1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

2. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Someone (may have been Vincenzo) once told me that they started offering them years ago due to customer requests, and they've been steady sellers ever since.

3. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

A better question might be why Allen Edmonds decided to call an "Italian Style" shoe "Torrance", a very non-Italian rather downmarket city in Southern California known for malls (both open and abandoned), car dealers, closed industrial plants, and traffic signals that take five minutes to change.

Palm Drive is at least a street in Beverly Hills. We lived on the 400 block of South Palm Drive in Beverly Hills when Harry S. Truman was President. Here's a picture of me checking my shoes (not Allen-Edmonds shoes) when we lived on South Palm Drive.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I use Tarrago and can't recommend it enough. I don't think regular sprays add a comparable level of protection.

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Looking to pick up a pair of Patriots, any long term thoughts on them? Still haven't decided between calf, and cordovan...

6. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

They are bit more on the casual end of the penny loafer, so I would go with calf. The Randolph looks really nice in shell and is a bit dressier.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hammi

Hammi Member

I was afraid that walnut was seen as too casual. Good to know its a good standard color for a shoe as its my favorite on shoes.
    What does 3 Last mean?

I also like the fifth avenue better too, but was worried the extra detail might make it not good for an everyday shoe...false?

Would you all say a burgundy shoe can replace a black shoe in most occasions?

8. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

Walnut strands are going to be a bit more flashy and if you wear darker colored suits I would stay away from those in a conservative environment. The reference to "last" is the form the shoe is made over and each one fits a bit differently. AE numbers all their lasts and you can find fit information on their website and this forum for the different lasts.

The Fifth Avenue is a great shoe and is just slightly below the Park Avenue in formality, a perfectly acceptable shoe for suits. The burgundy color can replace black in all but the most formal of occasions and if you were looking for something other than black to wear with navy and charcoal suits it would be your best color option.

1 person likes this.
  9. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

You cannot be serious !

Yes. Mostly.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  10. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

The patriot is one of my favorite loafers. It is low instep so keep that in mind. Mine is in suede, but I think one in shell would be great. Shell is a casual material after all . . .

11. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  12. taylorswift

taylorswift Active Member

I understand that AE has two construction - Goodyear welted & handsewn
    which one is better?

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

HaHa. Thanks, but I couldn't have made that big of a dent in the shell market... There are many others here that suck in Shell quickly also!

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Sorry for the late response. I haven't been on in a few days. In any event Bengal-Stripe was able to jump in with a great answer. We don't see him much around this thread, if ever!

16. MoneyWellSpent

They are completely different construction styles that serve completely different purposes. It's really apples and oranges. There is a place for both. Traditionally, there isn't overlap between the two, as if you are having to select one construction or the other. Rather, the style dictates which construction method is used, generally speaking. An exception to this would be some loafers (like penny loafers), where you can get either construction method, but frequently the construction goes hand in hand with the intended purpose of the shoe. Also, with loafers, the construction method delivers very different results in the overall appearance of the shoe. This may not be apparent to the average-joe on the street, but a shoe enthusiast will spot the difference very quickly. The boxy shape where the apron of the apron of a hand-sewn shoe turns down to join the toe is naturally this way because the leather is wrapped around the last from the bottom-up, and pulled up to be stitched to the apron. The same shape is "mimicked" on a Goodyear-welted loafer by employing a boxy shaped last. However, due to the difference in lasting techniques, Goodyear-welted loafers still have a sleeker look. Because of these differences, a Goodyear-welted loafer is more likely to be intended for business, while a hand-sewn is intended for casual comfort. In the current fashion these days, there are undoubtedly people who mix the two up. However, traditionally speaking, this makes sense. With AE's branching out in to casual styles, and their production of many "sartorially confused" shoes, they have Goodyear-welted loafers made from Chromexcel, and other casual components. In these cases, I'd say to pick the construction that is more comfortable for your intended purposes. I don't say "sartorially confused" to begin a debate about the casual/formal mixed components of many of AE's current offerings (because I like many of them). I simply say it to help explain my point, since they are a deviation from "tradition."

3 people like this.
  17. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

[​IMG]

18. MoneyWellSpent

That's pretty much to blurry to read on my screen. Please explain?

19. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

It's a stick figure recoiling in horror from a wall of text. What the wall of text in the picture says is irrelevant because no one reads walls of text.

20. MoneyWellSpent

Ah, well I was answering someone's legitimate question with genuine intent. Answering questions on shoe construction generally take several sentences. If you aren't interested, feel free to keep scrolling. You would be more than welcome to answer shoe construction questions more concisely next time, if you wish. I'm not on here as frequently as I used to be, so sometimes I'm a couple of days behind.

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.