1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

The tent sale prices are already showing on shoebank.com

2. CrimmyS

CrimmyS Well-Known Member

Yes you're right. I think they were about50-60$ more expensive the other day.

Black Boardroom 9EEE (JAB)
    Merlot McAllister 9.5EEE (Shoebank)
    Bourbon Strand 9.5EEE (shoebank)

The boardroom would be ideal with suit, and the McAllister/Strand would be fine with a suit, sport coat, no coat, and jeans right? Since they're all Oxfords though the broguing makes the last two a good choice for dressing up and down.

Sorry if I'm on repeat a little I'm just making sure I understand everything before I purchase.

3. submatrix

submatrix Well-Known Member

Here are my Bourbon Calf Lexingtons, out on their first wear:

[​IMG]

4. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

If you're not getting any blisters and your shoes are not displaying any odd creases or gapping issues (all indicative of sizing issues), then you've got the correct size for the lasts that you have.

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

My AE's run from 12eee 12.5 e & eee to 13 D, E, & EE including lasts that are the same yet shoes fit diff. My left foot is slightly wider than my right...For example my STrand Brogue Suede in 12 eee fits like a dream yet my Neumok Suede(unlined) in 12eee is slightly tight in the toes and has a touch of heal room... Now these two are on the same last yet fit very different especially the left shoe being tighter than the right when my right foot is the wider one. I have just come to the conclusion that every pair needs to be judged on its own.

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Looking to get a Burgundy/Merlot color...I have no matching requirements for clothes - I do not wear suits..any suggestions? besides all three :)

Burgundy Hancock calf
    Merlot McCalister calf
    Burgundy Leeds Cordovan

7. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

dude if cordovan is going away and its only $399 I think you have your mother fuckin answer

8. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Great shoes and you may be the first to rock that model sans sox.

Good look. I don't keep up with fashion mags etc, but I've never seen beltless pants that don't require suspenders.

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Go for Leeds, unless price is an issue

1 person likes this.
  10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Alright sold...though the whole Cordovan going away reminds me of Bordeaux having a vintage of the century every third year.

1 person likes this.
  11. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Have you considered the Cambridge? My pair was delivered about a month ago and I'm still smitten.

[​IMG]

Finally picked up a matching belt as well.

[​IMG]

Good luck whatever the choice.

12. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

The Leeds is your most versatile choice regardless of the scarcity of cordovan or not. The Mcallister being a balmoral would be less useful for you since you don't wear suits. The Hancock isn't very handsome in my opinion and I think suffers from some proportion issues. I've never heard of a man regretting a pair of cordovan Leeds on this forum.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Reading a page long justification for putting together a fit makes my head hurt.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I do like the Cambridge a whole lot...the ones I am considering are seconds at this point and the cambridge was not in my size. Getting an inspection done of the Leeds so will see what happens and that is the choice at the moment...Thanks for all the suggestions.

15. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Agreed, you cannot go wrong with Leeds and I have been coveting a pair in shell myself. :cool:

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I think the Cambridge will be a little formal for your current needs, to be honest.

17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I agree. I have them and I wish I went for a blucher. I may wear them once a year. I am rarely in suits and that is the only time I wear bals.

18. CrimmyS

CrimmyS Well-Known Member

Is there a reason you guys wouldn't really want to wear a blucher with a suit? Some searching shows that a lot of people do it even though they know it's "against the rules".

With that price drop on the cordovan I'm tempted to get a pair myself. I was thinking of waiting a year or two before I thought about it because of the price but...

MacNiels or Leeds? Given that I would probably wear them with my (navy) suit.

Also what's the return policy with JAB and ShoeFact? Since I'll have to have the shoes sent to my friend then shipped internationally for me. I'm worried about a bad fit.
    Now I'm thinking

Board Room (JAB)
    MacNiel or Leeds Cordovan (Shoebank) 9EEE (These will be roomier than a balmorla right)

And then maybe Strands in Bourbon.

Does that seem decent for 2 (or 3) pairs to start off with someone who's going to try and rotate between a suit, sport coat, and jeans?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Just wanted to do a little follow up as a while back I posted about sending some AE Heritage Golf shoes walnut/bone to B Nelson for a resole- anyway these shoes must have been only worn once or for practice as I bought them on the Bay for I think under $80. Can only assume who ever owned them had them as a gift. They were firsts and all the damage on the sole is from me prying off the golf cleats- There literally was not a mark on the Butyl sole when they arrived - I wear non cleated golf shoes so I did not have a wrench.

Anyway very happy with the job B Nelson did and for a finish price under $210(shoes + New Soles) I couldn't be happier-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Given the cushioned sole I like these better than my Walnut/Bone Broadstreets which I can now sell

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    2 people like this.
  20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I will wear a blucher with a suit. I just won't wear a bal without a suit. Probably doesn't make sense, but that's just me.

Leeds over MacNeil for ultimate versatility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.