Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Damn, I think I like that actually.

2. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Is this 20%-30% off the listed 2nds price? Will they accept phone orders? (What's the #?)

3. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

I would also like to know what losrockets asked, but after getting the tanger coupon I'm assuming it's in stores only, as the coupon clearly states : " Present this coupon in participating stores."

Still worth a shot to ask if its possible to get it if we order by phone/email.

4. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I recommend you check with them ahead of time. Last year they were accepting phone orders I believe.

(740) 948-9033

5. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Wish they did more colors than just black.

6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

When they ran the Tangier 20% coupon deal earlier this summer, they accepted phone orders at Jeffersonville. In fact, I mentioned the coupon and before I could even start to read off the code, Kristle was already knocking off the price.

What they might do on Friday early, I don't know. But they are in business to sell stuff.[​IMG]

7. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Alright fellas, I need your help.

I sort of want, sort of "need" boots. The "need" angle comes more from the fact that I lack a fall/winter sneaker alternative - my most casual pairs of shoes that isn't a sneaker is my walnut Strands.

That said, I'm in work clothes (think shirt + tie + slacks) 5 days a week. I don't head out that much on weekends. So while I'd love a pair of boots, I'm not sure I can justify spending anything significant on a pair I can't wear to work.

Money is tight. I want to spend as little as possible. But, having spent the better part of a month assessing my options, I've determined anything under $100 is categorically a waste of money; and if I'm going to spend $100+, I think AE seconds are my best bet.

I went to an outlet today. I'm normally a 13C on the 5 last. 13B Daltons were too tight, 13Ds were way too lose - but they felt fine with orthotics. The Eagle County fit perfectly in 13D. Those were the only two boots I got to try on.

I know the Dalton is obviously the most versatile choice, but it doesn't look like those are going to get to $200 again in the near future. I love the Eagle County (despite the wedge sole) and it's probably the most boot for the money on the market right now, but that definitely can't be worn to work. I suppose the Long Branch in waxy brown might be somewhat versatile? Does anyone think Cronmoks can be worn with grey trousers + tie + blazer? Do I go with Eagle Countys now and save up for Daltons later on?

8. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

9. 850csi

850csi Senior member

I've been scouring ebay without much success lately. I'd probably be all over the McAdams if they came in bourbon or some other medium to chocolate brown. The black just kills it for me completely.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

10. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

Sounds like with your current budget you're better off waiting until next year for a better deal on the Dalton.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

11. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Well I don't like the idea of wearing the Cronmok w/ slacks and a shirt/tie - especially not on the regular. If money's tight, spending now when you aren't getting what you really want won't make things any more affordable down the road. That being said if you're willing to consider the Eagle County why not get the Carson City: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6023_1_40000000001_-1 ? It's a lot like the Dalton but with that Eagle County sole. Except when you wear the heck out of the Carson City sole you can probably get it recrafted with a regular leather or Dainite sole - and then you're out $80-100 for the recraft and poof, you've got pseudo-Dalton's! You'd save money compared to spending another $200-350 on a new pair of Daltons in addition to the Eagle County's you would have bought had you not gone this route.

12. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Dr Scholls Oren. That's right, Dr Scholls. I bought this boot off of Amazon and it is super-comfortable and looks cool too. I'm not looking for compliments, but I get more comments on these than any of my AEs, including shell Daltons. Price is about $100 or less. I'm very happy with them for casual weekend boots and I can beat the hell out of them and I really don't care.

13. 850csi

850csi Senior member

That's what I'm starting to think, too.

Is the general consensus that even the darker brown Cronmok is too casual to wear with, say, light grey slacks?

FWIW, I think I actually like the upper on the Eagle County more than any other AE boot. It has probably the most modern shape and is the most durable. But this will definitely be something I keep in mind.

This is actually a great suggestion on its face; I just really dislike the bulbous shape of the Orens, especially since I have big feet. IIRC they also have a lug sole, so they're not really any dressier than the Long Branch would be.

(I really appreciate the input)

EDIT: It looks like much of this query might have been pointless. They have very little as far as boots in 13C/D. No Long Branches, Daltons are $300. My choices are basically Navy Cronmoks ($160) and Eagle County in either color ($130). Since neither of them is on sale or closeout, I think I might try to see if they'll take a coupon on the Eagle County. It doesn't really meet my "wear-to-work" desire (though it might well once the time comes to get it resoled), but I don't think you can argue with AE boots at that price.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

14. denly11

denly11 Member

15. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

I bought two pairs of shoes from Jeffersonville using that Tanger 20% off coupon this summer. Was supposed to be for "one item only", but Kristle let it cover both pairs and I don't think she even asked for the code. All over the phone too.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.