• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Ok, if you were trying to bring sexy back...which one of these EC MTO makeups would you go with?

Dark chocolate upper
tone on tone stitching
flat black welt (light brown welt with light brown stitching)
poron insole
dainite sole (Mini lug with light brown transparent sole edge)
black speed hooks

Probably What I would do. A touch of contrast between the dark upper and less dark welt and sole would look nice, in my opinion. Mini lug because I think some treads on a boot look good.

kentyman

Reaction score
Also, I took a look at the different sole options, and I have to say the Dainite sole is definitely the "sleekest" sole when compared to the mini lug sole. I'm not sure which I'm going to go with for my EC MTO.

There's something about the soles that don't show any leather at all that make it feel cheaper. I feel like it makes it look like they're not Goodyear welted but rather cemented on, though I understand that's not actually the case. Because of that, I'm only considering the following, sorted by presumed "clunkiness":

1. Double Butyl: Has that pure leather look, but may wear quicker than a rubber sole and have less traction in rain
  2. V-Tread Tap: Seems like the lowest profile, though for some reason doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention for this MTO. Seems like it might be the best of both worlds.
  3. Tempest Tap: Looks kinda like a combination tap sole version of the Dainite. Anyone considering this? Anyone know anything about it?
  4. Mini-lug Tap: Seems like a good choice for actual foul weather boots, though I have a worry that it changes the profile and makes them look too casual/rugged.

For the record, I'm going for a Brown Chromexcel boot that I can wear on rainy days that also won't look bad going out on the town with jeans or chinos.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest "defective" MTOs came in today. Burgundy shell Lexingtons with a natural welt and edge finishing. I called in a week ago asking about them. Allison was very apologetic because I had asked for independence lining, but only an independence insole got put in. Also, they put "Sanford" (A Lexington is a Sanford on the 1-last instead of the 7-last) instead of "Lexington." Not that worried about it - they look great!

Last edited:

SidewinderX

Reaction score
I'm considering adding a pair of Neumoks to my stable to wear casually with jeans/chinos/etc... however, I can't decide what color to get! I tend to wear more denim than light chinos and I can't decide between red, blue, and olive. Anyone have strong feelings on the matter? Or great examples of of any of those "in the wild" to help me decide?

Subutai

Reaction score

I'm considering adding a pair of Neumoks to my stable to wear casually with jeans/chinos/etc... however, I can't decide what color to get! I tend to wear more denim than light chinos and I can't decide between red, blue, and olive. Anyone have strong feelings on the matter? Or great examples of of any of those "in the wild" to help me decide?

I find olive to be the most versatile

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have both the blue and the olive - great shoes. I think the olive is more versatile than the blue. Wearing the blue with denim feels kinda "matchy matchy" to me. OTOH, the olive with denim looks great, and with khaki looks even better.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
There's something about the soles that don't show any leather at all that make it feel cheaper. I feel like it makes it look like they're not Goodyear welted but rather cemented on, though I understand that's not actually the case. Because of that, I'm only considering the following, sorted by presumed "clunkiness":

1. Double Butyl: Has that pure leather look, but may wear quicker than a rubber sole and have less traction in rain
  2. V-Tread Tap: Seems like the lowest profile, though for some reason doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention for this MTO. Seems like it might be the best of both worlds.
  3. Tempest Tap: Looks kinda like a combination tap sole version of the Dainite. Anyone considering this? Anyone know anything about it?
  4. Mini-lug Tap: Seems like a good choice for actual foul weather boots, though I have a worry that it changes the profile and makes them look too casual/rugged.

For the record, I'm going for a Brown Chromexcel boot that I can wear on rainy days that also won't look bad going out on the town with jeans or chinos.

My sentiments exactly, with the a sole of entire rubber. Part of the appeal of the leather soled shoe, is indeed, having some leather on the sole, in my opinion. I have the V-tread on a pair of Strands I have (Not BB) and I really like it, I think its a great sole. For someone who is looking for a very low profile and dressy option, it is what I would recommend.

kentyman

Reaction score
Snuff suede neumoks would be my vote.

