1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Just googled it. Don't think it looks particularly dressy, though maybe wouldn't work well with shorts. Would def be cool with jeans/chinos.

[​IMG]

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

check the Sebago handsewn line..about $350 - $400 - I have an older pair that are great and they seem to understand heel ratio better than AE -

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Here is an example of my new Addison next to my older Sebago Handsewn in USA and you can easily see the difference in the taper to the heel of the foot. I think this is the part AE just does not get. For the record the Addison's fit me great - I am guessing my high arch which keeps the bals from lacing tight is filling out the loafer..win some and lose some. sorry for the shitty photo my DSL batter is dead.

These shoes are both 13D

[​IMG]

4. Czilla9000

Czilla9000 Member

It terms of maintenance, if I used shoe trees and got them shoe shined at Nordstroms, would that be enough? Would they know how to shine a Walnut shoe?

(i'm kinda scared to do the maintenance myself)

5. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

I would imagine that a professional shoe-shiner knows how to shine all tones of brown calfskin shoes.

6. Jonkr15

Jonkr15 Active Member

No reason to be scared of doing the maintenance yourself. Pick up some neutral leather conditioner and polish, read/watch a few tips on the AE site and you'll be good.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

They are a great looking shoe, congrats! With mild bowing it is usually lack of volume in AE shoes due to the unique construction. AE stores sell black superfeet 3/4 length inserts for ~$20 and I think one of the main reasons is to add more volume to the shoe for customers that experience minor bowing. They have replaced my $400 custom orthotics and work better for my foot. Might be worth a try.

The Patriot is perfect for jeans and chinos IMO. I have narrow heels and the Patriot is the first loafer where I didn't experience heel slip. I also have a low volume foot with little to no arch and the Patriot works well for me there too. Since then I also picked up the Manchester which also fits well, but it is a much dressier loafer. I don't have the calf but have 2 pair in shell, brown and burgundy. I feel you are correct in your assumption, CG leather is stiffer than regular calf in my limited experience with it. The shell is going to have rolls instead of creases but overall look is going to be close. Rolls in shell loafers is a classic look to me and my preference. My burgundy are at B. Nelson right now getting new welts and soles, I took some pictures before I sent them off to do a before and after comparison if that helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you think these inserts will suit me better or tongue pads? I just ordered a couple cheap ones on eBay. I wonder if it matters whether my foot is being pushed down from the top or up from the bottom...

9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

order a pair of AE ortho inserts...there is very little in structure- I do not need ortho inserts and these are great and they make several of my shoes fit perfect or as close to it as can be due to my feet-

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  10. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Was thinking about getting another pair of boots. Curious what the gents here think about the Wolverine 744 LTD in brown cordovan versus the Alden Jcrew captoe boot in #8 shell.

I already have Daltons in both calf and cordovan, Fifth streets, and Alden Indy. Is the wolverine the answer just because it's different enough from the rest?

11. docgerrard

docgerrard Well-Known Member

What do y'all recommend for the best interview shoes? I bought some walnut Strands and am thinking they may be too flashy?

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Unless it is a crazy conservative firm you will be fine

13. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Depends on the industry. You can't go wrong with a captoe though, either stitched captoe or punched captoe.

14. docgerrard

Its for residency interviews in the medical field, I guess that doesn't help you much though unless you are familiar with it. Moderately conservative. But I love the strands since I feel like they would go great in any other setting, especially for day to day shoes to wear in clinic.

15. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I am applying as well in the fall. I own walnut Strands and would never wear them to a residency interview. They're significantly flashy and I wouldn't want PDs to remember me as "the guy with the shoes." I actually just ordered the black Carlyle for this very purpose. I would, however, wear the Strands to the pre-interview dinner if there was one, and I do wear them around the wards pretty often.

16. docgerrard

Dang :/ I love them, but can only afford one new pair of shoes at the moment.

I don't want black shoes, maybe I'll go with the brown strands.

17. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

I would wear a black balmoral captoe to an interview. (AE's Park Avenue.)

Short of that, a dark brown balmoral captoe. (AE's PA or Fifth Avenue.)

1 person likes this.
  18. docgerrard

Or I also really like the "bourbon" color. What do you think about these?

19. IndianaGeo

IndianaGeo Well-Known Member

Love the bourbon colour. I'm thinking of getting some myself. I think it could work.

IG

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Bourbon is only slightly less flashy than walnut.

Safest bet is dark brown Park Ave, Fifth Ave, or even McAllister, as long as it's dark. Those are great shoes, and you'll get lots of use out of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.