1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Impossible to say. Just as AE has a variety of last which fit differently from each other (which is the point), so does Alden. Some fit true to size and others don't. For example, Alden's Barrie last is almost a full size off for some folks compared to some other lasts they have.

2. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

To echo the other two, I've been 13D in all the AE lasts I've tried so far, but I'm a 12D in Alden's Barrie last, and as such, presumably a 12D in the Trubalance last as well. I haven't tried any others yet.

3. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I say it depends on the lasts in question from either that you might be comparing to.

AE 1 last 8.5D
    AE 5 last 8D
    AE 2 last 8E
    Alden Barrie, Trubalance and Van lasts 7.5D
    Alden Grant/plaza - I suspect and 8d to fit but have not tried yet

My Brannock size is like 8.15-8.25D and have a low vamp and narrow heel.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

There are a number of pictures on here of the Shelton and it is a great candidate for MTO which several people have done, Polojock has a stunning pair in exotics. A search will show quite a few on this thread. Mine are the old cobbler leather which hasn't been used for a number of years so my picture is more of a historical perspective instead of what you would purchase today. Great shoe and I would highly recommend them.
    [​IMG]

LOL, nervously looking over shoulder now... [​IMG]
    Narrow heel and no arch, 10D in AE 1 and 5 lasts and Alden Grant last, 9.5D in AE rough collection and Barrie last. I gave up on C&J and European sizing, figure I have an American made foot and am fine with that.

5. SimplyLime

SimplyLime Well-Known Member

Anyone knows what shoe is this by AE?

Just go this at ebay for 80$ with shipping.
    It also has a nice dainite sole

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, any tips to lessen heel slippage from my AE graysons?

6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Amok, maybe? AE didn't start offering red Dainite until a few months ago, so those were either a recent MTO or resoled by a third party. Either way, they're absolutely beautiful. Great kop.

7. SimplyLime

SimplyLime Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I was thinking too, Amok. I have searched from the AE website and even looked through their past web gems can't find any in dark green. Also in the info it says "new" so I guess it was probably a MTO shoe.

8. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Senior member

Church today. Vintage Ivanhoe Monk Strap and Happy Socks!

[​IMG]

9. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

10. iloveplaid

iloveplaid Well-Known Member

Hoping to get some help on some AE loafer sizing.

I am looking at these Kenwoods in a size 7.5 EEE or possibly a 8 EEE.

[​IMG]

I had already tried the Brooks Presidio in a 7.5 EEE and the length was great but they were a little cramped on the baby toe, thought not unbearable. The 8 EEE was a bit loose and my back heel was slipping out.

[​IMG]

My question is, would an 8 D/E give more room than a 7.5 EEE on the width?
    Also, is there any stretch in either of these shoes? I didn't want to wear them too long since I wanted to return them so I don't know if they'll stretch.

Thanks Everyone for your help.

The kenwoods are on for $99 on the AE factory seconds sale.

11. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I have two pairs: one in shell and one in shark. Unfortunately, neither are this specific color combo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

In regards to the Nordstrom sale that everybody is waiting on. Just found this information off reddit. As expected, the sale price for AE shoes offered by Nordstrom increased but it is still very good. If you speak to the manager, he/she might be able to help you order another color (for example: I was able to get the McAllister in Burgundy last year even though only black was on sale), so just call or email to enquire.

Strands - Walnut - $239.90
    Neumok - Blue & Acorn - $182.90
    Park Avenue - Black & Brown - $242.90
    LaSalle - Chili Burnished & Black - $214.90
    McAllister - Black - $242.90

The top-2 selling shoes are on sale (PA in Black and Strands in Walnut), so this is great time if you're on the fence about them. For reference, only the McAllister was on sale last season. When was the last time Nordy offered 3 top-selling shoes in one sale (McAllister, PA and Strands). With a quintessential 5-shoe rotation (semi- formal to business casual, one can argue favorably that a PA in black, McAllister in burgundy and Strand in Walnut belong in everyone's wardrobe.

1 person likes this.
  13. indigoroots

indigoroots Well-Known Member

Very helpful, thank you. I've been on the fence about getting some black shell parks vs the leather ones offered in this sale

14. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

$80 for a new MTO in that makeup is fantastic! My snuff Amok's are perfect as a casual summer shoe. I'm jealous of these in green - wish the amok was still available to MTO, I would get them made in every shade of suede available!

15. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Adventures in "Patination".......

I usually use Meltonian Saddle color shoe cream on my Allen Edmonds tan Voyagers. I was out of Meltonian Saddle, so I used Allen Edmonds Light Brown shoe cream. I am planning on ordering some brown shoelaces now........

[​IMG]

16. BillyMcGee

BillyMcGee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info MWS!

17. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Thanks to Sazon for restoring my desire to add chili to my lineup.

Chili Mcallister seconds, and next to Walnut Strand for reference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Sunny day, so I wanted to do a family pic:

[​IMG]

Back row, L to R: Burnished Brown MacNeil, Merlot MacNeil (MTO), Walnut McAllister, Brown CXL Bayfield, Brown Waxy Leather Long Branch
    Front Row, L to R: Merlot McAllister, Suede Big Sur, Walnut Lexington, Black Brooks Brothers Strand, Burnished Brown Strand (no toe medallion, MTO)

[​IMG]

19. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Very nice collection you have there. Time to cross over cordovan land though :)

20. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Would having a pair of black Rutledges in addition to a pair of black Park Aves be redundant? I already have a pair of the latter, but am considering pickup up a pair of the Rutledges for a less formal pair of black shoes. Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.