Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I was interested in the Neumok, as well. I tried it on, in four or five different sizes. I came to conclude it was not meant for a human foot.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The Neumok is a little strange. I tried on a pair in blue. SA stated that fit is slightly different than traditional #5 last shoe. I couldn't tell. The "D" width is too big in the heel for me. I could special order the "C" or opt for the Ridgeway which is very similar (except it's lined and has a rubber sole). If you like the Neumok but want a standard #5 last fit, consider the Ridgeway.

3. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

My problem is that I'm looking specifically for a suede option. I wish AE would expand their suede offerings.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Same here. I am contemplating a custom order, like a blue suede Strand or something like that. Of course that means more $$$$. But at least AE still allows custom orders. If I want an 11C in a custom Alden, I have to pre-order with a retailer who offers it, pre-pay, and then wait 8 months. AE looks better everyday.

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Players or Quintons?

6. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

First post, but I thought this would be a better place to ask this question than starting a new thread.

I'm an office guy and am business casual most days with a suit only two or three times per month. I got started with AEs out of school and now have the three pairs shown in the picture.

The Seneca, the black split toe blucher, was my first real dress shoe purchase at least eight years ago. They were recrafted about three years ago. I picked up the merlot Park Aves. about five years ago and then added the Strands last year. You might guess that I'm a fan of the no. 5 last. Having three pairs of decent shoes means I can now rotate them without resorting to some seriously ugly alternatives in my closet.

I'm going to add another pair and want to make sure I am covering the basics. What would the folks around here suggest? A burnished brown Kenilworth or a wingtip? Should I just get the ubiquitous black captoe like a Fifth Ave?

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

A brown wingtip would round out your current collection. McAllister or McNeil

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I hardly wear black so I would go with something dark brown if I were you. The only problem there is that if you had to really get dressed up you are missing a black cap toe.

9. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

10. sartorialnoob

What about something a little different like the Dalton wingtip boot in brown? Is there a big difference between the no. 1 and no. 5 lasts?

11. sartorialnoob

I'm in the midwest and I think a lot of people around here are missing a blck cap toe. I've worn the Senecas when black shoes were called for (like funerals) and have never felt out of place.

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

#1 last is more rounded in the toe, I think. But, sure, a wingtip boot would work too.

13. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

I have both the Strands (#5) and the Malverns (#1) and the #5's are narrower throughout, but have a much wider toe box than the #1's. The #1's have a more pointed toe than the #5's. I wear 9.5E in Strands and 10D in the Malverns, for reference.

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I was browsing on Amazon. They have a 15% discount on select shoes. Allen Edmonds are included.

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Some real life pics of the Larchmont, it's a good looking longwing :slayer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have yet to try on the 333 last, they had little inventory of any of the shoes in this last. Hopefully the AE stores start to get more stock in soon :plain:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.