1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

I'm surprised you get with with balmorals. I think it's a little baby powder works

2. Denton

Denton Senior member

I hear you. While this are hardly dressy, I think I can pull them off in non-Apocolypse weather like my office in a business-casual environment, unlike the LL Bean. Just my opinion.

3. mdgrwl

mdgrwl New Member

Hey guys - very new to the forum (first post).

I'm looking to grab a few pairs of AE's as I'm a brogue junky.

Any sales or sites to get them from without paying full pop?

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I like these better than the LL Beans - but yeah the Beans are classic's for sure.

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Just picked these Addisons up on the bay fairly cheap- I am sure they are no warranty so curious to see the defect - description said suede - I can not tell what the leather is - the regular issue of it was CXL right?- hoping to use these as a base to size some other loafers-curious what the flaw was or just returned after being worn. I needed something to give my boat shoes a break in the summer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  6. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

about to order walnut stands, and brown moras. do you guys use a different brush for each colour? or just a different dauber but the same brush?

7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I have a different brush for each. At only a few bucks a piece each it is a no brainer to me.

8. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

I started getting different brushes for each color but always end up using the brushes interchangeably. I don't think I have noticed any color transfer, however, I try to work on shoes with same color each time.

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I thought you guys might like to see the progress of my cappuccino shell Dundees. These came pretty cloudy and caked in creme.

Here is an untreated, hazy Dundee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let the arm workout begin...

[​IMG]

Finished result

[​IMG]

I think there is likely another round or two that needs to happen, but I am pleased with the initial result. The shell looks far healthier and has considerable more shine to it.

10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

For my calf shoes, I have a brown brush and a black brush. I have used the brown on AE Walnut to EG's Dark Oak and haven't noticed any transfer. For shell, I have a dark shell brush and a light shell brush. I feel like I'm missing some because I am picturing 6 brushes in my shoe kit. I think I have one for just knocking dust off of any and all colors and maybe one that I haven't used yet. That sounds about right.

With that said, I am expecting a couple more dark brown shoes so I think I'm going to dedicate one to dark brown just because I have an extra brush. I have only polished the walnut AE's a couple times...so in the long run it may be best to have a light brown only brush.

11. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Nice job, Ryden. What did you do between the in process pic and what you called the finished result? Any more product or just brushing?

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Lots of Renovateur! I basically continually worked small areas at a time until there was less creme being visibly removed abd then I went on to the next area. After that a ton of brushing. I haven't used any additional cordovan creme yet but I will once I am certain I have removed all applied other creme

13. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

thanks for all the answers guys. much appreciated.

what are your thoughts on dobbers vs just an old cloth? are they just easier to work with or do you find they provide a better application. read a bunch of google results on shoe shining and the thoughts vary wildly so i figured i ask the AE crowd

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I should note that T Shirt is the result of just one shoe, not both. It took about 30-45 minutes so I did not have the opportunity to complete both

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Hmmm. Good question. You really need a brush to apply the polish to the welt area. I think the brushing with the large brush after applying the polish is what evens out the application more. I use the dauber all over the shoe to apply polish since I already have polish on it from brushing the welt area.

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

That is why I just let it happen naturally over a year or so on my Cambridge!

17. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Is there a good conditioner that won't add color for shell? One of my burgundy Dundee seems to have a crackly looking roll in the valley. I've used a toothbrush in there thinking it was just the bloom but now not so sure. I'd rather not apply any colored AE creme as I'd still like them to lighten up some more.

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I prefer Saphir's neutral cordovan creme.

19. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Thats what I was thinking but didn't know what else was out there. Thanks!

20. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

My favorite process for AE shell. Though I have gone through almost two jars of Reno now... I wonder if I should switch to using Renomat to get the excess polish off quicker in the future?

BTW those Dundees are a great color, I am a bit fan of very subtle red tones compared to the Brown shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.