1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior Member

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Distinguished Member

Thanks for the heads up. $99 closeouts seems like a very sweet deal to me. I'll have to look into that and stay tuned.

3. clarksdb

clarksdb Distinguished Member

4. david 112358

david 112358 Active Member

I think the Aberdeen is about a half size bigger than the 5 last. Mine are the same size as some perfect fitting stands, and the are just too roomy. Should have exchanged then for a slightly smaller pair.

I really like the Aberdeen, it's just a bit to big.

5. clarksdb

clarksdb Distinguished Member

What color is better in amberdeen the brown or tan? With jeans and slacks. Thanks for the help David!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

6. bkotsko

bkotsko Distinguished Member

I generally use this method for my dress shoes. It is close to bar, except it tightens nicely and can be used on even or odd number of eyelets.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straighteuropeanlacing.htm

7. kkdkke

kkdkke New Member

I agree that the pics don't show the proper angle of the... 'fanning' happening on the right shoe's pinking; some of it fans up, other parts lay against the vamp.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

8. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior Member

I picked up a pair in bourbon for $199 in late August this year. That's the lowest I've ever seen them.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

9. fourspin

fourspin Well-Known Member

Thanks, halfnhalfnhalf! Looking good!

10. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior Member

I have them in tan and wear them all the time with jeans. As someone else mentioned, they seem a little roomier than my other AE's in the same size.

11. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

So my strands, AE McAllisters, and BB McAllisters all fit differently. I used the same size for all three, the strands fit perfect, the AE McAllisters are loose and the BB McAllisters are tight. What gives?!

I should note that the AE McAllisters were MTO, if that has anything to do with it. I know that the BB McAllisters have a different insole which Is certainly taking up more room and is creating tightness in the vamp.

How have you guys faired with these shoes?

Side note: my Neumoks and Cronmoks fit fine, same size as the shoes above.

Crazy 5 last!

12. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Distinguished Member

The more I look at the Carson City, the more I'm liking it, wedge and all, although I do agree the white sole is fugly (I would go with the dark brown leather and red sole) and I'm not crazy about the speed hooks. It doesn't come in a 9.5 E so I'd have to try 10.5 D instead. What I'd REALLY like is a pair of shell Daltons to go with my walnuts, but I could be waiting many months if not years for those to show up on the seconds list. In the meantime, as a "poor man's Dalton", the Carson City might scratch my itch just fine.

Here is my question: Generally speaking, on a shoe with a wedge sole, is it possible to replace the sole with something like the Dalton's butyl double leather (complete with actual heel)? Or is it once a wedge, always a wedge?

P.S. I've been lurking on this thread for a while and have finally decided to start posting. I humbly apologize in advance for any noob mistakes I make and would welcome constructive criticism. By way of context, I caught the AE bug only a few months ago but am already at 20+ pairs. The breadth and depth of knowledge in this thread of shoes in general and AEs in particular is amazing!

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

As you note, the BB AE shoes fit tighter due to the poron insole. Not sure why your Strands and McAllisters fit differently.

14. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

Do you have any experience with BB shoes? How did you size compared to the AE model?

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Distinguished Member

20+ pairs in a few months? Man, you have got the fever bad! Welcome to the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.