1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Trader George, You have acquired a rather nice collection. I regret to inform you that I did the exact same thing that you did with getting a load of Calf Skin AE's, then I discovered this thing called Shell Cordovan, reluctantly got a pair, thinking "$415 for shoes!!! That is insane!" My wife thought it was also and made a point of asking all her male co-workers if they would pay $500 for shoes. Well within a few months I had sold most of my Calfs and replaced them with Shells. :) Very nice collection, it appears that a like me, you are a big time Balmoral fan. I learned to appreciate the Blucher side of the world, but still prefer the cleanliness of a proper Balmoral to that of the Blucher. -Mike P.S. About 75% of her co-workers said they would pay that much if they loved the shoes and thought they would last significantly longer than their standard shoe.

2. mdubs

E Walnut Shell Patina

I found my original pictures of my Walnut Shell Strands and I thought this community might appreciate how my Walnut Shell Strands have aged.

Here is from Day 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is from their last wearing, about 2 years and 40 wearings later:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really love these shoes.

-Mike

3 people like this.
  3. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Hey guys, I'm not even sure if this outfit as a whole works, but I'll describe what I was thinking.

The casual black shoe. I have described it's difficulty before. I think it's best use is in monochrome type outfits. Here is an almost monochrome attempt at a casual black shoe. Black Mora 2.0.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, black casual shoes (bluchers, monks, loafers etc.) are notoriously difficult. The reason this is the case is because black is inherently a formal color. Making a casual shoe out of black leather doesn't make the shoe more casual, it simply makes it more of a contradiction. That can be dealt with, but you are fighting to opposing forces. On the one hand your outfit will have to seem sort of "city" or fairly clean and sharp to match the inherent formality of black. On the other hand you are going to want to pair it with casual items to match the informality of the shoe's styling.

The simplest way to accomplish the "city" or "clean" portion is through color. Namely, a lack of color. Monochrome outfits always feel very sharp and clean because there is little to distract the eye. The palette all belongs together. First off, your pants almost always need to be charcoal. Light gray will usually contrast too much with the shoes and create an imbalance. Your jacket is therefore going to need to be light gray. it contrast well with your trousers and maintains the monochrome status you are aiming for. Shirt must be white. Tie is ideally going to be black or dark gray as well. You need something dark up top to balance out the fact that your top block thus far is pretty light colored. Pocket square should contrast well with your jacket, either white or something in the dark gray category will usually accomplish this.

Keeping the outfit casual is going to require very specific choices to balance out your relatively austere palette. As for my choices: monks are dressier than loafers but more casual than bals so I need items that are similarly "semi-casual". Pants are wool, though very lightweight and springy. Shirt is white, but it is an oxford cloth with a button down collar which is a bit more casual. Tie is black, but it is an unlined knit with a square bottom and a slightly transparent weave. Jacket is a very clean and tailored style in a fairly "city" fabric, though it has a more casual checked pattern.

1 person likes this.
  4. Trader George

Trader George Senior member

Thank you, and to answer your question, I really just prefer balmorals over blutchers. However, I wouldn't say I dislike bluchers. I've never really been a boot type of guy, although if I could get my hands on a pair of Fifth Streets, that would be a totally different story. Regarding monks, I really thought they'd work for me, but when I finally tried on a pair at an AE store, I really couldn't see myself wearing them, so I left it at that. And loafers, I always preferred lace-ups over loafers, although that pair of Sapienzas is actually one of my favorites from my entire collection.
    Lol, I'll admit I'm a sucker for wingtips [​IMG] and yes, it's just something about AE that has me coming back and back. Terrific customer service, beautiful designs, excellent recrafting, you name it! AE definitely has my loyalty.
    I feel I'm reliving your past! I really would like to add more shells to my collection. I was told they are very addicting, and it appears I was informed correctly. I've got a pair of Cambridges coming later in the week, but I don't think that and my shell strands will cut it. I'm looking forward to sharing my celebration of it's arrival, though, with you guys here on the forum.

5. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Great combinations...compliments.

6. zhanghagn0529

zhanghagn0529 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying Allen Edmonds Conditioner Cleaner. But I read some reviews on their website that it may change the color of shoes. Is it true? Do you guys usually use it?

Thank you.

7. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I have not used that conditioner in particular, but some conditioners will either temporarily or sometimes permanently darken the leather. They usually go back to normal after allowing the conditioner to dry.

8. luv2breformed

I use conditioner cleaner quite a bit. It's my go-to product when I think any of my calf shoes need some quick hydration. Have not noticed any discoloration. YMMV.

9. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I like everything about this outfit except for the tie. Personally, I think it's a bit warm now for knit ties, and I think something like a very deep navy or violet would work better here. Nonetheless, I'm a fan of the monotone color scheme you've got going!

10. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Those are some angry fists.

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Looks great, Mike. Like the pairing with the blue trousers.

12. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Caution! Threadjack!

You feel that knit ties are seasonal to fall/winter? Even something with such an open knit like that? Just curious. I just got a couple and figuring out the best ways to wear them.

13. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

First day out with the shell leeds.

I should have bought these a long time ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

To circle back: I'm planning on wearing black shell Leeds, a black linen sport jacket (that was a dog of a purchase but it comes in handy on rare occasion), and a 2" black knit tie to a wedding rehearsal and dinner on Friday evening. It's on the shore, but after dark I think it'll do the trick... probably with medium gray linen trousers.

That's a fantastic jacket, l2br!

15. luv2breformed

Thanks!

Little known menswear rule #9: "At the end of your jacket sleeve, show a bit of cuff. At the end of your cuff, show a clenched fist ready to strike." [​IMG]

This is false. Silk knits (like the one I am wearing here) are spring/summer ties. Wool and Cashmere knits are fall/winter ties. Knits are some of the most established ties in terms of their seasonality. Both types of ties are on the casual end of the spectrum.
    Thanks! It's one of my favorites. As for your outfit, getting the proper contrast between the shoes and pants, and jacket and pants may be tricky, but if you can pull it off I can see that outfit working well for an evening occasion near the sea. [​IMG]

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

OK. That makes sense. Knit ties are perfect for me and my aesthetic.

17. jch1

jch1 Senior member

My apologies- I didn't take a long enough look at the tie and just assumed it was a wool knit. Nothing wrong with silk knit ties for this season.

18. chris45

chris45 Senior member

I've been gone for a bit due to work.. haven't had a chance to follow the SF threads in a long time!

But, for my come back, I pulled the trigger on some Rush Streets .. should come in tomorrow .. and got a good deal on them =] Will make sure to post pictures tomorrow.

I know I'm behind on the threads, but for those who do not know, there is a June (or July?) tent sale coming up very soon.. I think 15% off and other deals in there...

I miss everyone.. glad to be back! =]

19. chris45

chris45 Senior member

Those are fantastic.. definitely going to be grabbing a shell Strand soon. Only shell I have at the moment is my MacNeil but need a nice shell bal in the mix!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  20. mdubs

TG, looking forward to seeing them!!! :)

-M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.