1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

Interesting. The ones I saw in store were all in the $750+ range and the welt didn't look very bulky (maybe cemented?). That's a lot of money for a cemented shoe.

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

The studio line are usually in the $500 range or at least they were the last time I checked. The tramezza line was in the neighborhood of $950.00.

Generally speaking most things Italian are sleek cars, suits, shoes , dress shirts.

3. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Lexington from the sale.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

^ Those look really sharp. Nice score!

5. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Very nice!

Would you say the toe cap is of similar length as the Strand's? Similar fit as other 5-Last shoes?

6. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

The fit is similar to my other 5-last shoes and the Lex looks awesome, but I'm afraid that the captoe stitching is pushed a little too far back - leading to potential toe creases. I didn't get any creasing at the toe area with my 5th avenues, but there were signs of slight creasing at the toe area as I tried flexing/walking in the Lexingtons. I will report back after wearing them in the next few weeks.

Here's a black captoe oxford, which in my opinion has the proper balance of how far back a captoe stitching should go. Here's a comparison. That's pretty much my only knock on the Lexingtons, but they're a great pair of shoes! (especially at the sale price). Looking back, I don't think I would have mind to MTO a pair with danite or v-tread soles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  7. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

Sometimes, I read your posts, and I think you're buying shoes just to buy shoes. NTTAWWT.

8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

What?

9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Various sizes of Black Promotory boot on Amazon for $175

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Not that there is anything wrong with that

11. green garden

green garden Senior member

Isn't this why we all participate in this forum?

12. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

13. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Does anybody own a pair of the Potomac loafers? Do you like them, and do you know what last they're constructed on? I've never bought one of AE's Jos. A. Bank models, but they're $129 for seconds and I need a new loafer for summer, so I was thinking of taking a shot at them.

14. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I wonder how many people have shoes in their closet that they have never worn. I'll admit that I do. It's not that I'm saving or collecting them but I just haven't had time to break them in yet. I typically like to wear shoes around he office for a few days before I wear them outside and work has been so hectic that I've not had time.

1 person likes this.
  15. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

I just robbed someone on eBay for a pair of Rutledge's for less than $150, barely used.

The Independence collection is VERY nice. And immediately different. The leather is super duper soft and supple and the shoe is VERY comfortable from the get go. A lot less stiff than say, strands.

Stop by a store and feel it!

2 people like this.
  16. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I stopped. I have about 20 pairs of really nice shoes and it's a shame that most never get worn. I really only need about 5 pairs. Live and learn. The way I look at it now, I basically have a "lifetime supply" of nice footwear.

17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah. I've been pretty disenchanted with my footwear lately and have sold a few pairs. I'm hoping to have a few pairs of really awesome, versatile, shoes instead of a 'collection'.

If you find some that are not being used, then sell them!

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

That is kinda where I'm at. I am down to 5 shell Alden and 1 shell AE with a 2 other pair thrown into the rotation. I just added a couple "big hitters" and I think my Cambridge are next on the block. I don't wear Bals that often and I have one black bal that I can wear with every suit I own. So I'll roll the Cambrige into my recent purchases and I'll feel better.

19. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Thankfully I can safely say I wear all my shoes but then again, I'm more or less starting from scratch and don't have as many shoes as you guys.

Including ones I've ordered and don't have in possession, I've got:

2 OSB trench boots (natty cxl captoe and waxed - had four but gave two to bro)
    1 rancourt natty cxl beefroll loafer
    3 strands (walnut, merlot, bourbon)
    3 MacNeil 5 (natty cxl, walnut, dark chocolate)

I think I should be fine with this, hopefully... Haha

20. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

If you're only in your 20's or 30's, you better start getting some use out of those really nice shoes. As you get older, your feet will increase in size ... something to do with tendons loosing their spring and arches relaxing leading to an elongation and widening of the foot.

My buddies and I are in our late-30's and early 40's and we've all had to start buying shoes .5 to 1.5 sizes larger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.