1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrimmyS

CrimmyS Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the 35mm dress belt and the Wide Basic Dress belt are different? I put in an order for the Wide Basic Dress as a second and it had a different skew number than the 35mm, though the people are telling me it's the same belt with a different name. I can't actually view AE's website anymore cause China has been toying with it's firewall and even my VPN is not able to mask my IP address for some reason... so I don't really have any way to search for pictures of the belt myself at the moment.

2. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Sorry, I missed your reference to Zee's. I note from the thread that they only do Goodyear welted shoes on double soles. A Some shoes are Blake, and some are cemented. I'm sure you'll make sure you know what you're getting.

If you decide to forego the custom route for the moment, I'd still suggest a nice #8 shell loafer to round out your current collection.

3. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

[​IMG]
    Walnut Shell Macneils today with grey glen plaid. Never worn this combo and am still unsure about. What do you guys think?

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Here is a pair of MacNeil Cordovan's I picked up a while back - they are older for sure and needed a serious cleaning..had layers of what looked to be black polish on them. They are also very large though in my normal size. These pics are before I put an insole in them and the fit is nearly perfect and the lacing is much straighter now.

[​IMG]

5. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Great job. Unspoilered intentionally.

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I wore my shell MacNeils yesterday (with dark linen trousers). Didn't get the wear-your-gunboats-on-Wednesday memo. whoops.

GOP Shoe Guy, that looks splendid. Light shell seems to work nicely in the summer.

8. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

My turn. I got these brand last year and mine seem to be more of the cherry color than the new burgundy.

[​IMG]

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

+1, I wear my Walnut Shells primarily with lighter grey suits... If iam being adventurous, I will do navy or darker greys...

-Mike

10. brewernq

brewernq Member

picked up a pair of fifth avenues in walnut from shoebank. they are a tad lighter than i would prefer. Is there anything I can apply to this shoe to darken them a bit?

11. mdubs

Ha, I saw the question on the Alden thread, and then looked up some of Ryden's work... Cool he did CDs and stuff before...

Thanks! I was shooting for a mix between Alden's Cigar style (brown shell with "antique edging") and the AE Independence line... I strongly believe AE should do an Indy collection Strand. I went medium brown, as the light brown (transparent) was lighter than I liked... The heel stack looked odd to me the different pieces were significantly differ color tones.this one is a bit better... The Strand is my favorite AE design.

-Mike

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  12. mdubs

There are tons of polishes that you can use to darken them. The AE Walnut polish, tends to make them look very orange. You could try kiwi or Saphir polishes...

-Mike

13. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Agreed. I used walnut premium polish on my Mcallisters and they turned out much too orange. I've started using some dark brown premium polish and wax and it's getting darker. It takes time a little bit of time and work.

14. brewernq

brewernq Member

Ok, I'll see what I can find. first pair of nice leather shoes so im a complete noob at what im doing

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Dark brown? [​IMG] I've tried Saphir cognac and light brown to play around with color due to how orange AE's walnut is, but would imagine dark brown will leave you with a dark brown shoe. No?

16. mdubs

Congrats and no worries. You'll be a pro soon.

17. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

The color doesn't seem to stay on the shoes as dark as I thought it would. It's not a heavy coat or anything and my excess brushing and buffing might be weakening the effect. My original though was that since AE's Bourbon is a walnut base + black polish this would produce a similar effect over time. I forgot to mention that the walnut color has basically fallen out of favor with me since I find it pretty much useless on a balmoral so the darker, the better.

18. Progress

Progress New Member

Hi guys!

I tried on a pair of Park Avenues at Macy's last weekend that were on the clearance rack. They were size 9 but fit my foot fine (no tightness at all). I usually wear size 10s. I chatted with an AE rep online who told me they tend to run long so that makes sense.

At any rate, I noticed the topline of the vamp area (around my ankle) rubbed my ankle. That is, my feet sit too deep in the shoe and when I walk it chafes my ankle bone skin area. I guess I have a lower arch/instep and the shoe is too deep for me.

I'm thinking the 5-65 last might not be good for my feet.

I really like the look of the Carlyle. I would like to have it in walnut if it fits.

The rep mentioned the Walton, Benton and ... I can't remember the last one for lower vamps but I'm not sure about that. Especially since the Benton is deep intended for orthotics.

Anyway, what I'd ultimately like are two shoes - a formal black oxford (something like Park Ave but better fit) and something like the Carlyle in walnut.

Unfortunately there is no AE store in my area. There are mens stores that carry the brand so I plan on going to try some on but was wondering if anyone could help in my search.

Oh yeah, I bought the Park Aves because how cheap they were (on clearance). Is there any way I can modify these shoes to fit me better or is it a lost cause and I should just return them?

Thanks,

Sam

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Okay, just realized you are useing AE's dark brown polish. In that case, what you say makes sense. I find that AE's polishes seem to change the color temporarily whereas Saphir has more pigments and effects a more permanent color change.

20. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Ah, interesting. Maybe I should upgrade to some Saphir polish to save myself some time. Are you using the saphir cream shoe polish?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.