1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I have little style and do not know the rules..I simply apply my former artist training to what I feel matches and does not match and I am very fine with it....that being said I enjoy your explanations of the rules and how you come about putting your clothes together. Well done!

2 people like this.
  2. frankmartin

frankmartin Well-Known Member

A lot (maybe all?) of the Brooks Brothers shoes made by Allen Edmonds which have the vtread also have combo or dovetail heels. Part of the combination heel is leather. So, the rubber sole is great for wet weather, but the leather heel really is not, so I don't get the point of this at all. It does look kinda cool, but otherwise just does not make sense to me.

[​IMG]

3. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

I have bought BB shoes (seconds quality) from the AE outlet stores before and very satisfied with them. I dont think the website (shoebank) will show the inventory for AE shoes. If you already know your size, best to just call the store and see what they have. I believe many of the BB versions are on sale for around ~165 right now at the outlet stores, right around your budget.

4. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

This is how I solve the problem of the bizarre heels on the Brooks Brothers versions of Allen-Edmonds shoes.........

[​IMG]

5. tradbrah

tradbrah Senior member

I'm selling a pair of tan suede Neumoks in size 9D, worn 5-6 times. PM me if interested.

6. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Interesting ... My BB Fifth Ave is wearing down pretty fast within 6 months. Did you get these done after the heels wear down? Would you mind sharing how much it cost?

7. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

I get it done (for safety reasons) before I wear any Brooks Brothers versions of Allen-Edmonds shoes. (I don't have any shoes with leather heels or soles.) In Los Angeles, new rubber heels are usually between $18.00 and $20.00.

8. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Thanks for the quick reply. Did they remove the existing heels and replace with the rubber heels or just glue the rubber heels on top of the existing heels?

9. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

Hello,

I need sizing help.

10D in Park and Delray/Laselle.
    Park fit perfect, Delray/Laselle-near perfect (tiniest bit of heel slip)

So I got a pair of Randolph in 10D and slipping so much I cant really wear it (even with a heel pad it is still slipping).
    The font feel pretty snug. Do you guys suggest a 9.5D next time or a 9.5E?

10. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

When speaking of seconds, the BB versions are often less money than the regular AE version for some reason. At least that was the case last year when I bought MacNeil and Shelton seconds, BB versions.

11. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Thank you for the feedback on this, it will get me started on my search!

12. StyleNovice6

StyleNovice6 Active Member

So i'm assuming the new website for seconds will have no effect on 2 for 250 second sales? Are Dalton's typically included in the 2 for 250 sales?

Also, think the upcoming nordstrom sale will be worth waiting for?

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I wear my walnut stands with navy pants, looks great to me :slayer:

I like the contrast of light colored shoes or boots with dark color pants. I.e Clarks with jeans. Are people in this thread freaking 70 years old? :slayer::smarmy:

BTW I"m just having some fun. I understand most people are conservative here

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I really like the brooks brothers poron insoles. They're extremely comfortable and feels like I'm walking on a cloud

15. robbiebutt

robbiebutt Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, just thought I'd post that I have a pairs of shoes for sale, the Fairfax in 8.5D black, and the Jefferson in 8.5D brown. Check out my ads, I'd like to move them so I can add some walnut Strands to my collection!

16. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

The front sole is more like a topy, which prevents your sole from wearing down too quickly. Not really for wet since it's just a top layer. Step on a puddle and the water will permeate the leather sole.

17. BCer

BCer Senior member

You've got me thinking too. I've got one pair of PRL Saunders by AE, with that heel too. Can anyone explain what the true reasoning is behind the leather/rubber combo heel? I get the rubber piece for durability, but why bother with the leather section? Softer? Quieter? Meant strictly as indoor? For me, living in the beautiful Vancouver [rain forest] area, it's just so impractical. Topys rule, as do rubber heels. Just curious...

18. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Having a half rubber/half leather heel is indicative of a higher quality shoe. When you wear down that jigsaw piece (dovetail), a cobbler should drop another one in there, thus, extending the life of your heel. Should be cheaper than a full heel. In reality, I have yet to have a cobbler actually have this piece in stock. Believe me, I've asked. It's probably because different shoe makers have their own unique jigsaw piece (don't know this for sure). I do what a recent poster above did: ask for a full rubber heel. They can give you a 1/2 leather/rubber one, but that is a few dollars more than all rubber.

19. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

+1. My BB Park Aves. are very comfortable, and they're not even completely broken-in yet. Also got them for a great price during the seconds sale back in February.

1 person likes this.
  20. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

It's Friday so time for the McTavish
    [​IMG]

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.