I'm having a similar dilemma on Neumoks.

If anyone recalls, I ordered 4 sizes of Banff slippers when they were $59. The only size that worked for me was 9EEE (I'm normally 8.5D in 5-65 and 9D in others). Sadly, they were terrible quality. I sold the 8.5EEE to OptoDoc (how'd those work out?), asked for a refund on the 9D and 9.5D, and requested an exchange on the 9EEE. Then I got this email:

Quote:
This is really above-and-beyond of them, considering I only paid $59 for a $125 slipper!

However, now I need to decide how to spend this windfall. I considered putting it toward the $199 Dark Blue Jingle Bell Mok (199-175+59=$83 total), but I'm not sure if I like it more than the Navy Neumok (275-175+59=$159 total). And if I'm going to put it toward a $275 shoe, I think I prefer the Snuff Suede Neumok. Then again, I hadn't been planning on buying this shoe, and if I was I likely would've considered a factory second for $159 (same as I'd pay now) or a Brooks Brothers factory second when they go on sale for $150 or even $125 (cheaper than I'd pay now).

Basically, even though I prefer Snuff Suede, an $83 Dark Blue Jingle Bell Mok and eventually buying a Snuff Suede second for $159 (or cheaper) sounds like a better use of the money than just spending it on what amounts to a free upgrade from factory second to factory Snuff Suede firsts.

Opinions? Maybe someone with the Dark Blue Jingle Bell Mok could convince me with pictures? ;)

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest "defective" MTOs came in today. Burgundy shell Lexingtons with a natural welt and edge finishing. I called in a week ago asking about them. Allison was very apologetic because I had asked for independence lining, but only an independence insole got put in. Also, they put "Sanford" (A Lexington is a Sanford on the 1-last instead of the 7-last) instead of "Lexington." Not that worried about it - they look great!

Those are absolutely sweet. Envious!

kentyman

Reaction score
My sentiments exactly, with the a sole of entire rubber. Part of the appeal of the leather soled shoe, is indeed, having some leather on the sole, in my opinion. I have the V-tread on a pair of Strands I have (Not BB) and I really like it, I think its a great sole. For someone who is looking for a very low profile and dressy option, it is what I would recommend.

Thanks for this. It actually matches what Allison emailed me today:

Quote:
The only reason I waver is I wonder if I'm too hooked on the leather look and should be considering something a little more gnarly. But I probably should go with my first instinct.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Thanks for this. It actually matches what Allison emailed me today:

The only reason I waver is I wonder if I'm too hooked on the leather look and should be considering something a little more gnarly. But I probably should go with my first instinct.

I think it just comes down to the look you want to achieve. I think the mini lug is going to look great on my suede make up, as I want them to be an all weather boot, and look the part. Rugged and suede go together in my eyes. Opinions vary.

The V tread sole is basically invisible when standing, so if you want a dress boot, the eagle county would look really sharp with it.

Hope that helps some.

850csi

Reaction score

I probably would have gone with the v-tread had I not already had it on my Strands and 5As, and if this wasn't going to be my only boot for the time being. I think it'll definitely be my sole of choice if/when I get around to getting Daltons.

I personally don't like the idea of a mini lug sole on the EC because I'm going for a dressy look and the shoe's shape itself is very sleek. I think the mini lug looks better on boots built on chunkier lasts like the Bayfield. But that's just me.

kentyman

Reaction score
The V tread sole is basically invisible when standing, so if you want a dress boot, the eagle county would look really sharp with it.

