Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

That's what I want.

What's the cost of a MTO McClain Bourbon and Bone?
    Never even see them come up on ebay.

Maybe even Merlot and Bone would be good.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. wurger

wurger Senior member

Nice collection, mdubs, for a bare rotatable minimum, I reckon 3 pairs, around 7 pairs are really good, then if you go over that, then you just like shoes and no real rational reason other than you like them and willing to spend on them.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  3. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Pastor, thank you very much! I try to rotate through them. I just have an issue with wearing shoes for the first time. I like to enjoy their perfection for a while before I take them out.

My Ravello's purchases are as follows (since I am not sure which one specifically you are asking about).

-Leisure Handsewn - The Shoe Mart - from the recent deadstock
    -Leisure Handsewn - The Shoe Mart - ordered back in the February timeframe
    -Norwegian Split Toe - The Shoe Mart - few years old
    -Longwing Blutcher - Alden DC - Pre-ordered in January, received in September.

Hope that this helps!

-Mike

4. mdubs

MTO cost is just the cost of the upper if you go through Allison. Would expect that to be around $345 or so. Those would be awesome with rolled edges on the independence sole (and lining).

-Mike

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I'd agree with this. Right now I'm at three pairs of everyday blutchers, another two-soon-to-be-three pairs of boots, the ubiquitous black Park Avenue, and a brown perf captoe balmoral (the Byron) for the rare occasions I'm in a suit during daylight.

Given that my IT-focused office is so casual that we're permitted to wear sandals during the summer and I've never seen anybody else wear ties or sportcoats, my checking account and I don't see the need to go much deeper unless more NOS shell in my woefully-rare size shows up on eBay.

6. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I agree. After getting the basics it's all just a matter of preference. If anything mdubs is missing some monkstraps!

7. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Something posted a while ago, but I thought I'd just share.

I drove out to Paramus, NJ to make some returns at my favorite department store, Nordstrom. I stopped by Pelle Line to check out what I would assume are the last AE Walnut Shell Daltons up for retail sale in the country. Unfortunately, there were none left in my size, but they do look nice. I snapped some pictures to share in case any one wanted confirmation prior to ordering from their website as they list it as brown cordovan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall the store has a good stock of shoes and saphir supplies. They have AE, Aldens and Paraboots. A nice alternative to those in NJ near the area than going into Manhattan. The owners (I believe) were there and very helpful.

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I think you have a great collection, and they all look to be extremely well kept. My collection is similar, though I have a few more AE and RL shell, and fewer Alden models. You have all the majors covered, except perhaps a black cap toe or plain toe balmoral for formal occasions. I'll echo what a few others have said - once you have more than 7 or so, it's because you enjoy shoes as a hobby of sorts, and there is definitely nothing wrong with that. There are others who have a more dress shoes than you have, and many others who have a great deal less.

I personally like having around the 20 range because it fits well into my closet without storing them in boxes, and I wear a pair of shoes about 2x per month (I typically don't wear boots in the summer or loafers in the winter).

I find myself purging a few shoes each year that don't get worn, to make space (and $) for new ones. I also find myself getting more picky with fit.

9. mdubs

Bucks,

Thanks. I have a cap toe balmoral and a ptb in the mail right now. I had a Park Avenue in black and decided to replace it with a MTO black shell Harrison after trying the Harrison on at an AE shop.

-Mike

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Ah, I momentarily forgot what e Harrison was. That will be a great shoe. Enjoy!

11. jerryberry

jerryberry Member

[​IMG]
    walnut strands all shined up. Excuse the phone quality

12. mdubs

Those are looking very nice!

-Mike

13. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Are there any discernible differences between the Concord and McAlister wingtips? To my eyes they look to be pretty much the same.

14. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

WOW. They look great Jerry. How do get the toes look so shiny?

15. jerryberry

jerryberry Member

Thanks for the kind words guys.
    @YoungSweet,
    Usually I do a coat neutral cream polish followed by several coats of kiwi used in conjunction with tiny water droplets and my own breathe. Then I finish off buffing with pantyhose over a brush. Generally i try to use as little water and wax polish as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.