1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

So I had an issue with AE recrafting. Sent my Dundees in for warranty (worn less than 10 times) for welt stitching coming off. The return shoes were in a normal box but put in a much larger box with no paper or padding. So obviously the shoe box came off and bounced around off each other the whole ride here. Lots of scuffs. A few impact creases. And a dark black mark across the toe. I tried to capture it when I opened it so I could send them to the store right away. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine were in great shape when they left other than the welt stitching. Just a bummer and let down after all the brushing to keep them looking good. Will take them in soon to see what they think and can do about them. Just wondering if anyone has had some shoddy packing coming out of WI recently.

2. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Csmitty,
    I think that can be filled in with a deer bone or shoe polish, maybe even a metal spoon. I can scuff up my shells like that after a couple of wearings.

1 person likes this.
  3. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Forgot the packing shot. Literally how I opened the box, other than the top was off and the shoes were every which way.

[​IMG]

This is what I'm most worried about.
    [​IMG]

I guess just the lack of care is what bugs me most. If they're all going to come back this way when I send them in I might find other alternatives.

Just had a bad run of getting things taken care of correctly lately.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  4. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

I'm sure it can be, a lot of could probably be brushed out, but the issue is I shouldn't have to. Unless thats just how it is. Its the first time i've dealt with AE recrafting.

I guess I should have looked at the recraft email photos more closely.

Before,
    [​IMG]

And honestly, those scuffs at the bottom above the welt weren't there. So that was in transit from the store.

After
    [​IMG]

Can definitely see the horizontal line parallel with the lower eyelet.

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

That is ridiculous...plain and simple. I would fire a shipper that worked for me if they did that. Simply the most basic function and I do not care how automated their procedure is for shipping that box. It was handled by humans who would have felt that banging around before shipping, even if an honest mistake was made and no packing material put in - still it had to be sealed and labelled and would have bounced around during that whole process.

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I"m going to be in Florida on June 30th, how long does shipping typically take in the USA? I'm from Toronto but would have them shipped to me while I"m visiting family

Edit I know they ship fed ex but I once bought shoes and Fed ex raped me with duty. Is there duty charged from Fed ex when it's shipped in the US?

7. zhanghagn0529

zhanghagn0529 Well-Known Member

I think it is about 4 working days. Why is there duty within the same country? But there is tax. Hope you won't get busted by customs at the airport.

8. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks. I'll try to MTO the walden in CXL which I believe stretches more than calf. Plan on wearing them sockless. Since I'm an 8.5D brannock and 8E on the 5 last maybe 8.5E walden will fit snug and then stretch to my size?

Anybody else has experience with Walden sizing?

9. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

umm... is it just me, or does the "before" pic look better than the "after" [​IMG]

10. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Other than the sole starting to separate from the midsole, yea, they do. Replied to the recrafting email I got (who knows where it goes) expressing my disappointment in the process. So will see what happens with it. Sucks as I was all excited to wear them today. But have to treat them like a crime scene and preserve the evidence. The new soles however look terrific :/....

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

They refinished and treated the shoes. You'll have to buff again to get the crap off them.

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

The Wilberts are perfect for a rainy Friday.
    [​IMG]

Chris

13. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Polish sure, which it doesn't seem they did much to the uppers honestly in terms of refinishing. If there was a haze I needed to buff off I wouldn't have an issue with that. The multitude of scuffing, some deepish. and dents is the main issue. This was a warranty job. Which I was told it was the standard package. If this is the standard work for $125 recraft. I would much rather go local or send to a reputable cobbler in my own packaging so I know at least half the trip they got there safely.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Just making sure. I bought some Lasalle's from nordstorm last time I was in Florida and no issues with customs.

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

@csmitty I had something similar happen to me as well. My local store sent my Malverns for recrafting after a heel fell off without any significant wear on the shoes. What I got back were shoes with a deep scratch in one toe. That caused me to look at AE's before and after pictures, where I noticed the scratch in the before picture. This tells me the store did a crappy job of packing the shoes and sending them to AE. I have a pair of Strands that I will recraft soon and can guarantee that I will be the one to pack them and ship them to AE. I'll also take very thorough pictures before closing the box to deal with any issues like this in the future.

16. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

Happy Friday gents. Beautiful day in the south, so I pulled out the spectators. Love this time of the year!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Thanks for the insight on your experience. Was there any resolution from the store that sent them? I think mine is a combination of both store, recrafting dept., then the shoddy packing. Next time I will def. take my own before pictures as well. I got a reply from recrafting this morning requesting that they be sent back for their evaluation. They sent me a label to send it, or I could drop them by my local store. I would like to at least take them by the store to have them take a look since i've already told them about it. However I will still pack them if I still need to send them. I usually keep the AE boxes that fit them perfectly for shipping. Most likely will include bags and trees. The retail store said I might not get them back if I sent them with them the first time. If I had to sacrifice some $10 JAB trees and cheap shoe bags to avoid this I would have. I do have confidence AE will resolve the issue and have been quick to respond. Just thought this would be good info for the community.

18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

19. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  20. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Understandable, and I might have taken the same approach on a pair of Malverns. But on some Dundee's that I spent much time brushing. I'm going to elevate the concerns. As an aside I've just had a lot of quality issues lately in other aspects. I had to have a customized base ball jersey redone 3 times before I, and others, deemed it wearable (still not 100%). And from the supposed place they send the players jerseys to. Was also done through the team store. Then had to dive into my car for an oil line that was leaking 3 times before finally getting a good part. So its been frustrating to say the least. Hoping this doesn't take 3 rounds as well and I can have something that was in as dropped off condition and not something that is deemed passable and I finally give up on them getting it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.