1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rink

rink Member

Cognac Dublin, I believe.

2. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

But you've used both those soles?

3. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Pud buddy, I wish I had your restraint! You're developing your AE collection at a much more manageable and planned out pace. I just have this sugar-daddy who keeps throwing rediculous deals my way, and I'm WEAK! He finally tells me he's "sold out" now, so my suffering may be over...I hope. I dread the next PM saying "hey, found another pair you'll love, in my storage locker". Then the sweats start, paypal transfers begin, transactions complete, shipment tracking numbers exchange, and I have to execute stealth trips across to the states to my parcel depot, where the clerks now KNOW ME, and have my parcels at the cash desk as soon as they see my car drive up. Does this sound like a man in need of an intervention? I worry...

I honestly wake up in the morning, first thing deciding which shoes I want to wear..."feels like a cognac dublin McTavish day today", so in my mind I start deciding which pants will complement those shoes, and what shirt is clean and ready to wear with that ensemble. The whole process starts around the shoes. My latest acquisition - shell MTO Promontories has me wishing spring would slow down, so there are many more opportunities for boots before summer kicks in. Suedes, casual lightweights and light colours can wait dammit...I'VE GOT BOOTS TO ROCK!

I'm a sick sick man, and appreciate coming to this thread to hang out with men of similar afflictions. THANK YOU ALL!! (Tongue somewhat planted in cheek...somewhat)

4. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

This sounds like a serious case of shoe enabling from this shadowy figure. You need to disassociate yourself from this nefarious smack peddler and get yourself into some shoe rehab, bro! The sweats?! Maybe it's time to pair down, sell some shoes, etc. What size are you? 11.5/12 or so I hope. If so, I may be in the market and able to help you out. Let's start with those Shell Prommies...

(Ok, ok, full disclosure: I am BCer's shoe sugar daddy)

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. cpeter47

cpeter47 Member

Hey all,

I just purchased a pair of AE Fifth Ave shoes. The seller described them as "Like New". Am I just being picky or do I have a legitimate complaint? They look like they are seconds with a "No Warranty" stamped on the sole and inside of the shoe. Also, the soles look like they are worn more than what they should be for something claimed to be "like new".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Yes Bl@ster, you truly are a shadowy figure! Lol. If I can get myself checked into shoe rehab, and go willingly, I'll be WEARING the shell Prommies! You'll have to pry those beauties off my feet...Wifey's away on business next week, so I can show them some serious TLC - brushing, Reno, brushing, Reno, brushing, cordovan cream, brushing, soft-cloth-polishing. I fear shell is probably the worst addiction you've only recently introduced me to...my life as I used to know it, is over. Next, it will be Aloha shirts, I'm sure...

7. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Cpeter47

did seller disclose that those are "no warranty" shoes? I believe seller should disclose all the important details in his/her description page.

8. cpeter47

cpeter47 Member

No, they did not say anything about "no warranty".

This is their entire listing verbiage:

These are a Like New pair of ALLEN EDMONDS "FIFTH AVENUE" Oxfords.

Retailed for $345.00
    Size: 10.5 D
    Color: Black

9. cadmonkey

cadmonkey Well-Known Member

Was this off the bay? A lot of those sellers don't take into account how worn the welt stitching or heel caps are when they list. They may list as excellent condition based on the upper and then you get them and you find out you need to go ahead and get a re heel or resole from the get go. My experience anyhow.

10. cpeter47

cpeter47 Member

That's exactly what I believe happened. How close are these to needing resoled?

11. cadmonkey

You could resole as soon as most of the stitching has been ground down and you start to see swirls. Your 5th aves aren't at this point yet, however the "like new" will be pretty subjective. That said, I'm not sure how much no warranty AEs sell for but I think you can obtain 5th ave seconds for a little under $200 via the shoebank so you might account for that should you decide to keep since $345 is the value for firsts.

12. cpeter47

cpeter47 Member

Thanks, I agree with you. These shoes are neither firsts or "like new" so I'm going to request a partial refund.

13. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I always post and ask for photos of the soles.

14. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

How much did you pay for them? Yea, definitely ask for a partial refund of buy a second quality NEW pair for about $199.

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Depending on how the uppers look, I'd dispute for a full refund.

16. cpeter47

cpeter47 Member

The uppers look good, no noticeable blemishes. If I go for a full refund, I don't expect to keep the shoes. I would be willing to keep the shoes because they are in good condition, just not "Like new" and not firsts.

$125 shipped.

I typically would have but I just "made an offer" and didn't expect it to be accepted.

17. inno

inno Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm looking at these on eBay. Gonna ask the seller for a better pic, but was interested in initial opinions. Doesn't really matter anyway -- gonna wait til I get a better look.

18. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

If you get a pair of ebay and it says: no return/no warranty. Can they still be resoled? Will AE still fix it if there becomes a structural problem?

There seems to be alot shoe that are only worn once or twice for only about $70. There are also ones that the sole is barely scratched/completely new. They werent marked as seconds, are they just store returns?

19. cadmonkey

Not eligible for recrafting iirc.

Can't really comment on the second question, but if those are BINs I would cop in a heartbeat. What size/ models are they?

20. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What does BIN mean? Why wont they resole it? More money for them it seems. There are a lot of them that looks almost brand new some sole is flawless and other that was worn for 1 wear. There are 4 shoe under my size Delray, randolph, franscis and Mora for my size all under 70 right now. Those soles looks to be in better condition than the Park Ave that I only worn twice lol.

Some listing are like
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/111337624128
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/111337624130
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Allen-E...8507957?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item1c3fbe1c35

And many others all have rediculously low bids

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.