Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

lol... Sorry, ya'll know by now I just can't let this go [​IMG]

2. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

[​IMG]

3. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I am not sure it is a graphic.
    I think it is actually shot in a more controlled environment, that doesn't show what the shoe looks like in a real life lighting situation.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460097-REG/Impact_402056_Medium_Digital_Fluorescent_Light.html
    This is the type of thing used to shoot these photos that you are alluding to.
    While there is variation in the color and finishing on the leather, the lighting is also making it look completely different.

4. chinngiskhaan

If it's just a photo then why does it take them AT LEAST a month to put up the "photos"? They sure look like photoshoped images to me... I see the photo that whats his bucket got in the email, and I see the website stock photos and I am just baffled at why they don't use pictures like the one in the email.

[​IMG]

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I believe that bkotsko is correct. They are real photos, but they don't do the shoes the same justice that many other types of photography do. They aren't flattering. I agree with that. However, my thinking would be the opposite of yours, with regard to how long it takes to get them up on their website. I would say that the reason it takes them a while to get them up is because they are real photos. If they are simply computer generated images from the design team's computer mock-ups, then that would be easy to upload in no time. Rather, the shoes have to be mocked-up, put into production (or at least have prototypes produced), once the final product is landed on, and the shoe is ready for launch, they take a sample and photograph it for the website. I think that is what takes so long. Additionally, the other images of the shoes that are closer up are very easily seen to be real photos.

As TheSizzle said (and as I originally mentioned), the shoes still exhibit a very large range of variation in color even if it wasn't what the OP was initially asking. Even in a "flattering" photo like the one in the sales flier above, all three are noticeably different.

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

They're not computer graphics. They may've been airbrushed, but they're not fabricated. I have seen (and we have discussed) multiple examples of shoes they took pictures of where they show unflattering blemishes (deep wrinkles, uneven throat from the back, strange bending upward of the toe).

I realize you're annoyed with how some of their pictures turn out or how long it takes for them to get uploaded (we all are), but I guarantee they're not paying someone to create a photorealistic graphic from scratch over the course of months. Please don't post your speculation and opinion as fact.

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

It looks to me that the promotional material has more Photoshop glam added to it, while the website pics have the opposite, a lack of much post editing. Sure the backgrounds looked removed, and maybe even a generic drop shadow added, but it looks like they went out of their way to mute saturation, reduce contrast, eliminate color variations, etc. They are definitely not completely digital in my opinion. The real question does remain, why they chose to keep their web pics so conservative...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. USAmade

USAmade Member

I agree that some of the photos differ in color/contrast/lighting, and the pictures used online/style catalog are shot in a studio, whereas the photos in the promotional/seasonal/real-life catalogs from the mail portray real life situations, but they're not going to use a picture that's not touched up a little bit.

While some of the colors might be off based on the color filters used in the picture, at the end of the day, all of the shoes & belts are hand made, hand burnished, and will all vary slightly. if you're an AE fan, just go into a store and look at them in person, and stop complaining

10. chinngiskhaan

In my opinion an airbrushed photo is a fabricated photo. It certainly looks fake to me, but whether it is or not is honestly beside the point. If the photos they put up looked like the real thing I wouldn't care if they were computer generated images, untouched photos, or an oil painting, as long as they accurately represented the product being sold. The fact is... these photos don't accomplish that in the least.

While I admit my assertion that they are computer generated was quite possible wrong or at the very least poorly stated (it was clear in my mind from the beginning that they are not 100% computer generated, but rather a photo that has been altered through airbrush or photoshop or however they do it), I still stand by my statement that they need to change these photos.

After you click on the initial photo and look at the photos taken from other angles, they often look far more real than the initial photo. It seems obvious to me that real photos of the shoes taken by members of this forum do the shoes far more justice than the website ones... It takes forum member mere minutes to take these photos, so why can't AE do this?

just a suggestion...

Also keep in mind that I think AE is great. Their customer service would be perfect but for this one rather small fault.

Thanks for your input fellas!

11. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Whats the rule on service men and women using AAFES for their friends or fellow forum followers?

This deal is amazing!

For friends, there is no issue. It is the same as jumping in the car and your friend taking you on base where he/she can buy something using his ID.

But for non-AAFES people who try to sign up for an account at the website, I would strongly suggest not to try to circumvent the application. Because the app goes through the federal reporting system, it could very well be a federal crime.

Here is the disclosure:

"Only authorized Exchange customers can order from the all services Exchange Online Store and online Mall. Since we are unable to validate eligibility online by viewing each customer's Identification and Privilege Card, we must validate eligibility through the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) and therefore the only information available for eligibility validation purposes is social security number and date of birth. For this reason, the first time customers log-in to our site we are required to obtain the last 4 digits of social security number, along with date of birth and last name. The first time customers enter our site, however, they will be required to change their social security number to a new Username. Please be assured that we do not retain your social security number outside of the DEERS system and we take every measure to safeguard your personal information (for further information refer to our Online Safety Guarantee).

Except for verifying patronage eligibility or authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are not used for any other purposes and are scheduled for destruction in accordance with AAFES internal guidelines.

If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here, please visit our Contact AAFES page."

12. chinngiskhaan

they could also do videos of a real person holding a real shoe... and maybe even wearing it.

Again, just an idea... it's totally possible that this could cost AE too much to do (assuming that AE is less capable of doing this than Zappos).

13. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    DOUBLE LAYER SHEARLING COAT
    By Allen Edmonds

[​IMG]

This is one of the most handsome coats of the year, all leather, with double layer shearling as a triple benefit. The look and feel is superb.

You will save over $400 by today only, Monday, Veterans Day - and your investment will last more generations to come.

All my best,

David

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Sign me up to be the foot model!! LOL

15. chinngiskhaan

If they made videos I think I'd be doing a lot of this in my down time... and at work

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.