Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

Someone posted a flyer a couple pages back showing $99 for closeout seconds at the Shoebank (all AE outlets use the same inventory database, not just what's available at that store).

I called the Jeffersonville Outlet and they confirmed they are taking pre-orders for the Black Friday sale, however they are checking tomorrow to see if the $99 on closeout seconds will be part of the actual sale.

2. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I have an existential dilemma. Which PTB: Derby City or Stewart? Both are now $159, but Derby City should be 30% off at J'ville and Stewart will probably be $99 as a closeout second.

3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

234 less 30% ~$165. Saved $200 off the normal price. Fingers crossed they come in great condition, the SA told me they were still at the factory.

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Wow that's a good price!

5. 850csi

850csi Senior member

It's probably because the RL shoes, like the BBs, are already on sale. I'd imagine they'll let you use those coupons on any shoe that isn't a closeout/on sale. They typically won't let you stack sales.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  6. green garden

green garden Senior member

I like the natural welt and natural edge of the Stewart.

7. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Question: are Dalton seconds ever cheaper than $200?

8. taint it sweet

taint it sweet Senior member

Ok...this may be long.. I have a few newbie questions. I've been lurking for a while, and I'm considering my first pair of AE. I figured I'd post here for help since the search function on this forum sucks and I didn't want to start a new thread...

-What exactly are factory seconds?
    -If I've never ordered extra wide dress shoes before, should I disregard all of the extra options (EEE), etc and just stick with the regular?
    -Is there a particular "last" that results in a better shoe based on popular opinion here?
    -Is the quality far superior to that of Donald Pliner and/or John Varvatos?
    -Is the maintainence difficult?

Thanks in advance for any help.

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

10. taint it sweet

taint it sweet Senior member

Should I take cover?

11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Seconds are shoes deemed to have a flaw by the factory. They range from near flawless to major defects. If you have never ordered shoes from a particular last please try them on ,the knowledge of members here will be of great benefit and help you to approximate your size, however no two feet are a like often not even your own. A better shoe is a subjective term, but to answer your question each last will fit you differently in some cases the differences will be small in other cases you may need to size up or down to find the correct fit. The last of the shoe has nothing to do with the integrity of the shoe itself. The last defines the shape of the shoe after the leather/cordovan etc. has been pulled over the wooden/plastic form. I have no experience with either of the brands you have listed however AE is often considered to be of great quality and considered to best the best bang for your buck. Most AE shoes are good year welted and recraftable meaning the soles can be replaced and the uppers reconditioned among other repairs. This leads to increased longevity which serves to enhance the value as a well cared pair of AEs could easily last 20 years depending on your walking habits, rotation size, and dedication to maintaining them. Always use shoe trees and get fitted by a professional. Welcome to the thread and good luck on your journey.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  12. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

How can I use bar lacing on a shoe with three eyelets?

Also -- I just used Obenauf's Heavy Duty LC on my Bayfield Brown CXL boots. It was a great experience, as weird as that sounds. I slightly warmed the boots and the product then and applied a very thin coat by hand. Stuff smells delicious and the leather just looks healthier/richer. I was thinking about adding a second coat, as recommended in the LP's description, but I wasn't sure how long I had to wait. Tomorrow night should be safe.

13. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Answers in bold. Read the thread. Lots of good (and varying) advice here. This is just my opinion based on my experience.

Man, I'll do anything to avoid studying for my shelf...

14. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

15. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Not really. You will get tons of responses here and I will try to chime in in the morning as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.