Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hunter

The Hunter Well-Known Member

Thanks I signed up for the newsletter last night so hopefully I will get a discount code before to long... not that I need to buy what would be a sixth pair in 2 months but who am I to pass up a deal

2. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

Is this normal for a pair AE's after about 25-30 uses?

Defect?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Normal or not, these are going back to Nordstrom's today.

3. jipajappa

jipajappa Member

I would say that is very abnormal for any pair of decent shoes, including AEs.

Did you buy them as seconds? Did you get them very wet and not allow them to dry for an extended period (not sure if water damage would cause that to happen, but I'm sure someone on here would be)?

4. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

I'd like to see this look if someone has pictures. Been trying to pull it off to no avail. Wondering if my jeans are too long for this look...

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Is that bowing on the right shoe?

6. ridethecliche

I would not stuff them in. I would just fold/roll up the jeans 2-3 times depending on the length. It should be more than enough.

I think stuffing jeans into boots like the dalton looks silly because they aren't calf length. I do this when I wear 'skinny' jeans with frye boots that go halfway up my calf.

7. ridethecliche

I dunno, these are pretty handsome frye boots.

[​IMG]

AE needs to make something like this.

8. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

^

I agree. That's sort of what I was thinking with my Shaker Heights MTO, substituting leather for the tweed.

9. ridethecliche

They also don't make the shaker heights in black. I have three tweed blazers that I wear pretty regularly through the winter. The brown ones would be nice for a pairing methinks but $$$.

Spending money on having jackets altered for now. Heh.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  10. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

The soles look very abused to me. This could pretty much only happen if you wear them in the rain.

11. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Not when they're on. It has a reinforced top line with the brogueing so I'm not worried about that.

12. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Do AE cordovan shoes fit tighter in the same size vs calf?

I am looking at getting a pair of cordovan Strands but just want to be sure I should buy the same size as my McAllisters

13. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I find the cordovan version to be either slightly looser or the same. Good luck!

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Agreed

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Leather soles will wear out quicker in wet environments, but that doesn't preclude them from being worn in the rain. The sole will wear quicker because of the soft wet leather. You should be able to wear shoes a good bit in the rain before the soles wear out, unless you are walking very long distances on wet concrete. Even if he has been wearing them in the rain, what I see in those photos doesn't necessarily explain what's going on. Soles are lock stitched on, which means the threads are looped together in the stitch hole so that the threads don't separate even after the bottom is abraded by wear:

[​IMG]

The depth of the loop or "lock" can be adjusted and is typically set to be 2/3 or so up into the hole from the bottom, so that the soles don't separate even when the part of the thread that is exposed to the ground gets worn away. Additionally, the exposed part of the thread is provided a little bit of protection by cutting a groove in the sole for the stitches to nest in. Also, the soles are cemented on before they are stitched, which can help keep things attached as well.

In his photos above, the stitch groove is still present, which means the stitches have worn away and separated before the lock stitch should have been compromised. This is unusual, and would be very frustrating. In other words, the "theory" behind stitched soles has failed in this instance. Does that mean that AE or Nordstrom has to do something about it? Not necessarily, since it is pretty much impossible to prove that they have only been worn a few times, and that they weren't abused (like plucking the stitches out from the top). It almost looks like the thread has been pulled, in a similar way that you can pull a thread on an article of clothing, which can start a domino effect of unraveling. However, that's impossible with a lock stitch. I'm not saying that the OP has done this. I'm simply saying that this is unusual. I won't be surprised if they take the shoes back or repair them at no cost, since both companies are known for stellar customer service. If it has been a completely natural occurrence, I would personally classify it as a defect, and keep my fingers crossed that they'll fix it or exchange it.

Don't expect this to happen to your shoes simply from wearing them in the rain though.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.