1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Distinguished Member

Heres the thing...
    If you can find a pair of burgundy shell seconds at Jville or elsewhere, jump on them before you get something else.
    I am sure the fine folks here can direct you to all the places you may find the seconds.
    If they are not available, you should go with Brown or Bourbon.
    You aren't going to go wrong with any color. You can always get another pair down the road.
    Keep in mind that these are more than a 1 season boot.
    These may be a 20+ year boot with the proper care.
    Ps. Any pair of shoes/boots will develop a patina and change some color over the time you have them.
    Best of luck.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Distinguished Member

Not "you can", it's more likely that "you will" based on what I've seen happen to people on this thread, myself included. [​IMG]

3. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Senior Member

Thank you for the reply, it's appreciated.

If anyone reading this wants to direct me anywhere, please message me. I would greatly appreciate the information.

Thanks again.

4. DHD28

DHD28 Senior Member

So, with everything said about the Bourbon color, if one would want to keep it on the darker side of the spectrum, how would one achieve this?

5. fourspin

fourspin Well-Known Member

Black sharpie

6. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

I would suggest using neutral polish and buffing with your black brush, possibly even using a coat of black polish once every four times you ploish them. I have been using the AE Bourbon polish on my Hanovers and it has really evened out the color: More olive than golden.

7. ryansto

Call them. I'm sure they have your purchase history on file.

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

I wonder if I can solicit an advice about sizing on the Barrie last, I got a pair of Alden's for JCrew in 9 and 9.5 trying to figure out which would fit better. 9.5 seems to fit ok, but it just feels like it's too roomy for me. Size 9 fits more snug, bug I am not sure if it's perfectly comfortable. I almost feel like I need 9 1/4. For the reference, I measure 9.5 D on the Brannock device, and wear 9.5 E on the 5 last (except for the rough collection) and 10 D on the 7 last.

9. ryansto

This is it. Either the vamp is too flat, or the quarters don't extend far enough forward on the boot. It may have something to do with how long the cap is, and not wanting to have the cap seam too close to the quarters.

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

I usually err on the side of slightly too big. Alden makes a full leather insole which can be used to eat up some of the room. I am 8.25d myself and go with the 8d in the barrie. I also wear an 8.5d in the 5 and 1 lasts.

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

I wear 8.5D/E on the 5-65 last and 9D in some others. All advice I've gotten says I should try that boot in 8.5. Now I just need coupon code that actually works for them...

12. delmar

delmar Senior Member

For those interested in Allen Edmonds cedar shoe racks. I just bought four of the large racks along with a topper. Each rack is supposed to hold four pairs but I can only get three pairs in each--actually three and a half pairs in each rack. But who wants to split up a pair? But my shoe size is 12 E and I can't quite fit four pairs in a rack.

13. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior Member

Sorry if my "griping" offended you or whatever... As I alluded to before, and as Tifosi has so fittingly joked, it's become sort of a game for me. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as I make it seem. The first time I did it, I miffed a lot of people, and now it's just become a running joke of sorts. I've long since reconciled my differences with AE's website picture quality.

While my concerns are legitimate, I do it because it causes a stir and gets the forum rolling.

To sum it up, you can sleep good at night knowing that I don't spend my life thinking about the poor quality of AE's website photos.

14. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior Member

how does dark chocolate differ from dark brown?

AGAIN, this wouldn't be an issue if they had good pictures on their website... but they don't so...

[​IMG]

15. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior Member

I'm a big fan of my dark chocolate...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.