1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior Member

Speaking of Burgundy Shell, I am wearing myBurgundy Shell Daltons today. Here is stuck my feet in the sunlight shining through the window, and the bright light made for a cool pic of the shell...
    [​IMG]

2. bkotsko

bkotsko Distinguished Member

Lookin' good GOP

3. Subutai

Subutai Senior Member

I sincerely can't wait to see these!

4. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior Member

A blurry picture of my first day with my new 2nd burgundy MacNeils, bought during the Black Friday sale. I know these are a thread favorite around here, but I was on the fence about getting them since I think they look a little too "clunky" compared to some other long-wings, in particular the Larchmont. But, I decided that for $99, you couldn't go wrong. And I was right. Loving them now. I haven't used any products yet, but when I get home this weekend, they will be getting a good conditioning.

Really happy that I picked these up. I've been looking for a second burgundy since I travel every week for work and it's easier to bring two pairs of matching-colored shoes, thus only needing one belt. Now I have these to go with my burgundy Nathan's, which might be my favorite pair that I currently own. These pairs of shoes complement each other well.

Macneil's today:
    [​IMG]

Nathan's yesterday:
    [​IMG]

5. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior Member

I know many, including Allen Edmonds themselves, tout the 5 last as their sleekest original last. But to me, something about the 8 last is particularly sleek and smooth as well. It has a slightly flatter and less bulbous toe than the 5 last which can appear quite streamlined in the right profile. Obviously the 22 and 333 last are more chiseled euro-inspired lasts, but the 8 looks rather nice to me as well.

6. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior Member

Thanks for this, I am having a MTO boot and was really on the fence about what kind of sole I should get. This is kind of swaying me away from the Mini-Lug, which was my leading candidate. Do you have any boots on Dainite?

Would anyone with experience comment on how the Dainite fairs in inclement weather? I am trying to decide between Mini-Lug, Dainite, and Combination V-Tap for an upcoming MTO. Mini lug looks most substantial, dainite seems nice all around, V tap is probably the most dressy (but this will be a boot worn with jeans) but has the benefit of being very easy to replace when worn down, as I don't really have any local cobblers I trust.

7. NWTeal

NWTeal Distinguished Member

Hey guys, it's been almost a week, but I thought some of you might enjoy what my shell PAs look like after I treated them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For anyone interested, I first used Saphir Cordovan Cream in the neutral color. The shell seemed to soak it up really quickly which is rare, but I figured it meant it needed some nourishment. I then wanted to add some burgundy color back as the shoes looked really worn from sitting on the shelf for who knows how long.
    To do this I used the AE Burgundy Cordovan Cream. To be honest, I find that the AE cream does the best job at leaving a good glow/shine on my cordovan shoes. I've tried reno, saphir cordovan cream and venetian shoe cream as well, but nothing works like AE cream. For my other shell shoes I try to stick to just brushing and buffing for the most part, but sometimes I use a little product to get a richer glow.
    Hope you guys enjoyed and thanks for the initial responses! Edit: I don't know what was going on with the spacing so I tried to fix it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

8. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior Member

For jeans, I would go all out and order the Vibram lug sole, à la the Long Branch.

(Edit: That was @NakedSnake. Sorry NWTeal... Gorgeous pair of shell!)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

9. 850csi

850csi Senior Member

AE added Dainite fairly recently; you'd probably be better off asking elsewhere, perhaps if there's a C&J or Loake thread floating around.

I have no experience, but I went with Dainite because I needed the boot to have some durability/waterproofing yet be very easy to dress up. I realize you're looking to wear these with jeans, but I think it still depends on what kind of look you're going for. Lug soles, especially a full-on Vibram sole like on the Long Branch, look very different than a v-tread or something like that.

10. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. Im going for the very dressy side of Casual. I am planning on doing MTO Eagle county from Snuff suede. I don't want the full Vibram sole, I already have it on the Long branches, and while I love those, it would be a touch too clunky here. Hence me wanting the dainite or Mini lug (Im after the same durability/waterproofing you are), which I think is a nice mid ground between V-tread and Full vibram. Ill ask around some of the other fora and see what I can find.

11. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior Member

Is the mini-lug what the Bayfield has? It's a lot more discrete than the Vibram full lug. I think it could work.

12. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior Member

Its tough to find a good picture of the Mini-lug online, but its basically identical (in terms of looks, maybe not construction, as was previously mentioned) to the alden "commando sole". Give that a quick search. The more I look at that sole, the more I think I am going to have to get it.

13. bkotsko

bkotsko Distinguished Member

Quote:There is also the toby minilug as on the AE Aberdeen. Take a look there.

14. d4nimal

d4nimal Senior Member

As far as I can tell this is a mini lug on the Bayfield, though I think it is the Toby and not the Vibram Mini Lug. Not sure what the real difference is aside from a yellow rubber stamp on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

**These are not my shoes, btw. I looked through literally every picture ever posted in this thread trying to find what every sole option looked like. In the end I went with a Vibram mini lug for my MTo eagle county.

15. optopi314

optopi314 Member

I had defective Strands that I returned. I picked up their replacements and noticed that the leather looks weird in spots- sort of scaly. I also noticed that there are some ripples in the leather. I also noticed a streak that looks like a pen mark. I can deal with the last one. The other two make me hesitant about the quality of the leather. I want these shoes to last and if the leather is defective, I don't intend to keep them.

That said, am I being overly OCD or is this normal for a new pair? I don't think either have been worn as they had the laces in "new shoe" lacing.

[​IMG]
    Scaly Leather- like this on other parts of the shoe. Did the shoe get too dry?

[​IMG]
    Leather ripples all over

[​IMG]
    Pen mark. This one I can deal with and probably remove with some advice.

Like I said, am I OCD or are these genuine issues? I intend to take excellent care of them so that they last a while (at least through school for the next 4 years). I don't want to start off with crumby leather.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.