Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I sure can, will post some pics in the next few days when I get around to applying the LP

2. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Thanks for the pic, do you ever roll them higher to show more boot?

Ive seen some of those pics, but Im trying to get a good idea for how to cuff/wear jeans and show the boot without them being super tight like with those walnut daltons in that picture.

Has anyone worn their pants tucked into their daltons? Im starting to think that wouldnt work because they are too tight around the ankle...

3. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I'm not too worried either, but just thought it interesting. I don't have creases on the toe so I think I'll be okay.
    [​IMG]
    I don't think it is the lining either. I was told by Allison that the toebox used for shell and calf are the same, which makes me more curious. My shell Daltons are actually pretty stiff on the toebox, but the tip of the wingtip has a crease, which I think is common on the Dalton. It's pretty slight.

I'm liking the McAllisters and they fit well!

4. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

5. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Leather soles will hold up much better than you might give them credit in snow and wet. They are actually tanned specifically to be durable, and people have been wearing them in all sorts of conditions forever. If you don't believe that, go take a look at the shit (some) people put their W1K's and OSB Trench Boots through. They handle it just fine. That said, calfskin Daltons won't be great in snow/rain because calfskin isn't great in it. But shell Daltons will hold up just fine, and don't need any treatment unless you want them to be waterproof. The waterproofing isn't to protect the shell as much as it protects your feet from getting wet. Otherwise, shell will dry just fine, and buff up nicely even without waterproofing.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I've worn plenty of both - when it comes to grip on ice and snow, synthetics soles rule. There's a reason almost every dedicated winter boot comes on a synthetic sole.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

My personal beef isn't about the durability of leather soles in the rain. It's about epic wipeouts on smooth concrete or down steps to the subway platform.

I wore my butyl leather soles mctavish to London recently and (imagine that) it was rainy for most of the trip. I was slipping and sliding all over the sidewalks and cobblestone streets of Kings Cross.

Big mistake.

8. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I don't know how they did it doc....I honestly don't know. ha ha It was probably before smooth floors went mainstream.

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Do they have little micro-lines and creases. If they do they are calf, if they have larger creases then they are shell. It's really hard to tell in the lighting of the picture.

-Mike

10. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I was about to say, it was probably when people people were walking on dirt paths and cobblestones [​IMG]

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I don't roll them up higher, but that is due to that not being my personal style. I am sure it looks fine, but its just not for me.

12. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

if you can grab a daytime pic of the front of the shoe, up close, it should be fairly easy to establish the type of leather

13. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

By far my most favorite color Daltons. How did you size these compared to the Strand or McAllister?

14. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

15. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I believe there's an antiquated Texas law that makes it illegal to tuck your pants into your boots unless you own at least ten head of cattle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.