1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

You should be cool.

2. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Quote:I take that back, I meant the WILLIAMS, sorry about that. Am I still good?

3. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Maybe slightly. I recall there being a black Rutledge in calf. However if you wanted shell then thats a mute point. And the upcharge isn't that great, especially if you wanted to play with a few other details. But kinda hard when its black. I have the standard black PAs, which were my first. And before I figured out the 5 last. So lately been thinking a black shell PA (2nd) might be nice. Then sell off my calf version. But then again I hardly wear black shoes.

4. Schucknasty

Schucknasty Active Member

+1. I have the Harrison in Walnut and am considering the Rutledge, as well. I have difficulty finding my size (14C) in other, higher-end brands and the Independence line seems like a nice bridge in a shoe that fits and which I can actually find. The higher-grade calfskin is wonderful and the lambskin lining is butter soft. They apparently don't carry C widths in the Independence line, but the Harrison fits me pretty well in D width becasue of the narrower 333 last.

5. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

6. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

The 2 last is even more narrow than the 5 last?

7. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I find that it feels that way. I'd a 9D in the Leeds and Dalton but a 8.5E in anything in the 5 last. I have a pair of RL Sandersons in a 9D (basically the same shoe) and it's not a terrible fit, but the toe hurts after a day of a lot of walking. If you can do 9D in the 5 last, you might be okay in the 2 last. Also, the independence lining and leather is soft enough where you any slight tightness isn't as noticeable.

8. peppercorn78

The toebox tapers more severely, so in places yes, depending on the shape of your foot. You may experiment with either going up a width or a length.

9. green garden

green garden Senior member

+1. The taper on the outside of the shoe is more severe. So the top of your pinky may hit leather if you have longer toes.

10. green garden

green garden Senior member

I recently got chili grain and agree that it is stiffer. I conditioned mine a couple of times and I feel they became a bit more supple. I use Lexol conditioner.

Or just wear thicker socks and break them in gently.

Good luck,

11. peppercorn78

So I already own the AE suede water protector spray. Is there any reason for me to spend more money on the expensive Tarragon Nano to waterproof my new MacAllister MTO? Or is what I have adequate?

[​IMG]

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

No help for you on the above question as I use Bickmore Gard More (per ColdIron's recommendation). My question for you, though...what's the main differences between this MTO and the navy Spiaggia?

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  13. peppercorn78

A) this one is in my correct size, which doesn't exist for Spiaggia. I have an 11 3E that's too big that I'm selling on eBay. I bought it before I was correctly sized on the 5 last. I like the shoe so much that I was waiting for a MacAllister sale to create a mock-up that fits me better.

B) I changed the lining color to red, and added a heel pad and half sock liner. The welt thread also is brown instead of white, but that was a mistake on their end. I'm fine with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  14. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

15. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Great collection - all bases covered. Well done.

16. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I made the Harrison's in Black Shell and the Jefferson's in Cappuccino Shell. I also made a Brown Shell Independence Strand. I highly recommend them. The special treatments of the Independence Collection is awesome, even if you upgrade to a Shell Cordovan upper.

-Mike

17. peppercorn78

Thank you! I think I'm only currently jonesing for a suede chukka. I had to return the Amoks I bought for super cheap because they were too narrow (even in 3E). So now I'm biding my time.

18. ayoungs

ayoungs Well-Known Member

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

20. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.