Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I was just making an observation of the Schnautals that I've seen at the Rack. I couldn't tell if yours had the mark or not.

Personally, I love seconds. (Thank you Shoebank!). It's one of the ways I've been able to afford the # of AE shoes in my arsenal. Enjoy your shoes...I guess.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Don't worry about it. The people from the thrifting thread have been cranky lately.

3. GeneralW

GeneralW Well-Known Member

Quick question, just picked up some Chili Delrays from the sale - I bought 12Ds, the same size I wear on the 5 last. There isn't any vertical heel slip but there's some wiggle room left to right speaking near the back of the shoe, is there anything I can do to mitigate this?

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

No, only the BB version is on sale at the BB price. You don't see them because they're not available in your size. You would see something like "Brooks Mcallister Burgundy" on the list.

5. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

BAHAHAHHAHAHA... so excited for the sequel! Saw a preview in the theaters with my wife and she about died laughing.

6. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Play nice, folks...or not. [​IMG]

Shoebank related question: I have no shell in my inventory, or burgundy. Do I roll the dice on burgundy shell Cambridge 2nds @ $449 (not on sale), or calf 5th Ave 2nds @ $169 (have to double check colors available - but merlot/walnut are preferred)? The recent shell posts have me thinking hard...but at almost 3x the cost, the 5th Aves seem like a better deal - and who doesn't love a good deal?

As an aside, any thoughts on the Macadam boot? Why so cheap at retail ($295)? What should one expect from an 'independence rubber tap' sole with 'regular' heel?

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Reading back about size recommendations for the Saunders and having trouble deciding who to believe. Some believe it's on the 2 last, J'ville said it's similar to the 4-234 (though maybe they were confused with the Sanderson?), and Charleston said it's the 1 last. It seems most find it to be a bit narrow.

I wear an 8.5D on the 5-65 and 9D on the 1-511, though both fit a tad on the narrow side, so I may actually be an E width. Sounds like I should get a 9D or possibly up to 9E?

Confusingly, the search function seems to think no one has mentioned the Saunders until yesterday, which I know isn't right, so I had to use Google.

8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

STUPID PLEBS! GO EMPTY MY CHAMBERPOT

There. Now he has a real reason to cite snobbery.

9. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

I've got the same exact question. Apparently someone here said the leather quality isn't as good as the other AE calfskin but I'd love some more feedback.

10. BWV988

BWV988 Senior member

I briefly had a pair. I wear 10.5D on several pairs of 1 last shoes (Cascade, Dalton, Rapid City), and based on the recommendations in the search results I read, I got the Saunders in 10E. Both the width and length were good, but the widest part of the sole where the bending happens didn't align with the balls of my feet.

I also have a pair of Sandersons, which I've read are on the same last as the Saunders. They are 10.5D and fit a bit narrower than my 1 last 10.5Ds. Based on this and what you've mentioned above, I'd say a 9E could work for you.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  11. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

you mean like the Alden thread?

Call me crazy, but this is pretty much the most "normal" thread on this forum.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Haha, I'm no snob. I post on their as well since I thrift to build my wardrobe and wanted to see how to do it right. People were just trouncing on the newbs there, including on yours truly. It's funny that I get solid advice from guys on the CW WAYWRN thread than on the thrift store. I wouldn't have expected it.

13. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

At $449, I would save up and spend a bit more on MTO Shell order. If you're going to spend that much, might as well get what you want and not have to worry about defects.

I've gotten a few 2nds in calf, these are my everyday shoes. At below $175 you can't complain about the minor imperfections.

14. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Both good points, and taken... Now on to available colors!

15. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Yeah, an AE dress boot, not a 2nd, under $200 seems too good to be true... It's why i'm inquiring as to whether or not anyone has had the pleasure - or displeasure - of meeting them up close. With a Dalton and Long Branch in the fold, I'm not sweating it. Looks fancy, though...And no shady pull tab on the back!!!!!

Oh...BTW...the bourbon strands:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...Pinking is 'perfectly imperfect' on this pair. The others were just fugly. Just having some fun with extra laces i picked up! Makes 'em look more casual. Opinions?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.