Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

I tried on a 9.5 EEE yesterday, when I returned my Strands, and it was a little loose on the front for my feet. Also, there was still a significant gap on the top (very close to jimanchower's 9EEE Hales). So, my next option would be Jos A Bank's AE Boardroom, which is a Park Avenue on the 7 last. Will give you guys an update.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

2. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I wear a 12EEE in the Clifton and a 13D (my Brannock) in the MacNeil. Just my $0.02

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

That happened to me within a month of buying some new old stock shell Leeds a few years ago.

This stuff, applied very sparingly, did the trick. I was back on the shoes within 24 hours (just to let it set properly).

Had it been anything more frightening (the welt, any stitching, etc) I'd've sent it to AE or a skilled cobbler in a heartbeat... but I had the goop on hand from an earlier repair to cheaper shoes, and it's about the least invasive procedure a sole can undergo. :)

4. tats

tats Active Member

Same issue here. I have a 7.5EEE (don't laugh) and my Hales fit me perfectly, my Fifth Aves almost as good and my strands are tight on the top of my foot and have at least an inch of separation just like the ones posted here. The Hale's fit is really amazing, I would buy them in every color if I could but unfortunately for me I just have the Chili

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I agree. They are on closeout for $250 which is still kind of spendy for a duck boot but only half the price of a pair of Le Chameau. Never been a fan of the Bean boot and I really like and own a fair amount of Bean gear. The chain link tread is more than worthless on anything other than flat surfaces for me and the heels are so narrow and small it always felt like my ankle was going to roll. The tread on the Beans are designed for mud and to prevent build up of mud like found on most boots lugs and cleats. Those AE duck boots look to be a perfect solution for winter traction with a full Vibram lug sole that has plenty of surface contact area. And a full heel. Bulky yes but not near as much as a true Felt Pac boot

[​IMG]

I like the look of the AE Canvasback for wear in the city.

6. AT83

AT83 Active Member

My newest boot additions needed some winter attention. The RW Beckmans and the AE Bayfields both got Obenauf's Leather Oil followed by Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP the next day. I used my Mr. Coffee mug warmer to melt the jar of HDLP and applied with my fingers. I gave each shoe about 3 minutes of hair dryer treatment and then left them over night again to soak it in, then buffed and brushed away the excess. My older black Danner (imports) duty boots only got a little bit of shoe polish to the toe, the glycol from work really does a number on them and I don't expect them to last more than 4-5 winter seasons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Work Stompers, Casual Stompers, Classier Stompers

7. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

10.5EE on the Macneil should fit pretty well for you. The 7 last is a bit shorter and more forgiving on the top, plus its a blucher which should make it more comfortable on the top. I have basically the same fit "issues" with my Park Aves and I'm I got the same size for my MacNeils.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

IMO, you would regret the purchase from day 1.

9. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

The Style Forum homepage has a link to the AE Appreciation Thread on their slider, and one of my AE MTO photos I took is pictured. Kinda cool. I didn't know I was such a good shoe photographer. :) Since they pictured my AE Shell Franciscan, and I was wearing them today, I figured I would show you how the look out in the wild.

[​IMG]

10. nhindian

nhindian Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm in dire need of stepping up my shoe collection and want to start with AE.

Are there any good sales going on / starting soon?

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I've never had the dovetail part come off, but I've worn them down. All the cobblers I've used replace the entire heel rather than just the dovetail piece. they'll charge extra for the half leather/half rubber heel, too. You know the kind with a half moon shape (rubber). I don't know why they don't do an all rubber heel on replacement. Maybe they don't stock/order those dovetail heel pieces?

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

In my experience, that just depends on the cobbler.

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Large is absolutely right for you. I am an 8.5 (8 in Alden Barrie and 8E on the AE 1 last) and I wear the Large. Some of my boots they are very, very tight but for the most part they fit well. I know there are cheaper overshoes (Tingley I believe) but I am very pleased with the quality of my Swims.

14. althanis

althanis Senior member

That's awesome, thank you for the reply.

Coincidentally (it's funny how these things happen), I saw a guy with orange Swims today over his walnut dub monks. Not necessarily the colour I plan on going with, but it sure looked like it was keeping his shoes nice and dry.

15. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

FYI: Ssense.com has Swims on sale for half off.

http://www.ssense.com/men/search?terms=swims galoshes

$50-70 in Orange, Navy, and Green Camo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.