• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
I wear 8.5D/E on the 5-65 last and 9D in some others. All advice I've gotten says I should try that boot in 8.5. Now I just need coupon code that actually works for them...

I hear those JCrew boots can be difficult to size. I hear they runn quite a bit smaller to other Barrie lasted boots. I am surprised that you are 9.5D on brannock and still wear a 9.5 in the 5 last. That makes me think that you might be closer to 10 TTS also considering your 7 last size. Since they are boots I would say stick with the 9.5. My Barrie lasted boots fit loose with dress socks and quite nicely with thicker boot socks (which I typically wear with them).

I think I am a true 9.5 on the Brannock, but it probably depends on whether they check my size in the am or pm. I tend to wear 9.5E in the 5 last (dress), 9E (rough collection) and 9D (shell). Then again, I am more like 10D on the 1 and 7 last. Go figure...

Don't concentrate on the length of the shoe, or the number on the Brannock device. Concentrate on the size that gets the joint of your foot in the proper place, and then adjust width at that point. On some lasts, that will mean that there is a lot of room in front of your toes. On other lasts it will mean you don't have enough room. It could also mean that you aren't able to get the shoe/boots you want in your size or width.

J Crew, unfortunately, kind of sucks for Aldens because they only buy D widths. So if the proper length doesn't fit your foot shape, you're out of luck. Check out other sellers who carry better selections of widths, like the Shoe Mart. Allen Edmonds beats Alden on this one, crucial point, because they have so many widths available.

That said, if you are a 9.5E on the 5 last, 9.5D or possibly even 9.5C would likely do you well on the Barrie.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your input. I actually happened to get two pairs of LWB and a pair of Indy from JCrew some time in July (though they just got delivered the other day) with the 25% off coupon than somehow worked for them. Fwiw, folks at my local JCrew store had no problem stacking a 15% teacher's discount on top, which sounds like a great deal. I originally got them in 9.5 but then I decided to also get size 9 to compare the fit. From what I am seeing, I probably need size 9.25 or maybe 9E to get the best fit.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a guaranteed "right" answer to that without actually trying it and seeing for yourself. If I had to make an educated guess, it would be that the VSC would still lighten the shoes over time. VSC has petroleum distillates in it, and it will dissolve shoe polish to some extent. Thus, the black will be removed to some degree with each application.

Speaking of bourbon lightening, raises a question I want to ask. I picked up some Daltons in "burnished chili" as a Web Gem a while back. Does anyone know if they started off as walnut as well?

TheSizzle

Reaction score
I don't think there is a guaranteed "right" answer to that without actually trying it and seeing for yourself. If I had to make an educated guess, it would be that the VSC would still lighten the shoes over time. VSC has petroleum distillates in it, and it will dissolve shoe polish to some extent. Thus, the black will be removed to some degree with each application.

I think it's important to consider the following.

The first time I ran anything over the shoes, and I'm talking about nothing more than a dry cloth, a bit of black came up. So, I think that initial loss is inevitable. Beyond that, I think very neutral creams preserve it reasonably well.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Speaking of bourbon lightening, raises a question I want to ask. I picked up some Daltons in "burnished chili" as a Web Gem a while back. Does anyone know if they started off as walnut as well?

Perhaps they applied the same burnishing process to chili colored shoes, but I don't think they would call it burnished chili if it started as walnut.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps they applied the same burnishing process to chili colored shoes, but I don't think they would call it burnished chili if it started as walnut.

Chili is definitely tanned in color. As TheSizzle said, they will add burnishing to some chili models, but the calfskin is tanned in that reddish/brown hue from the tannery.

To my knowledge, the current Bourbon line is the only example of AE taking one color and turning it into another by this method. Even their original Bourbon shoes that they used to make a few years ago were a true tannage.

Last edited:

Subutai

Reaction score
Just checked, the Mojave appears to be offered in B, D and EEE sizes, though with some on-hand stock limitations. Also, it's on an infrequently used last (the 809) though I suppose they've been using it more, assuming its what they made the Amok on.

That's interesting. It seems to vary based on size and material. I was looking at the Olive Suede and only D widths come up. Tan Suede has B, D, and EEE. I haven't seen AE do that before.

kentyman

Reaction score
I think the Amok was made on the 4 last.

The Mojave definitely has a different shape than the Amok, which uses the 4-234 last. If they made an Amok on the 809, I would jump all over it. The Mojave looks good, but I don't think I can ever go back to crepe soles after finding how dirty they get.

kentyman

Reaction score
Thank you, gentlemen, for your input. I actually happened to get two pairs of LWB and a pair of Indy from JCrew some time in July (though they just got delivered the other day) with the 25% off coupon than somehow worked for them.

Any advice on how to know when a 25% coupon will work?

cincikid

Reaction score
Any advice on how to know when a 25% coupon will work?
No idea, really. I am just following the Alden thread on SF to get some insights. From what I understand, it has been one of the very rare occasions--possible a website error--that the coupon actually worked on the Aldens.

kentyman

Reaction score
No idea, really. I am just following the Alden thread on SF to get some insights. From what I understand, it has been one of the very rare occasions--possible a website error--that the coupon actually worked on the Aldens.

Gotcha. I have a hard enough time keeping up with this thread. That one is pretty insane.

Anyway, read in good health, step-second-nephew-in-law-thrice-removed...

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Gotcha. I have a hard enough time keeping up with this thread. That one is pretty insane.

Anyway, read in good health, step-second-nephew-in-law-thrice-removed...

:rotflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads