• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just heard back from the recrafting/warranty department and they will be fixing the tab for me. I feel much better, though still feel guilty for the temporary damage to such a nice pair of footwear. ;)

How old are your Daltons? AE had a problem about a couple of years ago where the tabs were breaking/ripping right and left. They even had a blurb on their site that the tab had been reinforced.

kentyman

Reaction score
That's great to hear.

I don't know if it came up in the discussion, but did you consider asking them to not put a tab at all, to prevent it from happening again?

I didn't really consider it. I kinda like the look, and I wanted the right side to match the left, so I decided to have them just replace it. In hindsight, telling them to remove both would've been a fine idea.

How old are your Daltons? AE had a problem about a couple of years ago where the tabs were breaking/ripping right and left. They even had a blurb on their site that the tab had been reinforced.

Good question. They're factory seconds that I picked up during the $300 shell sale (a few weeks after, actually, but I was lucky they honored it). The tab certainly didn't seem reinforced with anything, as you should be able to see from the pictures. Now I kinda wish I would've gotten them to reinforce both tabs so I could actually use them, but I'm honestly just happy they're going to repair the damage. I just now know to never pull on those things.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gorgeous. I was wondering if the toe of your shoes is a little more squishy that your calf or non independence shells. I asked this question regarding my MTO strands a few pages back, but no responses. The toe seems pretty flexible which seems odd to me and I thought maybe it has to do with the lining. Thanks!
Mine is like this as well. But the leather is so much thicker and sturdier than calf, so I'm not worried about the toe box maintaining shape...

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. I wear an 8.5D in non-Rough 5-65 shoes (though an 8.5E likely would fit well). I went with 9D for the Dalton and I think it feels good. It's possible an 8.5E would work well for the Dalton, but I haven't tried one. I'm surprised sizing down with the Dalton worked for you, but I'll let others confirm or deny.

I stayed the same size in the 5 vs the 1 but i could i have gone down .5 and likely gotten away with it.

ec123456

Reaction score
What is the lowest that Dalton seconds go?

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Can I pick your brain? On the five last I measure 11.5D. I just tried on the Dalton's and think the 11E fits best, anyone size similarly between the two lasts?

ScottyBoy920, I have a Strand (5 last) in 11E and a Dalton (1 last) in 11E; a Long Branch (1 last) in 11E. The Strand feels great in E; the Dalton has - as the 'all about lasts' page on AE website states - slightly more width from arch forward to toe; the Long Branch is almost too wide. Lengths are good on all. I wasnt sure if it was the difference between open and closed laces, or boot vs. shoe construction. I'm normally a 11.5D (or M) in most other shoes. Measured as a 12E on the 1 last in store...but looked (and felt) like clown shoes. Damn you, super narrow 5 last. I was having fit issues at the top of my foot and small toe with the D width on 5 last. Hope that helps.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
In response to the poster who wants to wear Daltons in the snow, I would also love to do the same, but what stops me is the fact that they have leather soles. First of all, you will destroy the sole very quickly. Second, once you get inside, you will slip and slide all over the place. I always go with a rubber sole in the rain and snow here in NJ. Thankfully, we don;t get a ton of snow.

Didn't people wear boots in the snow before rubber was invented without a hitch?

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Yeah, these are tough to size. I believe the D widths won't work for anyone with regular width feet. However, the EEE widths all have some serious heel slippage, though I think that's acceptable in a slipper. The 8.5EEE fit okay, but they're a tad tight, possibly from overly thick sheerling. The 9EEE is arguably a better fit for me, though this particular pair has more sheerling in the right vs. the left which makes the fit a bit off, and the stitching/finishing is a little sloppy. I'm trying to decide between the 8.5EEE and the 9EEE but I'm just not sure yet.

When you come to a final decision, I'd appreciate your thoughts on why you chose the size you did. If I feel one of the slippers you're sending back would work for me, I'd love to purchase them from you directly and send mine back to AE. My feet are a half size shorter than yours. I'm thinking the 9D or 9EEE would work best for me considering the 8.5D has my toes almost touching the front of the shoe.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Didn't people wear boots in the snow before rubber was invented without a hitch?

People also rode horses for cross-country travel, but these days we have more efficient solutions.

I certainly don't prefer to wear leather soles in the rain or snow. Feels all too precarious

TheSizzle

Reaction score
People also rode horses for cross-country travel, but these days we have more efficient solutions.

I certainly don't prefer to wear leather soles in the rain or snow. Feels all too precarious

For a while, I thought leather soles were fine for winter, and I still wear them, but I try to only wear them on dry winter days.

What changed my mind?

I was walking into the Cheesecake Factory (I'm classy like that) from the parking lot, in the pouring rain, and I came unreasonably close to busting my tail bone on the tile floor.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just arrived at my office! Picked these factory seconds up for $129, planning on treating them with Heavy Duty LP and using them for my winter boots this year. I don't see much talk about the Eagle County but in person this is a fantastic boot.
Those look splendid! I'm right now having Bayfields made up in that tan dublin leather and was wondering how they'd look after an application of HDLP. Can I trouble you to post some after pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads