1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrance

barrance Member

BIN stands for Buy It Now, which is a set price for an auction which the seller is willing to accept right away for the item.

A better barometer, I've found, is to search completed items to see where the most recent auctions for your specific shoe/size have ended. In my experience, most eBay auctions typically don't have a lot of bidding activity until the last few minutes of the auction, so even though they might be low now, there's a good chance the final price will be much higher, especially if the price looks too good to be true.

2. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Tree haul is in from Jos Bank... I'm prepped for my next AE acquisitions... LOL

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

Yeah.... Those shoes may have been well taken care of, but they are nowhere near "like new" by any reasonable definition.

I'll be blunt--the seller is either an idiot or a liar. On the few occasions when something like this happened to me, I demanded and received a full refund. I feel that I am doing a disservice to the whole eBay buying community if I let sellers get away with blatantly false sales like this.

4. motosacto

Well, I'm 0 for 2 trying to buy a pair of Brooks Brothers "Long Wingtips" (Macneils). The last pair (described in this post: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/43530#post_7094815) had a misplaced lace tab. This time, the leather on the right side of both shoes is puckered and distorted. Here's a comparison of the black BB shoes to my walnut Macneils (purchased about 4 years ago). The puckering looks much worse in person.

Brooks Brothers has been very good about returns -- but what about AE quality control?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  6. rink

rink Member

Personally, I would keep that pair - that is pretty minor and there no way that any other person beside yourself would notice the crease if you wore them. Does the creasing level out at all once you have laced them up? Also, depending on how your pants fit, your pant leg may cover up that area entirely.

As is often discussed in this thread, each of us has a personal threshold for "imperfections." You appear to expect absolute perfection, which you are entitled to. If it bothers you (which it obviously does), return the pair and try for a third time. But keep in mind that if you look close enough at any pair of shoes you can likely spot something that is not perfect. Finally, I assume you got these during BB's last sale - so think about if you can live with the trade-off of getting the shoes at a great price versus dealing with this minor issue.

Just some food for thought - best of luck finding a pair that better suits you!

7. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Don't see anything wrong with the puckering above. Lace tab looks good too.

8. BCer

BCer Senior member

Them thar's a whole forest of trees! Must be lots of MTO's on the way..

9. rink

rink Member

You can check completed eBay auctions by selecting "Completed listings" under the "Show only" category on the left side of the page after you have run a search.

Also, if, as you suggest, the difference in price between a used pair on eBay and a new pair of seconds is only $25, I would go with the new pair of seconds every single time.

10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

LOL. Nice haul!

11. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

My collection so far. I need some black Cap Toe Balmorals for formal occasions but I keep running into issues with the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue rear quarters being warped. I might go Alden Shell Cordovan instead. Need to find a place to be fitted.

Left to Right: Walnut Strand, Black McAllister, Chili McAllister (all calf)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. cadmonkey

cadmonkey Senior member

I would take this on a case by case basis. The 2 for $250 is a nice deal, but it it rolls around twice (?) a year, so I wouldn't exactly use this as my basis for price unless you consult the seconds list often and plan on waiting around in the meantime.

IMO going above $125 for a pair of lightly used firsts might not be too shabby if the sole/heels are truly in great condition. Size plays a big factor on both ebay/shoebank as far a selection and price go so YMMV. Also, this is minor but shoe bags are always nice, and you only get them with firsts.

13. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Allen-E...qQap8hZilZyqKiGcZDZRI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$75 for that seems to be an pretty good deal even if there is possibility of not being able to re-soled.

14. rink

rink Member

As I stated in my post, I was just using $125 as the base comparison point because that is what @Spiker referenced. And if you are talking about a $25 difference (again, as @Spiker suggests) between new seconds or a used no warranty pair off eBay, I would go with a new pair of seconds every single time versus dealing with the crap shoot that eBay tends to be - as witnessed by the misleading auction described by a fellow SF member a few pages ago. The shoe bags aren't worth taking on that risk, and you can buy those separately for like $10 if you so desire.

15. cadmonkey

cadmonkey Senior member

Nevermind, we are talking about different things here. If a used no warranty pair on the bay pops up while the same shoe is available during the 2 for $250 then yes shoebank is probably the better route.

16. cadmonkey

cadmonkey Senior member

17. taylorswift

taylorswift Active Member

Do you have the links?
    i am looking for some AE shoes.

18. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Beautiful collections...compliments

19. motosacto

In the last couple of years I've picked up a number of shoes made by AE, including Ralph Lauren Sanderson gunboats I got from DSW for $200 or so, Hales I got from AE on clearance, strands from Nordstrom, and a number of others. If I pick them apart, they all have little quirks, but they're all shaped right. Even the made-in-India Florsheim gunboats I bought as beaters, with their cheaper materials, don't show same kinds of assembly defects I found in these two pairs of longwings. Maybe my standards are high, but they've been set there by AE themselves over the last few years. Even at sale prices, I'm just looking for my latest purchase to meet that quality standard. Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm...

20. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

Does the Shoebank charge sales tax to orders from NYC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.