1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Welcome to the thread!

Personally, I always condition new shoes, you never know how long they were sitting around drying out before they got to you.

As for seconds, it it pretty much hit or miss. It's all cosmetic flaws and it could be minor, or I could be a big ugly blemish right on the toe.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  2. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

If it's a pair of MTO shoes or shoes that you know for sure just got out from the assembly line, I don't think it's necessary to do anything to the shoes.

For the case of seconds, I think it's a good idea to do a simple polish since you don't know how long the shoes have been sitting on the shelves for.

3. rc121

rc121 Senior member

mine would not subside no matter how much I conditioned them. So I finally used some baby powder and it went away altogether. I'd recommend using the powder now.

4. AllenEdmonds

AllenEdmonds Member

The site was built in about 2 weeks. My primary concerns were, correct inventory data, speed, and security.

You are correct that the pricing information needs to be more apparent. This will change in the future.

I was reviewing the site on a tablet today, and I agree some changes should be made. I don't see the site being optimized for mobile anytime soon, but I am watching the statistics and we are looking at how people are using it. If we get enough mobile customers we will look at switching it over to a responsive site design. This time around there was not enough time.

Information about non-shoe items should happen in the conversation with the store. It is not meant to be an ecommerce site. As your first point indicates, the goal was to make the interaction with the store easier for selling the seconds inventory, not replace our excellent sales people.

Two other issues I want to address that have been repeated.

First, Allen Edmonds partners with a number of great firms. As we continue to work on the site, the selection and what is available will continue to evolve. This is our first pass and we wanted to be very conservative on what was made available to the entire internet.

Second, showing inventory available is a double edge sword. As a business, we always want customers to purchase immediately, and often(and by the sound of it many of you do! Thank you!). There are numerous ecommerce studies, that if you show inventory, it will reduce the likelihood of an immediate purchase. As an example, lets say I have a Park Avenue in a 10 D and there are 1000 in stock, from the studies, people are more likely to wait, thinking there will be a sale or they can do it another time. What I have seen done, are low stock messages. Using the same example, 5615 10 D and we now have 3 in stock, the message might be "Low Stock!" or "Almost Gone!". That might be a possibility in the future.

Again, I want to thank everyone for the excellent suggestions. I always enjoy hearing from customers and working with them to make the Allen Edmonds experience better.

Thank you,

Dave Barber

1 person likes this.
  5. barrance

barrance Member

Cool, thanks for the confirmation. I only have baby powder at home and didn't feel like running out to buy something else just for this.

6. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Hi Dave. Thanks for the update and the sharing with us the process by which the shoebank website is being developed. I for one fin the website a big improvement over the previous status quo and whatever "gaps" there are could be pretty much be addressed with a phone call to the outlet, which is how it was done pre-shoebank.com.

I echo the suggestion of another user of being able to filter the available models per store. The reason being is that some would like to be able to eye-ball the shoes either personally or by the SA to minimize the possibility of returns. It would be nice to know which shoe models are available in-store of the respective SAs we choose as our regular point of contact. Of course that being said, we can always drill down on each shoe and find the store its available at. The nice thing about database is that it can be manipulated and presented in a manner most useful to users.

Thanks!

7. JTD14

JTD14 New Member

Love the site, although I haven't seen any brooks brothers models listed? will we have to continue to e-mail for brooks brothers styles?

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

There were a few Brooks models listed in my sizes when I checked the other night.

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us! Your site caused me to purchase a pair on Wednesday night. One of the styles that I was interested in happened to be in stock at a store I was near when on the road... You had perfect timing with your post. The fact that you can view the models and then see where they are at is super cool. I personally shop by style rather than by location, but I suppose I could see some wanting to know where they are first. I agree with you that showing quantity could be a bad idea, but a low indicator would be cool for adding urgency. Although, I suspect in my rare narrow width pretty much every shoe would be "low"...

-Mike

10. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I think the fact that an AE rep takes the time to explain the changes to us and field our questions, concerns, and suggestions is pretty damn cool.

I haven't bought seconds from AE yet, but this site pretty much guarantees I will.

Thanks.

11. srolaser

srolaser Active Member

What color are those?
    Thanks.
    S

12. iamsilvermember

iamsilvermember Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about wearing Burgundy Shell Dalton with everyday suit for work? (likely navy suit with shirt but no tie)

Would that be too casual? Cheers.

[​IMG]

13. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

A thousand times, THIS. It's late on a Friday evening and an Allen Edmonds VP is explaining to anonymous internet cheapskates (loyal cheapskates, to be fair) his plans to make our experience better? Amazing.

14. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Oh my... speaking of the new site, I saw a pair of Truffle/Cappuccino cordovan McAllisters on the list.

I have brown cordovan Strands and the McAllisters currently being shipped to my SA, if the shoes look good and budget permits I could be adding two of my fav shoes to my collection. If not, hopefully I can at least add the McAllister as the Stand can be found at pretty much any time. I should hear more next week.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I'm a size 8D in most AE models like the PA, strand and lasalle, how does the MORA 2.0 fit compared to them? Would I be the same size?

16. jtl5

jtl5 New Member

HI everyone, long-time lurker and first-time poster here. Just wondering, has anyone heard of the Allen Edmonds Fairlawn shoe before? They appear to look identical to the current McAllisters, but googling AE Fairlawn yields no results. Were they made by AE or discontinued a long time ago?

Cheers
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  17. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Cross post from AE MTO thread.

Black heather grain McAllister. Any suggestions on how to rock it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

19. Appleanche

Appleanche Member

Does anyone have a picture of two shoes with similar wear times - one with a V-Tread and one with the leather sole?

I coulda swore I saw a similar picture a while back.

20. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

If the situation is casual enough that a tie is not needed, I would think that the Dalton's would be fine then. They work well with a suit in a slightly more casual application. I pair them with odd jacket and trousers, or a navy suit, frequently; they are my favorite foot coverings. Most of the time, people just think they are shoes, unless you are sitting, or choose to show them. I don't think you would regret getting a pair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.