1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Hecks yea! :slayer:

2. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Not only have you stripped 'em down to the most gorgeous color I've ever seen, you've also inspired me to break out my wallet when AE runs another sale on shell seconds (there's one pair of burgundy shell Leeds in my super-rare size waiting for me). Rock them. :slayer: Also: I have a pair of burgundy shell Graysons that I'll be wearing with seersucker to a wedding next month and would love it if they looked like that. Teach us your ways...!

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

If you can wear Walnut in business casual (which I do every week), then you can certainly wear those.

4. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Wow ... that shell looks flawless.

1 person likes this.
  5. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Never say "no" to shell.

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Burgundy shell daltons w/med. grey suit today:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Those look great! I'm wearing a very similar suit, but Walnut Wednesday McAllisters:

[​IMG]

(Edit: Better pic, though still not as nice as yours)

8. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Rocking mine at work today! Crappy phone pic today with a better picture below. Mine are on the lighter side, too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

My Leeds are quite light like the ones recently posted, I am further trying to lighten them as I love the look for casual use. I have been leaving them out in the sun whenever possible, hoping to post some pics when I start to see them turning.

My MacNeils on the other hand are quite dark and I am going to try and keep it that way by getting some Saphir cordovan cream to use on them.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Walnut strands for me today with light blue charcoal suit and yes I felt really weird taking a pic at this angle in my cubicle haha

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Looks awesome, walnut Strand is a classic for sure. Where are those socks from?

12. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Haha not sure if you'd wear then because they're purposely mismatched socks from a brand called the athletic. They're used more as cycling socks but I have a hard time finding dress socks that fit my foot size and these fit well and are thin. This is the other sock. I guess I could've bought two pairs to match them!

[​IMG]

Edit: Hmm I might just do that and buy another pair to match them haha

13. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yea, but then you'd have two left or right socks on..........

14. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Love the Macneils. One of AE's best models.

I believe that AE was using a ligher colored cherryish burgundy for the Macneils a few years ago. Recently, they've gone with a darker burgundy. Mine look like yours and I bought them less than a year ago. I learned this from one of Bucksfan's videos, I think.

15. CalGuy13

CalGuy13 Well-Known Member

Just ordered a pair of bourbon McAllister's, and I want to do the shining thing right this time. Some questions:

Is this guide generally regarded as good advice?
    What color Saphir product is recommended for bourbon shoes?
    Any recommended vendors for Saphir products, brushes, and the like (aside from Hanger Project)?

Thanks!

16. johng70

johng70 Senior member

Remember - guides like that are written by companies that are promoting the sale of products. You don't need to use 3 different, expensive products. You need the proper shoe cream, simple horse hair brush, chamois and cotton applicator. the steps are simple:
    1. Clean off dirt (skip if new)
    2. Apply cream in light circular motion
    3. Buff off with brush
    4. Repeat 2-3
    5. Buff with chamois

About 2 coats and you are good to go. I do a light buffing every few wears. No need to go crazy polishing them every few wears.
    And, most importantly, don't forget edge dressing - it's the leather sole that gets scuffed the most - AE actually makes a nice product - they reduced the size so you no longer have an applicator 4 times the size of the sole you're rubbing it along :)

But you don't need a conditioner, cream and wax polish. Simple still works as well today as it did 30 years ago. As long as the leather quality is good that's the important part.

1 person likes this.
  17. MCanavan6

MCanavan6 Well-Known Member

Picked up a pair of Mora 2.0s during the Anniversary sale, and after swapping them in store for a different size (from 9D to 8D) I am having second thoughts. The fit is good, has anyone had to size down an entire size for these? The only other decent shoes I have are from Meermin but I wear a 8D UK size in those. I am concerned from hearing that the toe box creases fairly badly from not a lot of wear and although I picked these up for $260 am considering returning these. Does anyone have thoughts on swapping these for the Meermin double monks (Hiro last fits me great)? I feel like I am taking a step down but am worried the Mora 2.0 are one of AEs worst models. Also make McAllisters on the way which I have no concerns with.

18. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Somehow this step has been lacking in my current rotation of shoes. How often do apply edge dressing?

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Let me reason through this.

You paid $260 for a pair of high quality, American made, Goodyear welted calfskin shoes, but are considering returning them because you're afraid of creasing.

Perhaps you should consider wearing canvas shoes instead.

Far from being AE's "worst" shoe, the Mora is among its most popular. It's their signature monkstrap.

1 person likes this.
  20. johng70

johng70 Senior member

When I start to notice the scuffs. Again, no need to be anal about it. I look down at my shoes and if the edge (usually at the toe) is scuffed I put the edge dressing on. In actuality scuffs there are much more noticeable than scuffs on the upper - it draws the eye. You're almost always going to have some feathering at the bottom. That's not what I'm talking about and not all that noticeable but when you get a nice scuff half way up the front of the sole people can see it. It's quick, inexpensive and only needed when you see scuffs have gone through the coloring at normal viewing distances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.