Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AT83

AT83 Active Member

2. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Haha, good point. I've never seen such enthusiasm for something on the 2-last

3. d4nimal

d4nimal Senior member

Second vote for the Merlot! Only reason I'm not doing it is because I don't own lighter colored AE's and too close to my chocolate Daltons. I'm also probably going to have remorse when I see the pics of yours.

4. uunngghh

uunngghh Member

Are the RL shoes made by AE all on the 222 last? I.e., Sanderson, Slaton, Saunders, etc.

5. 850csi

850csi Senior member

2-last is actually a large part of why I'm going for it. I'm normally a 13C and they don't like Daltons in C width; the 13D Eagle Countys fit me like a glove and have a nicer shape to boot.

6. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

^I think it's great csi; I love the Norwich monkstraps but could not get the 2last to work for me in any size. It's a notorious last that either really works or doesn't, so I hope these other guys are in your camp and know what they're getting into!

7. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

How long do "made to order" Strands usually take to be made and shipped? I ordered a pair on Nov. 22nd, and its status still says "Order Received".

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  8. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

9. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Yeah, my only concern is that I'm getting them in calf rather than the cowhide that fit me very nicely - but if anything too big > too small and I'll just wear thicker socks.

What is this about excessive creasing, though?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  10. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Excessive creasing presumably due to poor fit.

Someone more knowledgeable should correct me, but if anything, I think calf might fit tighter than cowhide. Something to do with how the leather fits around the last. For example the McTavish is well known to be much looser than its calf skin counterparts on the 5 last.

11. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

The question I have is how long a RECRAFT takes. They charged my card on the 22nd of Nov. and the shoes arrived there on 20th of Nov. I'm just anxious and of course they haven't sent any emails or updates what so ever.

12. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

It is generally 3-4 weeks.
    If you are concerned, call Barb in Recrafting.
    She has gotten back to me timely when I called her.

13. d4nimal

d4nimal Senior member

I just confirmed my order going in for my Eagle County MTO's with Allison on the phone. She's been great about getting back to me either later the same day or the next day, but I've called twice and never been made to feel like I was pestering/an annoyance. If you are getting frustrated re: email correspondence, you can always call. If she doesn't pick up you can either leave a message or just wait on the line.

14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

The only #2 last I have is the RL Sanderson. It is the same size as almost all my AE shoes.

It fits me differently than the #5, but not necessarily worse or better. It MIGHT be a smidge narrower than the 5, but it more than makes up for it - for me - by being more tolerant of my high instep. I took a chance on it because of a great deal at Jeffersonville at the time. The closest brick and morter AE store is 350 miles away and even they don't usually have and #2 last shoes in E or EE's in stock so I rolled the dice and it worked out.

Had I jumped onto the EC MTO, I would have ordered the same size and crossed my fingers.

15. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Another perspective on the fit of the 2 last, for what it's worth:

I have a pair of shell Norwiches in 9.5 E (my typical size). When I got them they were tight enough in the toes that my first instinct was to return them. But, since they were such a good price (seconds minus an additional 15%) and since I have such an abiding love of shell, I wore them around the house off and on for a week or so until they loosened up enough for me to decide to keep them after all. I wouldn't want to walk 10 miles in them now, but they're certainly fine for my ordinary use.

With that experience in mind, when I was considering getting in on the EC deal, I went down to my friendly neighborhood AE store, where the assistant manager put me in the Brannock and then told me I should go up to 9.5 EEE. I included this information in my initial email to Allison. Her response was that this would certainly be too loose in the heel, and I would be better off remaining in the E.

(As an aside, I don't know if others experience this, but . . . my feet swell when I'm dehydrated, so whenever shoes are too tight for me, I drink a glass or two of water. It makes a difference!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.