• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I have found that an application of Venetian Creme followed by some brushing helps even out the color on any of my shell shoes. 

Thanks for the tip, GOP.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Those are very festive! You need the "candy cane laces" for those though. A guy on an airplane on Tuesday night was wearing Strands with the candy cane laces. I was sporting my Alden penny's on the plane after a day with my Cappuccino Jeffersons.

-Mike

Edit: Lace reference:
http://m.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF936_1_40000000001_-1

Mike, I've been waiting on those to go on sale after the holidays. That will really bring home the holiday feel...!

Mark_Y

Reaction score
Quick question.....

My wife and I are visiting New York, and yesterday we walked into an Allen Edmonds store. I tried on a pair of Strands in snuff suede and really liked them. My wife REALLY liked them and said "buy those now". Got to love that. Got to love that.

Unfortunately, they didn't have the snuff suede in my size and the salesman said he would order, and they would be shipped to my house in about 3 weeks. I tried the Walnut on for size (might be my next pair).

When I got back to my hotel, I was looking at the shoes on AE's web site, and see that they are on clearance. Now my concern is that since these shoes are on clearance, I won't be able to get them in my size (8D). Anyone know what might happen? Will the order be cancelled?

I find this somewhat odd, because the Strand in snuff suede just came out not too long ago and it gets rave reviews. Hope I'm not too late to the party.

Thanks

tampatravel

Reaction score
Quick question.....

My wife and I are visiting New York, and yesterday we walked into an Allen Edmonds store. I tried on a pair of Strands in snuff suede and really liked them. My wife REALLY liked them and said "buy those now". Got to love that. Got to love that.

Unfortunately, they didn't have the snuff suede in my size and the salesman said he would order, and they would be shipped to my house in about 3 weeks. I tried the Walnut on for size (might be my next pair).

When I got back to my hotel, I was looking at the shoes on AE's web site, and see that they are on clearance. Now my concern is that since these shoes are on clearance, I won't be able to get them in my size (8D). Anyone know what might happen? Will the order be cancelled?

I find this somewhat odd, because the Strand in snuff suede just came out not too long ago and it gets rave reviews. Hope I'm not too late to the party.

Thanks
More than likely they have the uppers (shoes w/o soles put on) already made and waiting to go. I've only been shut out once on a clearance item and it was the Amok. I'm sure you'll be fine. Did he offer you the sale price? You should be getting that for sure! While you're waiting for them to be delivered, buy some Tarrago Nano Protector for the suede (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarrago-Nan...536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c2c6f8b8) and you'll feel better about wearing them in all kinds of weather.

Last edited:

Mark_Y

Reaction score

More than likely they have the uppers (shoes w/o soles put on) already made and waiting to go. I've only been shut out once on a clearance item and it was the Amok. I'm sure you'll be fine. Did he offer you the sale price? You should be getting that for sure!

Yes, I got the sale price. $245. If those Walnuts go on sale at Norstroms for the after Christmas men's sale, I'm going to grab those too.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried on a pair of Strands in snuff suede and really liked them. My wife REALLY liked them and said "buy those now". Got to love that. Got to love that.

You're a lucky man. :nodding:

AE's customer service is frighteningly good. If the salesman said they'd do it -- especially if you have an invoice to that effect -- they'll make it work, probably even if it means MTO'ing a pair for you at the sale price.

JEdge

Reaction score

Whatever finish they used on the leather to give it a burnished look for this particular style peeled off not only on the toe but other parts of the upper as well. Not sure if the photos are clear.
That is nuts! Really glad I went with the Long Branch - got them in last night, wearing them today, very pleased!

YoungSweet

Reaction score
More than likely they have the uppers (shoes w/o soles put on) already made and waiting to go. I've only been shut out once on a clearance item and it was the Amok. I'm sure you'll be fine. Did he offer you the sale price? You should be getting that for sure! While you're waiting for them to be delivered, buy some Tarrago Nano Protector for the suede (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarrago-Nan...536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c2c6f8b8) and you'll feel better about wearing them in all kinds of weather.

Second on this protector spray, great stuffs. I got one last week and treated my girlfriend's ankle boots. She was walking fine through the first snow storm we had.

NicNac

Reaction score

Looking for some expert advice.

I recently bought a pair of Walnut Daltons in 11 D and absolutely love them. The length is fine and after 5 wears I am noticing that they are starting to stretch a bit in the width. I do get a slight rubbing against my baby toe but I am hoping that it will go away after a few more wears.

I now need a pair of dress shoes so I am considering a pair of Strands. Would I go with the same size or do I go a size up or down? Also because of the slight rubbing, should I consider an E width?

Your advice would greatly help me choose my next pair of AE's.

Thanks!

Can anyone offer any advice? I would like to purchase soon.

Thanks,

OptoDoc

Reaction score
^

Try 10.5E first.

I'm an 8.5D in the Long Branch (same last as Dalton) and an 8E in the Strand.

Last edited:

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy shell Dalton seconds arrived today. As far as I can tell, the only significant defect is that the "wing" on the left one is a little misshapen:

I hope it comes through in the photo. Anyway, I'm trying to decide if that's a deal-breaker. I doubt anyone would ever notice besides me, but I will see it every time I look down. Has anyone else successfully put up with this? Thanks in advance for any perspectives!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Honestly it would bug me and that is the reason I don't buy seconds. I am quite OCD. If I buy a first and it has defects I feel OK about returning it. I don't like paying for something that is defected and then not being 'happy' with the defect. Granted I see a lot of people get seconds and report that they don't know why they are seconds, but I don't have that kind of luck. Therefore I avoid the situation entirely.

IMO I would not feel right returning a second quality shoe because it didn't end up having a defect that I could live with. I am probably in the minority.

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score
Burgundy shell Dalton seconds arrived today. As far as I can tell, the only significant defect is that the "wing" on the left one is a little misshapen:

I hope it comes through in the photo. Anyway, I'm trying to decide if that's a deal-breaker. I doubt anyone would ever notice besides me, but I will see it every time I look down. Has anyone else successfully put up with this? Thanks in advance for any perspectives!
Honestly I would've noticed that even if you didn't point it out. Personally it would bother me but you have to decide if it will bother you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads