1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ayoungs

ayoungs Well-Known Member

I just recently got to see the Golden Brown Chromexel leather in the Wilbert. I got my partner a pair and he loves them, as do I.
    I'm thinking of a MTO pair in some style other than a Wilbert, with a butyl sole, anyone have any thoughts on a good style (and makeup) for that leather?

2. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

Depends on your wardrobe and color preferences. I don't wear darker grays, charcoal, or black enough to justify multiple pairs of black shoes, so I've actually sold off my black Neumoras, Fifth Aves, and soon will list my Vernons... and replace the three with just one pair of black Park Aves.

1 person likes this.
  3. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Great purchase! It looks like there might be a seconds mark on the sole, so perhaps they were a MTO that needed a remake.

4. SimplyLime

SimplyLime Well-Known Member

At first I thought it was some cheapo shoes luckily I clicked the link accidentally thus upon seeing the other pics had a dainite sole.

Thanks!

Yes, that might be another possibility too.

Btw, new cop!
    AE GRAYSONS! FOR 80$ again with shipping however its used. Anybody when was this model released? Or was this another MTO?

[​IMG]

Now, I just want to ask why these stuff are cheap on ebay? I mean the sellers are gonna ship it right? The sellers have a 99-100 % rating anyway but im just worried as this is my first time purchasing on ebay internationally.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  5. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

@SimplyLime , looks like they are the vintage grayson in linen

6. SimplyLime

SimplyLime Well-Known Member

Ohhh so it was a regular offering before? Well nonetheless, I needed something to replace my 9d bourbons as I couldnt walk with them for an hour without experiencing pain.

7. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

If you have pain in your Grayson then you might have a sizing issue or the last doesnt fit. Which part of your feet hurts?

Maybe one thing to ask the owner is if he knows if the shoes/s have already undergone recrafting. If yes that reduces the number of times you can have the shoe recrafted.

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Check out the "Allen Edmonds MTO" thread. There should be several examples of peoples' makeups in golden brown and natural CXL. Off the top of my head, I'm remembering @bl@ster had a Lexington and Leeds done up in that color.

9. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:Thats the first thing that happened when I first used an AE on my shell. I had been using a brush from Spain sold in a local shop. Which the handle is bigger. So maybe was used to that and then with the smaller AE one kept hitting the handle into the shoe. Ouch.

10. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I have all AE brushes and AE sized brushes. I can't get through a buffing session without hitting the handle on my shoe. Never fails.

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I did one for the Addison loafer in golden brown cxl.

[​IMG]

12. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ So tempted by that loafer. One of the best on here. I should try to nail down my size.

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

You have a great looking family there LeviMay!

14. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Really? I rare strike a shoe with the side of the brush and it is usually pretty ugly when I do. You may be brushing too hard. I used to push down hard with the brush, but don't anymore. I let the brush do the work for me and push softly.

-Mike

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Yea. It usually is ugly. I don't think I brush that hard. I have nothing to compare to, though, haha.

16. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Ha! How long do your brushes last you? Before they start flattening out?

-M

17. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Ummm...I only get one use out of them. Am I not doing it right? hahaha

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a technique video from @mdubs or @Cold Iron or @polojock615 or any of our other resident cordovan kings. I'm starting to slowly get some good results, but I'm sure it could be much better. I've been reading a lot, but I think the visual information would be easier for my brain to assimilate.

19. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

Thanks, gents!

I figured someone would mention Shell. I don't feel like I'm quite there yet. I'm thinking a plain-toe blucher is next up. I've really been liking the chunky double sole of my MacNeils, so a Leeds MTO in Bourbon, a la Bl@ster, might be in order.

20. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Levi,

My recommendation would to be get one pair of shell before getting two more pairs of calf, so you can test the waters before you repeat what I did which was to get 10-12 pairs of calf, discover shell, replace all calf shoes with their shell counterparts, and have to sell all your calfs off. Just a recommendation. Could save you money in the long run.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.