Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I picked up a pair of Vernon in saddle brown during the current sale. I really like them. Two questions for you all:

1) What color polish? The rep at the store suggested chili. I dabbed a little on a cloth and put it next to the shoe and it's pretty darn close but the polish may be a little "red-der" than I want the shoes to become. I really love the color they are now. The care guide on the website does not list this model. It does list other models in "saddle brown calf" and suggests "saddle brown premium polish" but I don't see that as an available color on the website. So I quickly asked online chat and they suggested neutral or if I needed color to go with something lighter like walnut. In the ask & answer section for this shoe on the website the official response to the same question from AE was that saddle brown polish is a closeout color and therefore one could use dark brown instead. Dark brown appears to be way darker than these so I would hesitate to use that. I really want to preserve the color of these.

2) How do you all size this last (8-108)? I wear 7.5EE on the 5-65 and 8E on the 1-511. EE doesn't seem to be an option on the 8 last so I went with 8E. They seem, to fit (I've only walked around in the store and on my home carpet) but I also think a 7.5EE would "fit" (there is plenty of space in the toe to support a shorter length, wider width).

Thanks!

2. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Sounds too expensive. I also wouldn't get a casual shoe in black.
    The toebox looks too chiseled to be the 5 Last. Since the 3 last is the only chiseled last I would guess it was on the 3.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

3. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

I'm getting tiny creases around the medallion of my calf Daltons when I polish them with AE cream polish; this doesnt happen to any other pair of shoes I own/polish... This is the second consecutive pair of Daltons that are doing this - and I mean, it happened after my FIRST condition/polish. No fancy tricks, no veering from the accepted (AE video chronicled) steps. Why is it happening, and is anyone having a similar issue?

EDIT: I forgot to add pics to help explain...

First Pair Daltons - Right medallion (returned after 2-3 wears)
    [​IMG]

2nd Pair - Left Medallion
    [​IMG]
    2nd Pair Closeup - Cracking
    [​IMG]

Strand Medallion
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Both shoes, polished at the same time, have 1 round of conditioning, 2 coats of cream polish. Both new.
    - Shoe tree stretching the toe box?
    - I need a humidifier?
    - Leather quality? (This shoe is MUCH less substantial in terms of the thickness of the leather, pull tab seems flimsy compared to first pair.)

I feel like 2nd boot is on its way to the condition of the 1st. If so, no thanks...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

4. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Don't do it... I have that shoe, and the (new) bourbon worked just fine, but took away a little of the black burnish. I think going any darker will draw attention to the creasing of the shoe. [​IMG]

5. EEWithoutStyle

EEWithoutStyle Senior member

My Park Aves that I ordered during the BF sale arrived at my office today, just waiting for the mail room folks to get it over. Unfortunately I'll be leaving for class in 45 min so I likely won't get them in my hands until tomorrow. None the less, very quick delivery especially during the holiday weekend. Impressed!

6. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I just spoke to Allison and paid for my MTO shoes, Dark Brown Burnished calf Strands with no toe medallion. I should have them soon! So excited!

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I hate to say it, but it sounds like they really cut some corners on you if what they said is true. Outsoles should always be lock-stitched. I don't know why they wouldn't have the capability to do that. It isn't fancy technology. As for the double stitching, that is what happens when they don't replace the welt. That is the main reason that the welt is replaced when the shoes are sent back to the factory, since it is highly difficult if not impossible to line the stitches back up in their original location. You only have one sole on your shoes. What you are seeing is the gap between the sole and the welt. The welt is only about a half inch wide, and is stitched around the perimeter of the shoe. It isn't a full sole. If you send them back to AE, the welt will be replaced, and I'd wager that you will be needing to repair them again very soon if they simply "repaired" them with an inferior stitch like a chain stitch. If they cemented the sole on before stitching it, then it may last a little longer that it would have if they just chain stitched it with no other reinforcement.

8. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Whoa, that's an interesting combination. Definitely will want to see how those turn out.

9. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

In addition to those Rush Street, how about these "Clark Street". Moc-toe natural cxl bluchers on danite soles. Another shoe I'd definitely consider. I wish AE would start doing more CXL shoes, I think it would be a great way to compete head-on with Alden.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Looks the same as my Strands. Also, Shoebuy says it's on the 5 last.

11. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Interested in seeing the bottom of that shoe - I was under the impression that AE only does black Dainite.

Anyone know what black contrast stitching would look like on chili calf?

12. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

Would you try and return them to Nordstrom's for a new pair? I should be able to....

Also, kind of off topic, but, AE's site says shoes can only be recrafted 2-3 times. Is that true?

Wearing a pair 2 times a week, how long before one should have to get them recrafted?

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Ummm...depends on where you're walking? I go through soles pretty quickly pounding pebble concrete and subway platforms in NYC

14. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

1. I would, yes.

2. Correct. Since they stitch a new welt on right where the old welt was previously, they create new holes in that same area. Repeat a few times and the leather develops too much perforation to hold up properly.

3. Too many variables. Have a cobbler slap on a pair of Topys (or Vibram equivalent) if you're worried about longevity.

15. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Maybe it's just the way the picture is taken. My 5 last shoes don't look that chiseled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.