Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

+1 to this. Most Black Friday sales are no different from the rest of the year. Companies know that customers expect a sale, so they just slap "BLACK FRIDAY" on top of their usual ad' and watch people flood in. Rather than thinking logically and critically, people just assume that BF sales are some of the best prices of the year. My gf and her friends bought a shxt ton of Victoria's Secret on BF last year because of the "sale." She had been getting 25-30% off coupons all year long and never bothered to use them, but when BF came along, somehow, it was different.

The AE prices that I've seen are the same from the last sale. Why rush? It will be back for Christmas.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

2. EEWithoutStyle

EEWithoutStyle Senior member

I need them soon otherwise I have no problem waiting for a better deal. Was sized up at an AE store so I'm good to go.

3. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

This is true. I was bumed out that they were out of Stands in size 8D but it will become available.

I really like the McTavish for a casual shoes to wear with Jeans and Chino's but I read the reviews on the AE website and people are saying size down half a size than your normal? I wear a 8D in Fifth ave's and 7.5D in kenilworth.

Is this true? Does mctavish run a little longer than normal?

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

It runs a little bigger in general. Most order a half size down, with optionally one width up. I personally stayed with the same size as my Independence Collection calfskins (which are a tad narrow), but use a tongue pad and they're still a little big.

5. The Hunter

The Hunter Well-Known Member

I got my McTavish the same size as my 5ths and Strands they fit great. If you are on the small side for other 5 last shoes size down otherwise stay the same size

6. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

I just sent an email to AE asking about the Carson City and Eagle County MTOs, and I got this in response:

The Black Friday Offering on Carson City is MTO and the price is $197. These are returnable as well if they are unworn and there is a fit issue.

I then asked about the MTO fee being waived for Styleforum members, and I received this response:

These boots are not considered custom. It is Made to Order so the shoes are crafted based on the specific order. The custom fee is waived when a custom order is made for style forum members. This boot is not eligible for the custom program.

So I guess I'm a little confused about the difference between an MTO and a custom order.

7. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

I finished my custom shoe racks today. I actually built three sections, but you can only see two in the picture. With the three sections, I can store at least 18 pairs. I have about $50 in all three of them for materials, but probably 10 hours or so of work since I started with really rough lumber. They are very sturdy and smell awesome since I left them unfinished. Could theoretically be stacked to store two more rows for a total of 30 pairs in a 6'x2' space.
    [​IMG]

AE's across the top include Macneil's in Brown Casual, Aberdeen in Tan, and Hinsdale in Black (far right.)

More info on the project here:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/92767

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Made to order in the general sense means that the product is assembled when the customer purchases it. In AE's case, many if their shoes are not pre-made and shipped out to retail. Only their most popular lines are, like Strand, park ave, etc. when you purchase Eagle County, Strandmok, Pine River, etc, they make it fresh for you, like Subway. AE likely does not sell enough of these to keep large numbers in regular production. The "style forum MTO" deal is in fact the AE "custom shoe" program that you can try out on the AE web site, but with a far greater number if options, leathers, shoe models, etc, and with the $125 custom shoe surcharge waived.

9. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

So if you were to MTO the Eagle County for under $200...what sort of changes could you do?

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Alden has flat waxed laces for many of their boots. I have a pair and can put them on my Walnut Shell Dalton's tonight.

-Mike

12. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

I sent a email on Monday asking about ordering some MTO/Custom shoes and haven't heard back yet. What email address did those of you who have received answers since Monday use? I might have used a wrong email address (although the email has not come back).

13. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Turns out MTO basically just means they wait till you order it to actually make it, no customization involved.

That being said, The eagle county are carson city are lovely boots. The wedge soles are totally awful, though. Im not sure why companies like viberg are into them, but they have a wacky and unclean look to them, especially on a sleeker boot like eagle/carson.

I think AE probably ended up with a bunch of wedge soles and is trying to get rid of them.

14. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

In general, made-to-order only means that they don't have a stock of them sitting around. They make the item in the pre-set style when you order it. It's like ordering food from a place that starts cooking when you order but won't change the ingredients. Custom usually means that you have more freedom to adjust the style.

15. jch1

jch1 Senior member

So is "cayenne," as seen on the Carson City, a new color, or is that just really bourbon, chili, or walnut?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.