guys. Trying to figure out this whole SF MTO thing. Who does one contact, and what is the process? Cost? Thanks - tried to search this info but it was difficult to find precise answers.

You want to contact:
Allen Edmonds Customer Assistance Center
[email protected]
t +1 262 235-6428 (Mon-Fri 7am-6pm CST)
f +1 262 268-7427

Custom order fee is waived if you mention this thread. Cost would be the cost associated with purchasing the upper. You can change linings and out soles for free.

I highly recommend calling if at all possible.

-Mike

Last edited:

Olifter

Reaction score

and it worked out well for you?

Yes, I have several AEs, I wear 10D in the 1 last and 10D in Alden's Hampton last. I have three Strands and one Fifth Street, all 10E and they fit fine. The 5 last is a little narrow and long, and the next time I am at the store I think I'll try on a 9.5E and a 9.5EE in the 5 last just out of curiosity.

tjyoung

Reaction score
I'll take the Haight for $99
smile.gif
Where are you seeing them that cheap?
Yeah, it's a sexy shoe. They both are. My friend has both pair new that he's trying to unload. Big debate.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
halfnhalfnhalf, please post pics of you wearing them when they arrive. This boot is simply gorgeous.

Of course. There's a whiff of "too good to be true" here so I'm trying not to get too excited. When I have some time I'll comb the old catalogs to see if this boot shows up anywhere therein.

ToJhunter

Reaction score

Of course. There's a whiff of "too good to be true" here so I'm trying not to get too excited.  When I have some time I'll comb the old catalogs to see if this boot shows up anywhere therein.

You lucky bastard, I was just about to pull the trigger when I noticed it had already sold. Sure does look like shell , but it might be lacquer calf.

Edit: looks like they may be lacquer calf based on the wear pattern from this pair that looks very similar. http://www.etsy.com/listing/1205852...type=gallery&ga_ship_to=KR&ga_search_type=all

I'm still rooting for shell, though. Lemme know how they turn out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads