Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

A PE firm cares about making money. The PE company made a lot of it by increasing the US manufacturing and expanding into other made in US stuff.

Like another poster said, the letter I got indicated they are going to be expanding their Port Washington location.

2. calidist

calidist Senior member

Good news. Should be a great looking make up.

3. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks! Quite impressive that I got the answer so quickly when I've been googling it for quite some time already. That and maybe because of my amateurish googling skills.

4. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Is there a difference in fit in 97 lasted shoes that are slip ons (Grayson) vs those that are lace ups (macneils)? Should sizing be adjusted accordingly to accommodate the difference, if any?

5. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

Please post pics when you get them!

6. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

By the end of my time at the other Brentwood owned company we were heavily outsourcing to Asia. China specifically. Large things like tooling which was cheaper to order there and have fixed here because it never came in right down to small almost finished goods.

It got to the point that any PO I issued that was not outsourced overseas would require I fill in a paragraph or two defending why I wasn't. Brentwood owns 360 Sourcing (Asia) which is a company that helps outsource and they were quick to use them. From their website:
    THREE SIXTY ASIA

ThreeSixty Asia is a global sourcing operation that assists its customers with the procurement of consumer and light industrial goods. ThreeSixty leverages its network of international factories to achieve the lowest possible product cost while maintaining specified quality standards.

7. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Don't forget fellas that AE being made in the USA is something that the Chinese mid-upper class is demanding. Brentwood isn't going to just throw that out the window. I have a feeling they'll expand more and more in Port Washington. We might see the ae by AE moved but that MADE IN USA carries a major premium around the world.

Just my $.03.

I hope y'all have a great day!

8. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Oh my &$*# calidist. You are selling the two EXACT shoes for which I've been searching. Unfortunately, just last week I broke down and bought the Color 8 LWB's and, since I couldn't find Ravello, the Whiskey's! I am kicking myself

...I apologize, I just realized this wasn't necessarily AE related. Back to it....

9. evolved

evolved Senior member

I heard back from her last night. She said she had tried to contact manufacturing to get an update, but did not hear back so she sent them an email and will let me know when she hears back.

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Glad you got something!

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Just interest and research, it's a hobby. No secrets or tricks. I'd wager you know a lot about whatever your hobbies are as well (assuming you've been at them for a while). I'm wanting to try my hand at making my own pair of shoes, and am slowly accumulating the necessary tools. It's very expensive if you drop a few thousand dollars all at once to just buy a complete toolkit from a bespoke shoemaker (which I can't afford at this point in my life). So I'm just buying pieces as I come across them.

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Since finding this forum my hobby has become spending money. I know all about that!

13. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

MWS never hesitates to share his wealth of knowledge with the likes of us. He is a very helpful man.

14. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

I'm actually very interested in this as well... Have you looked into any of those week long shoe making classes where they walk you through the process of making a shoe from the design all the way through to the final product? In researching this I've also ran into some very interesting books on shoe making.

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Care to share titles of some of these books? I'd be interested in reading up on shoemaking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.