I'm looking for somewhat of a Jack-of-all-trades, which I realize may be hard to get right. I currently have Burgundy Shell Daltons that fit the dress boot bill very nicely, but I'm reluctant to wear them hard if weather gets bad. I'm looking for something that can handle some rain, works when totally casual (jeans and t-shirt), but also would do fine with a dressed-up a tad with jeans/chinos and a sport coat.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Leather: Brown Chromexcel
Stitching: Contrast, matching the Wilbert welt stitching mentioned below.
Lining/Insole: Independence or Standard, depending upon fit. Allison said Independence takes up more room.
Welt type: Split Reverse, as it leans more rugged.
Welt color: Allison suggested the contrast-stitched "Brown with Reverse Smokey Stitch" of the Wilbert. It looks different here. I'm still not sure if I want the welt leather to match the uppers, the edge dressing, or neither. Thoughts?
Edge dressing: Still trying to decide between Natural Toasted, Light Brown Transparent, Brown Transparent. Thoughts?
Eyelets: Was thinking Brass Agatine, but Allison suggested Copper Agatine might look better as brass might stand out too much. Thoughts?
Speed hooks: I'm thinking 6-holes-3-hooks or 5-holes-4-hooks instead of 6-2-1 as it comes.
Pull tab: Unmodified, as Allison said it can't really be changed to resemble the Dalton or be removed completely. This surprised me, but I'm fine with it.
Sole: As mentioned before, I'm still trying to decide between Double Butyl, V-Tread Tap, Tempest Tap, and Mini-lug Tap: http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/ae_spring_digest_web_lr/46

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
I'm looking for somewhat of a Jack-of-all-trades, which I realize may be hard to get right. I currently have Burgundy Shell Daltons that fit the dress boot bill very nicely, but I'm reluctant to wear them hard if weather gets bad. I'm looking for something that can handle some rain, works when totally casual (jeans and t-shirt), but also would do fine with a dressed-up a tad with jeans/chinos and a sport coat.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Leather: Brown Chromexcel
Stitching: Contrast, matching the Wilbert welt stitching mentioned below.
Lining/Insole: Independence or Standard, depending upon fit. Allison said Independence takes up more room.
Welt type: Split Reverse, as it leans more rugged.
Welt color: Allison suggested the contrast-stitched "Brown with Reverse Smokey Stitch" of the Wilbert. It looks different here. I'm still not sure if I want the welt leather to match the uppers, the edge dressing, or neither. Thoughts?
Edge dressing: Still trying to decide between Natural Toasted, Light Brown Transparent, Brown Transparent. Thoughts?
Eyelets: Was thinking Brass Agatine, but Allison suggested Copper Agatine might look better as brass might stand out too much. Thoughts?
Speed hooks: I'm thinking 6-holes-3-hooks or 5-holes-4-hooks instead of 6-2-1 as it comes.
Pull tab: Unmodified, as Allison said it can't really be changed to resemble the Dalton or be removed completely. This surprised me, but I'm fine with it.
Sole: As mentioned before, I'm still trying to decide between Double Butyl, V-Tread Tap, Tempest Tap, and Mini-lug Tap: http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/ae_spring_digest_web_lr/46

First off, don't worry about wearing your daltons in inclement weather. I've got Burgundy shell daltons, and in the last month, i've worn them in calf deep snow at least twice a week. Just gave them a good brushing, cleaning, and a touch of AE cordovan creme, and they look like mirrors. I've had a topy applied to those though, one that is similar to the v-tap, but a with a more aggressive tread. . Shell is VERY tough, in my experience, no need to baby it.

Thanks for commenting on the independence lining being a little thicker. Im going to change mine back to regular lining then. Would love to get purple lining, but doubt thats an option.

As for your Eagle County, those specs, to me, seem really really good. I would go with the light brown transparent edge or brown, the natural will be too flashy. Same goes with the eyelets, I would go with the ones that stand out less. Given the casual make up of this boot,(casual leather, split reverse welt, contrast stitching) adding the flashy eyelets, in my opinion, threatens to make it too casual to dress up. The welt color from those Wilberts would be nice I think.

As for the last bit. The 6-2-1 set up is incredibly dumb. I have a pair already, and they are a pain to lace. Im going to go top 4 as speed hooks, since Allison told me I can't have all eyelets. (If you get all eyelets, the ones that used to be speed hooks will have bigger holes) Remember that the Eagle County is taller than your daltons (about an inch), and has 9 eyelets instead of 7. Since you want to dress this up at times, I would go with the V-tread or tempest tap, leaning towards to v-tread. Its a little more dressy, and would help keep the boot from being too casual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics