Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njruss

njruss Senior member

I wear 8 3E in McAllisters and I was advised to order 8.5 3E

2. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Maiden voyage of my burgundy shell Patriots today. They're a tad tight in the toes and instep so far, but I'm confident that if they don't break in right on their own, I can always stretch them a tad.

The Daltons I mentioned looked and fit great. The only defect I found was some torn stitching on the inside where the tongue meets the rest of the shoe. Unfortunately, when I put them on for the second time, the tab on the back ripped off. I am honestly pretty devastated. I haven't even the heart to take a picture of it yet. Any chance AE can/will do something for seconds? If not, could a cobbler? I realize that I can't get much advice before showing pics...

3. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

A couple differences, the biggest is that the Neumok is unstructured. So, there's a piece of plastic (actually celastic) in the toe and the heel on normal shoes that give them more rigidity and structure. The Neumok has a piece of leather adding to the structure in those places, but no plastic piece inside. Neumoks don't have a piece of leather strip going around the edges (that strip of black you can see on most calfskin shoes, probably more obvious on walnut colors, but it's there on the darker ones too). Neumoks have an extra piece of leather at the heel, with a piece of foam under it, sitting on top of the normal hard leather insole. On mine, that extra piece of leather is going to also be shell cordovan! Oh, and the Neumok, pattern wise, is definitely a bit longer than either the Cambridge or the McAllister. Don't know why it is, but if you put them side by side, it's across the board longer.

That's basically it. I'm also getting the Banchory's in shell, which are a similar kind of thing, except the last is much, much different than the MacNeil.

And yes, lots of pictures.

4. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Awesome, thanks for the expanation. Lots about shoe construction that I wasn't aware of. I agree that the neumoks look longer, I thought that was just mine. Not sure what you mean about the strip going around the edges. I'll have to go look when I get home.

Looking forward to the pictures, they are definitely some unique MTOs.

5. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

With the grey long branches I just got the leather seems much rougher do any of you gents have experience maintaining these?

6. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

These are still available? or were they MTO?

7. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Hate to speak for dubs, but pretty sure they were MTO.

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I ordered them in September the night that they pulled them down. $110. Pretty amazing deal. I was actually worried that they cancelled them due to the time it took to get. You could probably MTO them if you wanted them.

-Mike

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

All this talk of single vs. double sole...I went with something a little difference on my MTO with double butyl. I love my Alden suede chukkas with waterlock/flexwelt so much I wanted to try and replicate that comfort but still maintain the appearance of a double sole. I'm very pleased with it. While they may not last as long as a double JR sole, I rotate enough shoes that I will likely get 5+ yrs before needing a resole. When we are looking at such long timeframes, I figured that longevity and durability was less of a concern.

For reference, double butyl on left, double JR on right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mdubs

Tif, you can speak on my behalf. No worries. But they technically were not an MTO. Although they did have to manufacture them for me even though they were a close out.

-Mike

11. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

What were they originally? $250?

12. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

I'm a big fan of the double butyl sole, definitely going with that option for my next MTO

13. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Wondering if anyone could give me some insight here.
    I've been having problems with my Eagle County boots from day 1, and i'm not sure if this is a problem with my pair, or if the boot just isn't for my foot. It feels like the heel cup wasn't properly formed, and instead contouring to my heel shape (like all my other AEs, some of which are on the same last), the heel just seems to go straight up from the sole. This makes the boot slide up and down along the back of my heel as I walk.
    After about 3+ hours of wear, my heels start to hurt. I've even developed a blister on one of them. I've worn them around 7 or 8 times, and they haven't really gotten much better, only a touch. Anyone else with this problem?

I'm going to also contact AE and see what they have to add to the situation. I have far too many comfortable pairs of AEs to make me feel like it should be like this. It's causing me to want to wear them less and less.

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

No... I need to stop cause I was WRONG! LOL

15. mdubs

I am honestly not sure, but according to Amazon, yes.

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.