1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Neither of those are on the 5 last, they are 8 last shoes. Still narrower than their more bulbous offerings, but the 5 last is a perfect balance for office and evening wear.

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

The Kenilworth is on the 5 last, so should fit the same as your Park Avenue. The Leed is on the 1 last, which is more generous width wise, so you might want to get sized at an AE store before you buy this one online. The Delray on the 8 last is a little more tapered, but not as slim as the 5 overall, might have a little bit less toe space though.

When in doubt, if you have an AE location near you, use the resources at our disposal...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  3. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

It is a shame really. AE is notorious for discontinuing great looking styles. Except for maybe a few current styles, they don't seem to be making any design I'd want to add to my collection.

4. JubeiSpiegel

I said this in the MTO AE thread, and i'll say it here.

Note to AE:

Please make more 8 last shoes.

Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I wore my strands all day yesterday and at the end of the day my feet were killing me.

I normally only wear them for my 8 hour shift and I change into running shoes. After work we had a work party so I decided to wear them there. When I got home after midnight my feet were done.

Am I the only one who experienced the strands not being comfortable?

6. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Wearing my Dundees today, they are "dark brown" but compared to my strands they are lighter and also have less red in them. I love the color.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. JubeiSpiegel

I'm with you, my regular line AEs always leave my feet a little sore after an extended wear. Some people don't mind the comfort of a bare insole, but i prefer at least a little half sock liner if possible. Luckily, there is always AE MTO :slayer:

8. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Love the dundees, I had to let mine go due to poor fit. Waiting on an available seconds in my new size.

9. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Haven't worn the grey McTavishes in a while so I thought I'd break them out . . .

[​IMG]

10. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

They are 243 and only black is included in the sale

11. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Beauty - gorgeous color indeed. Very light for "dark brown." Looks almost like my truffle/cappuccino pair!

12. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

The fit was a little snug around the pinky toe but I seem to have broken them in now because they fit like a glove. I suspect the cork settling gave me just enough wiggle room above my pinky toe. I hope you are able to snag pair eventually.

13. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Only 3 are included: Manistee (walnut) $80, Dearborn (bourbon) and classic (various colors) are $65

14. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

How long/how many wears does it take to break them in?

15. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Havent tried strands but my Kenilworths stopped making my feet tired after 6 months, maybe a year of fairly often wear. Sometimes my feet get sore from a whole night of dancing if I go out in them, but thats probably something that happens regardless of what shoes you wear.

You guys might want to consider the Brooks Brothers version of the strand, as it comes with the "Poron" insole. Keep in mind you may have to size up for the tighter fit as a result of the thicker insole.

16. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I would say I am up to about 10-15 wearings and they are more comfortable each time I grab them. Now if only I could break in some of my other stuff, my cordovan Strand have only been worn once since getting them. At that rate I won't be breaking them in for a year.

17. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Well-Known Member

I'm looking to pick up a pair of burgundy loafers, probably the Kenwood because I like beefrolls. They sell the Kenwood with a rubber sole and a leather one. I'm a big fan of taking care of shoes and that usually means putting topy on the soles of shoes I'll be wearing a lot. I prefer the look of the leather sole but can see the rubber one being useful. Can anyone here speak from experience or speculate about whether the rubber sole looks cheap and if I should get some neutral-color topy applied once I get the leather-soled version? I live in a city and do a decent amount of walking, not on a daily basis but with some regularity.

Thanks!

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Nice. Don't see them posted a lot around here, but I like mine.

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I wish they had that same lacing and 'butterfly' thing near the lacing with a 'real' cap toe.

20. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Well, got an update. I was back and forth with the recraft manager on different options. They said they minimized the dents and would be able to work out the scuffs. They also said I could return or apply the value to a new pair. Was kinda wondering if they knew they were 2nds even with out the brand on the sole. For keeping the shoes she offered a recraft certificate, a 20% off next purchase and basically the prestige package (bags, trees, polish) So thinking I could use the 20% on a shell MTO I agreed. Got them Wed, and was pretty disappointed that it seemed they really didn't do much. The scratches/scuffs were still there and the dents were still noticable (actually found another I didn't catch before) Also I didn't see anything in the box about the 20% off. Just the recraft certificate. So asking about that as it was a big selling point to me. The good news is they didn't seem to use much product on them. I wore them Thur to start getting the cork back to form and wiped them down at the end of the day and not much came off. Followed by a good brushing. I def. missed them. Guess the honeymoon is over with them, just wish the first scratches were my own. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.