Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I don't think this means anything. It's not uncommon to leave the current CEO in place with a nice golden parachute until the buyer gets a better feel for the new purchase and what needs to be accomplished.

2. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Of course that's true, but I would be a lot more concerned about a swift change in direction if they pulled him out. I've seen that happen as well.

Really, we just need to pay attention and see what the next few months bring as far as product offerings and customer support.

3. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

Another article:

http://www.startribune.com/business/230575381.html

Sold for $200M. Considering their recent owners paid around $120M for the company originally, I'm not surprised they sold. Tough to leave $80M on the table.

It is encouraging to hear Paul talk about putting "the throttle down a little more"

4. Eightdaze

Eightdaze New Member

Gentlemen,

This is my second attempt at fifth aves. The first pair purchased from amazon was sent back because of excessive bowing around the ankle. The pair pictured is the second attempt, same size but a width narrower, mto from AE.
    I'm concerned that the curve of the sole is too severe. It feels as though I'm standing on the rocker of a rocking chair. The right shoe curves more than the left and in a different place.
    In comparison, the toes of my New Orleans rise a third as much from the floor.
    Is this a defective pair of shoes? Or simply a poor fit?

This may be a separate issue but the bowing around the ankle remains. However it is much less pronounced than the previous pair. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

6. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

7. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Interesting on the sales news. I suspected Brentwood would be bidding. I worked for a company they owned some time ago their model is to find sector dominant companies with sustained growth potential and a solid management team and then inject money in amongst ever tighter fiscal growth targets in order to realize their investment in 4-7 years. They also owned Filson and Ariat if you recognize the names. They do occasionally spin off companies in IPOs but they're in the minority. Steven is quoted in the article but one of the partners (likely him) will take over as functional director with the CEO charged with executing their plans. Half way through the process they really started belt tightening in order to show steady consistent profits to make the balance sheets more attractive to the next buyers. I suspect you won't see any changes for the next two or three years and then they'll start cutting out non critical perk services and adjusting staffing levels to transition from an unbridled growth phase to a steady growth maintained profit phase.

I will say by the end of my time there outsourcing overseas was being pushed from the highest levels which I believe they did internally with Filson as well.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

8. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

9. SBear

SBear Senior member

Glad the new owners seem to have a vision that follows the current values and trajectory.

10. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

They told me they will recraft.

12. BCer

BCer Senior member

I found it might have only slightly darkened them. The Obenauf's Leather Oil would certainly darken the leather more. But the LP darkens while 'wet', and then lightens back up close to original - in my experience. Someone else commented about not doing his Daltons - I have Daltons too, and no way I would consider using the LP (or even oil probably) on them. They are my 'dress boots' that I'll use rejuvenator lotion on, and I like to give them some good polish and shine. My experience with LP Is that it gives quite oily-waxy finish to the leather, which you want for waterproofing. But I'm not sure you'd have any success getting a nice polish shine on top of LP. For my rougher-weather Bayfields, Wolverine 1K's and Oak Streets, I'm very happy with LP. But not for my Daltons...

13. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Thanks for the reply. I'd only be interested in using them on my Bayfield and not Dalton. I may give it a shot.

14. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I used it on my Bayfields. It didn't change the colour at all, but did reduce the shine a bit. They're a touch cloudy and "waxy" as it was put earlier.

15. BCer

BCer Senior member

Well said, a touch cloudy and waxy, just as weatherproofed leather boots should feel! They look good, smell good and wear good. Don't hesitate doing LP on them. And use your hands...massage it in! You'll know what I mean as you start the process. Enjoy...helps one appreciate great handmade leather boots at a whole new level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.