• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewN

Reaction score
Wow, I never realized that AE shoes retail for nearly $600 in China. Imagine how many people would be wearing AEs if Chinese made shoes were taxed at that rate in the US
lol8[1].gif

By the way, what do you guys think is a good selling price for a pair of used cappuccino shell Dundees?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
$500 here. :(

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just tried out the Quentins I got back from recrafting due to a faulty sole. Unfortunately, they don't fit anymore. The V in the laces is much larger than before I sent them in, and the one shoe is so tight it was cutting off circulation in the forefot after only 5 minutes. On the same shoe, the heel was so wide it was slipping.

I don't think this is a break-in issue, as they were basically brand new. I only wore them 3 times.

Has anyone else experienced issues like this after recrafting?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just tried out the Quentins I got back from recrafting due to a faulty sole. Unfortunately, they don't fit anymore. The V in the laces is much larger than before I sent them in, and the one shoe is so tight it was cutting off circulation in the forefot after only 5 minutes. On the same shoe, the heel was so wide it was slipping.

I don't think this is a break-in issue, as they were basically brand new. I only wore them 3 times.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

By the way, what do you guys think is a good selling price for a pair of used cappuccino shell Dundees? 

Also interested in this answer....

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found it might have only slightly darkened them. The Obenauf's Leather Oil would certainly darken the leather more. But the LP darkens while 'wet', and then lightens back up close to original - in my experience. Someone else commented about not doing his Daltons - I have Daltons too, and no way I would consider using the LP (or even oil probably) on them. They are my 'dress boots' that I'll use rejuvenator lotion on, and I like to give them some good polish and shine. My experience with LP Is that it gives quite oily-waxy finish to the leather, which you want for waterproofing. But I'm not sure you'd have any success getting a nice polish shine on top of LP. For my rougher-weather Bayfields, Wolverine 1K's and Oak Streets, I'm very happy with LP. But not for my Daltons...
I was the one who said I wouldn't do my daltons :)
Yup. I left the HDLP on for about 24 hours then wiped the excess off with a rag. The shoes looked like they were closer to their normal color. I'll likely apply it again in a few months when they've been through a few rounds in the grit.

I have a pair of Dark Brown Long Branch. Should I get the 4oz or 8oz? How much do you actually use?

You could probably get away with the 4 oz. You honestly don't need that much to apply it twice to one pair of boots. I maybe used half an ounce on two pairs of boots and applied it twice...

I might do a third pair as well depending on whether I feel like wearing them out in the slop. The probability is rather high for this one! Just a hair worried about the color, so I'll likely wait till the other boots settle down to see what they end up looking like.

The boots are definitely left with a sticky/waxy feeling to them.

Last edited:

Septimus

Reaction score
Why did you send them in for recrafting in the first place if you've only worn them three times before sending them in? (Or am I misreading your post, in which case, why are you sure they won't break in if you've only worn them three times since getting them back?)

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did you send them in for recrafting in the first place if you've only worn them three times before sending them in? (Or am I misreading your post, in which case, why are you sure they won't break in if you've only worn them three times since getting them back?)
I read faulty sole.

yoose

Reaction score
Wow, I never realized that AE shoes retail for nearly $600 in China. Imagine how many people would be wearing AEs if Chinese made shoes were taxed at that rate in the US
lol8[1].gif

its actually over $800 for the PA, Strands, etc. the normal retail price is 5000 CNY for those shoes. didn’t even bother checking if they have shells after that.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Well said, a touch cloudy and waxy, just as weatherproofed leather boots should feel! They look good, smell good and wear good. Don't hesitate doing LP on them. And use your hands...massage it in! You'll know what I mean as you start the process. Enjoy...helps one appreciate great handmade leather boots at a whole new level.

This is how I apply conditioner to my baseball glove. My fingers are sore at the end but I get the stuff in every nook.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I sent them in initially due to a sole that was breaking apart. They did the recraft for free since the bottoms showed know wear. I took them into the store, and they are stretching them out. I'll give it a few days and try them again. I only paid like $150 for these on closeout, so I don't feel like I can push this too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads