Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

How old are your Daltons? AE had a problem about a couple of years ago where the tabs were breaking/ripping right and left. They even had a blurb on their site that the tab had been reinforced.

2. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I didn't really consider it. I kinda like the look, and I wanted the right side to match the left, so I decided to have them just replace it. In hindsight, telling them to remove both would've been a fine idea.

Good question. They're factory seconds that I picked up during the $300 shell sale (a few weeks after, actually, but I was lucky they honored it). The tab certainly didn't seem reinforced with anything, as you should be able to see from the pictures. Now I kinda wish I would've gotten them to reinforce both tabs so I could actually use them, but I'm honestly just happy they're going to repair the damage. I just now know to never pull on those things.

3. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I also recommend this as a starting point.

4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Sir, they are Cappuccino Shell with a Chili Welt and Light Brown Transparent Edging.

-Mike

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Mine is like this as well. But the leather is so much thicker and sturdier than calf, so I'm not worried about the toe box maintaining shape... [​IMG]

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I stayed the same size in the 5 vs the 1 but i could i have gone down .5 and likely gotten away with it.

7. ec123456

ec123456 Active Member

What is the lowest that Dalton seconds go?

8. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

ScottyBoy920, I have a Strand (5 last) in 11E and a Dalton (1 last) in 11E; a Long Branch (1 last) in 11E. The Strand feels great in E; the Dalton has - as the 'all about lasts' page on AE website states - slightly more width from arch forward to toe; the Long Branch is almost too wide. Lengths are good on all. I wasnt sure if it was the difference between open and closed laces, or boot vs. shoe construction. I'm normally a 11.5D (or M) in most other shoes. Measured as a 12E on the 1 last in store...but looked (and felt) like clown shoes. Damn you, super narrow 5 last. I was having fit issues at the top of my foot and small toe with the D width on 5 last. Hope that helps.

9. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I got bourbon Dalton seconds for $199 back in July/August. That's the lowest I've seen them.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Didn't people wear boots in the snow before rubber was invented without a hitch?

11. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

When you come to a final decision, I'd appreciate your thoughts on why you chose the size you did. If I feel one of the slippers you're sending back would work for me, I'd love to purchase them from you directly and send mine back to AE. My feet are a half size shorter than yours. I'm thinking the 9D or 9EEE would work best for me considering the 8.5D has my toes almost touching the front of the shoe.

12. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Just arrived at my office!

Picked these factory seconds up for $129, planning on treating them with Heavy Duty LP and using them for my winter boots this year. I don't see much talk about the Eagle County but in person this is a fantastic boot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

People also rode horses for cross-country travel, but these days we have more efficient solutions.

I certainly don't prefer to wear leather soles in the rain or snow. Feels all too precarious

14. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

For a while, I thought leather soles were fine for winter, and I still wear them, but I try to only wear them on dry winter days.

What changed my mind?

I was walking into the Cheesecake Factory (I'm classy like that) from the parking lot, in the pouring rain, and I came unreasonably close to busting my tail bone on the tile floor.

15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Those look splendid! I'm right now having Bayfields made up in that tan dublin leather and was wondering how they'd look after an application of HDLP. Can I trouble you to post some after pictures?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.