1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Incorporating 50 shoes into a rotation has to be difficult. I keep meaning to downsize but cannot decide on what to sell and what to keep. Additionally I believe I would have instantaneous sellers remorse.

2. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

No doubt, I am up to about 15 pairs and feel guilty when something gets neglected. I think my walnut McAllisters have gone almost a month without being worn which is not ok with me haha.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I just counted and I have 32 pair of shoes across AE, Alden, & Carmina. Of course this number does not include sneakers, sandles, ect… It's really too many but I have trouble when deciding to sell a pair. I like them all. I've sold shoes in the past and I almost always regret it (i.e. the Alden Ravello LWB). On top of that there are still several styles that I want. I'm not sure it will ever end.

4. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I live about 2 hours from that outlet and I've visited there many times. I really love Charleston, You should visit if you are ever in the area.

5. mrrosenthal

mrrosenthal Member

Can someone give me a rundown on the top 5-7 pairs of must haves? I have 2 and they are my best shoe. I'll buy more, but too many choices and colors. Can someone give me a standard 5-7 pairs of must haves and hopefully where to buy them? (ebay, online, sales etc)

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

What are your 2?

7. freakersea

freakersea Well-Known Member

Hey all am looking buying the shaker heights tonight, in aus so can't go into a store so seeing what experience people have had with the sizing given the last it's on . Am a 10 1/2 D in park avenues as a comparison

8. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

Here are a few of the top AE styles:

Park Avenue
    Strand
    McAllister
    Dalton
    MacNeil
    Leeds
    Grayson

Those styles are all in the top sellers for AE and you really can't go wrong. The downside is they don't go on sale very often.

There are a lot if great places to buy them, just depends on what you are looking for. If you can hold out for outlet sales those are usually a good time to stock up. I also carry a small stock of AEs for sale here and on eBay. I may have something in your size so just shoot me a message if you are interested.

1 person likes this.
  9. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

No need to reinvent the wheel. Check this excellent thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/338954/streamlined-shoe-wardrobe

In Post #1 Manton provides his own top 6:

The list:

1) Black stitch caps. For funerals, job interviews, Important Meetings, and whenever you must be the ne plus ultra of CBD

2) Brown punch caps. The ultimate suit shoe, gorgeous and goes with virtually everything; could sub this one for a brown half or full brogue

3) A thick-soled blucher or longwing in brown textured calf or burg shell. Think the foo shoe, ed's Dinelackers, JL Russell, or one of those Vass $hitkickers. Perfect for any fall/winter odd jacket and good with most fall/winter suits

4) Tan monks. Good for summer suits or odd jackets, wearable the rest of the year

5) #8 shell or mink suede loafers. Dark enough for a blazer, grays and a white shirt but also colorful enough for day; better than lace-ups for most no-tie outfits

6) Tobacco suede oxford: goes with all suits from Labor Day to Memorial Day; wear it with odd jackets as long as I don't see you.

He immediately amended it to include a pair of cheap dirty bucks since the original list was tilted a bit toward fall/winter.

Of course, it is also skewed toward a "coat & tie every day" work dress code. In any event, it seems a great starting point for anyone, including folks with more casual needs.

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Wearing the AE Parliament in saddle brown today. Very limited production, not seen very often. On the 678 last which is perfect for my high instep and rubber executive sole for the rain today. And I'm wearing my OKC Thunder socks for tonight's home game.
    [​IMG]

Chris

11. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Quote:This totally depends on your preference and the purpose of your collection. I, for instance, don't wear boots but one of the most popular shoes AE offers is the Dalton (especially in walnut). The above choices are great and I would recommened one more: The 5th Aves (dark brown punched captoe).

12. robby

robby Member

Thanks! I actually saw this pair earlier in the thread. They look amazing. I was just curious what they look like stock because I was looking at a pair of factory seconds.

13. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

With all the recent conversation regarding traditional rules, etc., when I saw a pair of navy Banchory in the shoebank in my size (a LWB in a "distressed" style), I started wondering why most of AE's distressed collection (Neumok, Strandmok, Mctavish) are balmorals.If we're going casual with the shoe, isn't it somewhat contradictory to use the more formal balmoral lacing style, or does it not matter because the rules have already been thrown out the window with the colors and/or leathers used? Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  14. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Precisely my question. A shoe like the player's shoe in white nubuck is much more consistent than the spiaggia for example. I don't know why the neumok or McTavish or the many shoes after them are all oxford. Making them bluchers would be much more consistent.

All this said, many have pointed out that the shoes are obviously casual and should be worn as such. I don't disagree really, red leather can hardly be anything else. However, the shoes themselves present more inherent contradictions than I would typically like in my collection. I feel like they end up drawing too much attention and I have to dress pretty dull everywhere else to offset them. I have a few pairs of abominations, but not many. :)

15. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

"Rules out the window" is the thing for the non-suede Neumoks and a lot of the "rough" shoes.

But if you ask me, if you want to throw the rules out the window, and you want to wear balmorals with jeans, then that's where a nicely-shined tan shoe comes into play. Possibly I think that because I like compliments from women. That's just me.

But if you don't want attention-getting shoes, then the distressed balmorals aren't really the move.

Note that I draw a big distinction on this issue between casual shoes and business suit shoes (which should never shout).

Also, to play devil's advocate, a wingtip bal buck has more precedent than a wingtip derby buck (like the player's shoe), especially if the bal has a brick red sole. I mean, the bal buck is kind of the preserve of Apparel Arts, but still.

1 person likes this.
  16. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Another sizing experience question...

I wear a 10.5B or 10.5C in Park Avenues, 5th Avenues etc (5-65).

I'm looking at buying some AE loafers. I like the look of the Randolph (9-79) or Patriot (606). I probably prefer the Patriot. Would wear them with loafer socks, so a little thinner than my dress socks, which are wool and reasonably thick.

Not having the opportunity to try these on, I am not sure which last would suit me better (I understand that the 606 has a narrow heel and wide forefoot).

Does anyone have any experiences to share of the sizing they take in these compared to their 5-65 last size?

Cheers

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  17. mrrosenthal

mrrosenthal Member

Does anyone else have an opinion on what the top allen edmonds shoe styles are? How about top colors?

Looking for a list or a post/blog thanks

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  18. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

black park ave and then right after that are walnut strands.

19. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Quote:In terms of sales, PA and Strands, respectively. Paul Grangaard did an AMA not too ago on reddit. It's a very good read if you want to learn more about the Company and his views in the industry, among other things. I wished more shoemakers contribute to this type of conversation, especially Alden.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I would go up one half size in length from the 5 last for the patriot. It definitely runs shorter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.