1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Very nice.

I have some of AE's "brown" shell cordovan and it looks similar to truffle (I don't own any truffle)

Case in point, Bwn shell strands:

[​IMG] bwn shell townleys [​IMG]
    My pix are not as nice as yours.

2. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

They may feel ok at the moment, but you do seem to want an answer as to why they are creasing. It definitely looks like these are too narrow for you - the gap in between laces is quite extreme IMO. Ill fit is definitely one reason why you could be seeing this strange creasing. FWIW, I'm a 13D on the Brannock and wear a 12EEE in the Clifton. I suggest (as others have said) that you size down in length, and up the width.

3. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Thanks to Cold Iron and Cool Arrow...I just now ordered a pair of Bentons in brown Shell Cordovan.

If I understand correctly,
    the lighter colors in shell are exquisite, beautiful, showing many shades in light, but rare/hard to find.

AE currently offers darker colors which are more certain to match, so there is less waste involved.

I look forward to the re-entry of walnut or truffle, but still love both the burgundy and the brown shell available now.

I only recently became aware of this shell mto option, and it is not going well for my checkbook.

Currently on order:

-No perferation, chili calf Dalton with 511g last and rubber sole
    -Black shell Aston
    -Brown shell Benton
    -unnamed plain toe boot from the fall line up, in black shell cordovan. Think Harley D.

4. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

They look too long and too narrow for your foot. It's easy to get the width feeling right if you go long enough.

5. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Do you wear the orthotics or will they be taken out? I find myself looking at the orthodox line for other styles but am concerned about sizing without the insole.

6. BagleyBrown

I am not diagnosed with any orthotic need, but I prefer the added padding when I'm on my feet all day. (6'4" 250 lbs)

I test drove a pair on clearance just to see what I thought. Once I wore them, I was hooked.

With the orthotic pad and the rubber sole, the 511g seems to fit just like a 511 shoe without the orthotic insert.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I've got an unperfed Dalton in the works too, pending leather samples.

What is this upcoming boot? How did you find pix (and will you share), and what last is it on?

I have the voyager for everyday neighborhood walking. They're my "dad" shoes. I do appreciate the orthotic insole quite a bit...

8. indigoroots

indigoroots Well-Known Member

Any chance you got post a side by side shot with the park avenues? The Caryles seem to have a longer, more modern toe-taper which I'm digging.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I too put in for leather samples for less perfed Dalton...fighting between an awesome pebble/regular vass boot knockoff I spotted in a thread or half suede half calf type thing...really hoping to delay long enough to see fall line up.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  10. peppercorn78

Ha! That's what I was planning on. Combination dark chili/ chili grain. Kind of a shortwing boot version of my regent streets.

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

LOL...that is a smoking hot boot...I was thinking burgundy or chili also...I am thinking a lighter welt as I kind of like the way that pops. I have not done a true MTO yet so I may PM you for some advice.

12. peppercorn78

No prob. I've done 4 so far.

13. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I'm currently based out of Brunei, a mere 2 hr flight from Manila. But yes, I was born and bred in the Philippines and was back home just last week where I got the full experience of the sights, smells and sounds of the PI jeepney. Best experienced in dreams and not in Metro Manila at 12nn, with 80% humidity haha.

I love driving around Subic Bay and Clark AFB. Thanks to the US, those places have been maintained very nicely and is probably one of the few places the urban have mixed nicely with the wild. It's also probably the only two places in the Philippines where ALL the road signs are followed.

Hope to share some stories with you in the future!

Back to regular programming...

14. BagleyBrown

That is 3 'reduced perferation' Daltons currently on order. Hopefully, we'll see all three pairs here eventually to compare notes.

unnamed plain boot is a wish list item, I'm hopin'

15. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

Another new member, I'd love the same information. Thanks in advance!

Also, does the 2 for $300 cover all the 'tent sale' listings including cordovan?

16. peppercorn78

The only discount I'm aware of is that our rep at AE (Allison Meyer) will waive the custom shoe design fee to place MTO orders. For more info on that, please see the fairly exhaustive AE MTO thread (1st page has details).

As far as I know, the 2/299 sale has now ended, and that was on second quality closeout styles only. I believe the cordovan westchester loafer was honored, if you were lucky enough to snag one in your size.

The "Tent Sale" happened last month.

Never fear, though, outlet sales happen frequently. Just follow this thread for news...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    2 people like this.
  17. rc121

rc121 Senior member

And Allison was ok with doing the reduced perforations? I had asked previously about doing a current style with no broguing or pinking and was told that these were part of the pattern and couldnt be removed.

18. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

Just my luck! Thanks for the reply!

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I am not that far along yet I am only to the requesting leather samples yet.

20. peppercorn78

The actual response I got was "I think so, but I will have to check."

Pinking cannot be altered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.